Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

International Travel, "Spinners," Durability, Delsey (?), & Your Advice

Old Jun 17, 2016, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

I am taking a new position that requires periodic extensive international travel in Asia, including a somewhat epic (epic for me at least!) 3 week long jaunt through 10 Asian cities (think Tokyo, Seoul, Manila, Hanoi, etc.) with tons of flights in between. I don't have the "right" luggage for this - at least I'm pretty sure I don't!

I currently use Victorinox soft-sided rolling luggage (I don't know the name of them - purchased them over the past few years - but my carry-on looks like the current WT-22 style and my larger bag is the Werks Traveler wheeled duffle like this http://www.zappos.com/victorinox-wer...160618035159:s).

I've had good success with them (worth the investment I think) but I am frustrated that my larger ("checked" bag) doesn't stand upright typically when heavy/full. It's supposed to, but it always seems to fall over. It's also soft-sided and I've had it get "smushed" (& the contents beaten up).

I need something that is first and foremost durable, but I am also thinking of branching into the "spinner" world (colleague who has done this line of work before suggested that "spinners" were best for navigating travel in this part of the world, easier to move around in crowded places/conditions). I've never gone the "hardsided" route but I also have had several people recommend hardsided luggage for international travel in Asia.

I like what I'm hearing about the fancy Rimowa and Briggs & Riley (?) luggage, but I just can't stomach paying $600 for a suitcase, given that I know it's undoubtedly going to get beaten up.

On the other hand, I keep reading reviews online about various brands that mention wheels breaking early in ownership. I am a bit anxious about having a luggage problem on my inaugural 20-something day trip, given that I will be going "full-speed" each day and taking night flights between cities with colleagues. In other words, there isn't any time on this trip to find replacement luggage....especially in some of the places/cities where I'll be....so durability is really important to me.

Lots of people on here have recommended the Delsey. Can anyone speak to the differences between the "Aero" and the "Titanium" lines?

I have heard conflicting issues regarding the 29" bag and whether it will get called out for being "non-compliant" with some Asian carriers (considered oversize). Has anyone had this happen?

I'm semi-tempted to go the "cheaper" route and buy a Samsonite or the like and just replace once or twice a year as needed...except, I'm worried about the wheels. Am I being overly anxious about the durability issue?

Other brands anyone would recommend? Particularly specific models? I'm looking for checked luggage - fairly large but not so large that it might be oversize and/or a 5'4" petite woman wouldn't be able to navigate.

Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:57 am

Buying and replacing seems like a terrible strategy given your use. Could you imagine flying in somewhere you've never been, late at night, and have to deal with a ruptured bag or broken off wheels - and then getting up the next morning for meetings?

I'd take the disutility of a two wheeled bag, over the decreased durability of a four wheeler.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by JP Chestnut
Buying and replacing seems like a terrible strategy given your use. Could you imagine flying in somewhere you've never been, late at night, and have to deal with a ruptured bag or broken off wheels - and then getting up the next morning for meetings?
This is wise advice. Unless the purpose of your trip is to stress test luggage then I would "go with what you know" if you can and if not, then invest in the best quality you can especially if you expect such travel to be a regular occurrence.

2 vs 4 wheels is a matter of personal preference, especially for checked luggage. There isn't really a right answer:

It would be wise to consider all of your luggage together: can you handle 2 pieces of rolling luggage at the same time? is there a system for hooking your carry on to the checked luggage? Would a backpack or hand luggage work better - you can stack these on top of the check-in luggage. Will you need to project a professional image (travelling with colleagues or taking your luggage to client sites)?

FWIW, I'm not a fan of hard sided luggage, but it is very common in MENA/Asia. I'm not sure if this means it's better, more available or in fashion. What I've noticed is the corners crack or the wheels break. I prefer the Ballistic Nylon in a two-wheeled frame. Use the manufacturer's warranty as a quality indicator but let common sense be your guide.

Asian (or rather really long distance) carriers are a more strict on weight/size limits - especially on full flights and you might find what is allowable outbound is not the same inbound. I would suggest being comfortably under the limits at all times. If you're travelling with work colleagues or clients avoiding a debate at check-in or having to repack at the airport will save embarrassment. Invest in a luggage scale or get a "feel" for how much your luggage weighs. Not knowing this can get expensive real quick.

Finally, and I think this is the thing most overlooked by travellers of all experience levels (including me): learn to pack and keep learning. For some of the locations you've listed it will be very inexpensive to have your clothes laundered (be sure to have a backup). Plenty of YouTube video, blogs and articles on this but also observe other travellers. The less you have to take, the smaller the bag you will need and the easier it will be for a 5'4" petite woman to navigate.

Good luck on your travels.
      Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by The_Diamond_Z
      Finally, and I think this is the thing most overlooked by travellers of all experience levels (including me): learn to pack and keep learning. For some of the locations you've listed it will be very inexpensive to have your clothes laundered (be sure to have a backup). Plenty of YouTube video, blogs and articles on this but also observe other travellers. The less you have to take, the smaller the bag you will need and the easier it will be for a 5'4" petite woman to navigate.
      Good luck on your travels.
      This is excellent advice.....having been traveling to Asia for decades on biz, I'm now down to a large carry-on plus large backpack for my cpap machine, electronic devices/chargers, etc..

Select 3-4 of each type of clothing, matching colors will help; plus if you're traveling summer time, keep in mind it's warm to hot weather so no bulky warm clothes required. Shoes is the most difficult, I travel with one pair dress, one pair sandals and one pair of sneakers......

