Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Tom Bihn Pilot Annoyance

Tom Bihn Pilot Annoyance

Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Tom Bihn Pilot Annoyance

I have been using the black halcyon Tom Bihn Pilot as my boarding bag for domestic flights and like everything about it save one feature. The slip pocket on the back of the bag has a tendency to sag or "flop" open regardless of whether it's empty or contains items such as periodicals, etc. Do those of you who use the ballistic nylon version experience the same issue? I am thinking that the rigidity of the nylon might provide greater structural integrity and avoid the sagging.

I was considering taking my bag to a local luggage repair shop to either have a snap installed or hook-and-loop fasteners box stitched to the inner pocket surfaces. Any thoughts on how the halcyon might hold to either of these plans??
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Let me get this straight. The zipper opens up on it's own, and papers fall out. Before you go to a repair shop call TB as your bag has a lifetime warranty. I do not have the pilot so I do not know if this normal. It might be a defective zipper as it should not open. TB would know if this is an ongoing problem. Let them try to fix it first before you do any repair work yourself.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Clarification

The problem is not with the zipper; the Pilot uses only a single zipper on the bottom of the rear outside pocket. Opening that zipper forms a pass-through for attachment to a wheeled bag. No problem with closure there. The top opening of that same pocket, however, has no method of closure as it is meant to accommodate magazines, newspapers, and other things that need to be stashed/accessed quickly. Mine sags terribly, even when empty. I have lost a couple of things (non-important) out of it on each of its three trips.

I contacted the folks in Seattle and was told that is one of the traits of the halcyon fabric. They also told me that alteration of the bag (i.e. adding snaps / hook-and-loop) would void the warranty. I guess I just made the wrong choice as I was focusing more on weight rather than structure. I'll probably be going the hook-and-loop route in spite of losing the warranty as I am not pleased with either the appearance or functionality of the bag in it's current set-up.

If you are looking for function coupled with crisp lines, I would recommend the ballistic nylon version.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:20 am

I have some similar issues with a halcyon WF. Its lighter but doesn't hold the shape as well. I have ballistic nylon TS which doesn't have those issues. That said, I new the halcyon material wasn't as sturdy but I'm still debating trying to swap for a ballistic WF.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Halcyon Synapse

I was contemplating ordering a Halcyon Synapse 19 at the same time I ordered the Pilot. Glad I didn't. Changing gears - can anyone suggest a forum (other than Ebay) where I can sell some of the bags I no longer use??All are higher end products (Red Oxx, Tom Bihn, Briggs & Riley) that would probably only be appreciated by frequent travelers.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by LiveOak
...Changing gears - can anyone suggest a forum (other than Ebay) where I can sell some of the bags I no longer use??All are higher end products (Red Oxx, Tom Bihn, Briggs & Riley) that would probably only be appreciated by frequent travelers.
http://1bag1world.com/forum-3/
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:06 am

I have both the ballistic nylon Pilot and a black halcyon Pilot that replaced my black dyneema/original halcyon Pilot a few weeks ago. I use the halcyon Pilot as my EDC bag and the ballistic when I travel and although the later is obviously sturdier and slightly heavier due to the material, I have not had problems with either version having the rear flap sagging.

I have used the original halcyon bag for a while now and have not had issues with the rear pocket unless I take my iPad Pro 12 or MBP 13 cache out of the bag; even if the cache is empty it seems to stabilize the structure of the bag and stop other items from digging into the back. I guess what I am getting at is that the rear pocket only loosens up if I pack the bag towards the bottom with nothing to give it rigidity like the cache (not as much an issue on the ballistic but it will still happen if you overpack it).

Hope that helps
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:38 pm

Not much activity on the OBOW for sales - too bad, I was looking for used gear when contemplating a recent Tom Bihn purchase. There are healthy for sale forums for outdoor gear that I've used extensively.

I just got the Synapse 25 in black halcyon and I was surprised how rigid that fabric felt (at least new). I almost got the Pilot, and would have picked ballistic at the time, but after getting my synapse, I'm not sure. I really like the look and feel of the halcyon.

All that to say, if OP or anyone is interested in selling a Pilot in black halcyon, let me know by PM and maybe I can help you fund your replacement bag.

Best,
Slbear
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Over on the Tom Bihn fora, there is a forum just for registered members, and within that is a bag swap thread. It's not helpful for anyone looking to sell, but if you have TB gear you want to swap-- say a halcyon Pilot for a ballistic-- you might get lucky.

The fora might also have useful tips for fixing the gap issue on the open back pocket. It's a friendly and helpful bunch of people.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 12:15 am

Just saw this thread - for what it's worth, I have the pilot in black halcyon and don't have that problem ... I wonder if they changed the design.

there's a recent pilot review in black halcyon here and doesn't look that that one has the problem either.

Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:27 am

whenever I buy an all fabric/loosy/goosy bag I buy this cut to size. usually about 1/8 inch thick and put it in the last slot with the zipper so that it will provide stability and a flat surface to rest against my side.

http://www.tapplastics.com/product/p...abs_sheets/524

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.