Hitting multiple countries in 3 weeks means waiting for checked bags, etc. Asian carriers are pretty good about handling luggage (based on Mrs. experience), she uses soft-side Lipault brand spinner. Their durable, well designed, and never had any problems. https://www.lipault-usa.com/ She uses a 26" check in bad and smaller carryon for trips up to 6 weeks in Asia.

Enjoy Asia, you'll have a blast!
      Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:50 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
      It's Rainy Season!

At least in mainland SEA (I am currently BKK based). Don't forget to pack an umbrella that can handle some serious wind gusts and some good rubber soled business appropriate footwear that can handle rain well.

In terms of packing strategy, I would let the luggage allowances be my guide. So be sure to find out which airlines you will ne flying and if checked baggage will be included in your intra-regional flights.

If you decide to replace your checked bag, you may consider a traditional non wheeled suitcase. Such should be able to ride atop your wheeled carry-on. Thus maximizing you luggage weight allotment while reducing the risk of luggage failure.
      Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:28 am

I am a lady based in KUL (Travel a lot between KUL-SIN-TPE) and after living in 4 continents the past decade and millions of miles of air travel, I'd like to think that I've got this packing and flying thing down pat.

I normally travel for 1-2 weeks in each city and this is my travel gear.

1. Samsonite Cosmo Spinner (if any Australian city is part of your travels then pick it up then as they have 40-50% off the Cosmo lite range very often) . I have luggage from this range in a myriad of sizes depending on time/place of travel.

2. Delsey Dauphine 4 wheel spinner carry-on (weights 3.5lbs ,lightest and least flimsy compared to others between 3-5lbs)

3. Cabin Zero backpack( I only use this for flights to North America/Europe where I'll require my laptop, iPad, kindle, books, and 2 days worth of clothes)

I do not use soft-sided luggage in SE-Asia as there's a higher risk that someone will slit my bag and I won't notice till I get to the hotel and also my travel partner and I recently travelled together to Taiwan and there was the massive issue with their airport and bad weather and her belongings were 100% drenched as the bags were sitting outside in the open and mine were maybe 40-50% drenched.

Hope this helps!
      Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
      If you want something durable but not that expensive have you considered Lojel? It's a Japanese brand that doesn't seem that popular in western world. My parents have an old Lojel thay have had for maybe 20 years? It's been checked in and beat up a ton, it's scratched but it never failed. Perhaps anecdotal evidence.

But anyway they're priced competitively and have a few models that spin and use latches rather than zippers (more durability) they even have a model that has an aluminum frame inside.

http://www.lojel.com
      Horizon
      Octa
      Groove (frame version, aluminum frame)
      Kozmos

Are all models that are zipperless. They start at about $200-400 depending on size and material you want.

The ones made of polycarbonate use Bayer branded PC. Should be solid.
      Old Jul 3, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
      I'm eyeing the Rimowa aluminum carry-on. Mainly because of aesthetics and durability - hard case looks more protective than other luggages.
      Old Jul 4, 2016, 3:34 am

Programs: KL, HH
      Originally Posted by pnt1
      I'm eyeing the Rimowa aluminum carry-on. Mainly because of aesthetics and durability - hard case looks more protective than other luggages.
      A big downside of a Rimowa aluminium carry-on is the weight. I was also eyeing a Rimowa Topas carry-on, but went for a Salsa Air instead.
      A Topas weighs like 4,5kg which is more than 1/3 of what I am allowed to bring with me in the cabin (a Salsa Air weighs 1,9kg).
      Old Jul 4, 2016, 5:00 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
      Originally Posted by Iamspecialized
      A big downside of a Rimowa aluminium carry-on is the weight. I was also eyeing a Rimowa Topas carry-on, but went for a Salsa Air instead.
      A Topas weighs like 4,5kg which is more than 1/3 of what I am allowed to bring with me in the cabin (a Salsa Air weighs 1,9kg).
      +1!!

I did the same and was totally pleasantly surprised when I could pack for a full week in 7-8kgs, which seem to be the Cabin luggage weight allowances of many airlines.
      Old Jul 6, 2016, 9:37 am

I can't speak for Delsey, but I've brought along a Samsonite and a Rimowa for many trips in exactly the same locations you are hitting up (and then worse ones too) - and the wheels have held up very well.

Over uneven cobblestoned roads, pot holes, up and down stairs (when it's too heavy or I'm too tired, I can't be bothered to carry them so just drag them up or down) - it's been many years, and apart from getting dirty, the wheels have never given me any issues.

If you are carrying more than 1 luggage, two spinners are much easier to use than 2 rollers.
      Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: AA,DL,UA
      I am using the Samsonite S'Cure Spinner 28:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IOXA8B6/

The black is heavily discounted right now (US$ 140).

Excellent product.
      I used many Samsonite hards cases for international travel.
      They are the best to withstand wet weather conditions, and a lot of abuse.
      Note that zippers are not the best choice to protect the contents during wet weather. The rubber gasket is necessary.
      Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Flying Blue Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriot Plat (TWA / NWA - million miler)
      i have a bunch of zero stuff, that i use from time to time. All purchase used on Ebay, mostly sent for refurishment at halliburton. Only problem is the old style locks, and no wheels. they still work great and secure.

Also have Delsey old club cases - 4 of these that i have had since the 80s. Just broke the handle and wheel off the first one, and have replaced it with a Rimowa Sport. First trip with the rimowa is next week. I think it will work just fine. Its big enough for all my stuff, which includes steel toe boots, hard hat, fall protection gear, etc.

I travel with construction safety gear, suit, work out clothes, etc. On longer trips, i take a stereo that fits in a large storm case - 2 x 100 w speakers, DAC, and cables... My record is 240 lbs of luggage for a 3 week trip. The Zeros, work great for sending wine or documents....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.