Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Business Casual Pants suggestions

Business Casual Pants suggestions

Old May 26, 2016, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
I wouldn't be so choosy about pants. In a business environment, I wash/dry clean shirts ten times as frequently as I do pants.
Exactly. The key is to find pants that fly well, not pants that require bathroom sink washing.

I travel with Ralph Lauren Wrinkle-Resistant Wool Dress Pants in grey and khaki, they're $125 at Macy's, and they lose 80% of their wrinkles just by hanging them in a closet overnight upon arrival. A mere touch of an iron, you're at 100% if you need to be. These are thin too, no need to carry bulky cargo pants or true khaki's, these are cotton wool slacks, very low weight and volume.

BJ
Old May 27, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Dgosche
I'm going to check out the outlier pants posted above, but until then I'll fully endorse bluffworks. I have the classics and the chinos and like them both. Neither are truly dressy in the traditional sense. I'd never wear them to work, but I'm a suit and tie guy. That said, I love them for travel and I've gone to some decent restaurants wearing them without feeling like a tool. They have a great hidden zip pocket to slow down pickpockets and that makes them my go to urban travel pants.
Quite concur - Bluffworks pants are awesome for travel. I find them plenty dressy enough (in tan or grey) for a slacks/blazer/tie sort of outfit, which is as dressy as I ever need when travelling (nice dinners out - I work in tech, and would be mercilessly mocked if I ever wore so much as a blazer to the office).

Rohan has some travel chinos that are also quite good, but a bit less tailored than the Bluffworks regular or chinos
Old May 27, 2016, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Bluffworks sounds like the ticket. I also liked Clothing Arts offerings (www.clothingarts.com) but I'm not a fan of the zippered pocket. I get why they do it for what they're doing, but it's just not as necessary for me.

I ordered a pair of the originals from Bluffworks. One in Khaki, the other in Charcoal. We'll see how it goes!
Old May 28, 2016, 4:18 am

Programs: US Gold
Icebreaker makes a few pairs of merino pants (men's and women's) that might be acceptable - merino, so they dry overnight without wrinkles and pack well, and they're light enough to be pretty adaptable in terms of temperature. I've been very impressed with mine (they're cargo pants, but the pockets are flat, not bulky, and there are tabs to roll up the leg bottoms if it's hot), which are very comfortable, even for long flights, surprisingly comfortable in warmer temperatures, and, paired with silk thermals, surprisingly warm in Alaska last December.

wg
Old May 30, 2016, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by adamsfo
Quite concur - Bluffworks pants are awesome for travel. I find them plenty dressy enough (in tan or grey) for a slacks/blazer/tie sort of outfit, which is as dressy as I ever need when travelling (nice dinners out
I have a pair in gray. Nice enough but I find the material a bit off putting - it doesn't really drape. There is something of a slightly stiff feel to them and they feel like they should be shiny (but they're not which is good). They do resist spills and stains well though.

I find more traditional polyester blends in black and grays are all I need. They don't seem to wrinkle when packed in a folder like Eagle Creek's and they don't show wear or dirt so I can pack two for a week.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:27 pm

Sounds like OP order the Bluffworks originals. Good call. The darker ones can easily be worn with jacket and tie. They don't shrink, unaffected by washing/drying, and love the unnoticeable secure pockets. Both those and their chinos have become staples of my daily and travel gear.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'm pretty impressed with the Haggar H26 line from Target... they feel much nicer than the price & 100% polyester construction would imply and, because of the polyester nature, they pack/un-pack well, usually don't even require a shower-steam, and would likely hand-wash and dry well/quickly too. Unless I need a suit, these are what I travel with now and get 2-3 or more wears per washing.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
I was looking for trousers with almost exactly the same requirements as yours, ended up looking at Bluff Works, and now own 3 pairs! I've been pretty happy with them.

Last edited by progapanda; Jun 3, 2016 at 8:19 pm Reason: Edit: didn't read the other posts also endorsing Bluffworks
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
About to buy some pants and looking at the Bluffworks original regular fit in either charcoal or gray, and the Rohan Fusions.

A couple questions:
- anyone have experience with both BW and Rohan Fusions? Can you compare the fit? I prefer a slimmer fit, although the typical "straight leg" is also okay. I've definitely moved away from a relaxed or baggier fit. Or should I go for the BW chinos instead? The Rohans definitely look a bit more "relaxed" in the pictures.

- If anyone has the BW originals in gray or charcoal, any thought as to how they'd look with black sneakers, given the way the fabric looks more like a dress trouser than a chino?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:09 am

The Fusions are cut much wider than the BW Originals. Go with the BWs if you want a more 'modern' look.

Regarding sneaker, really depends on you and your style. If they are a clean/decent looking sneaker, and you pair it with the right top, it'll look fine. But if you're talking about ratty old sneakers, they'll look strange with the BWs, imo.

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
About to buy some pants and looking at the Bluffworks original regular fit in either charcoal or gray, and the Rohan Fusions.

A couple questions:
- anyone have experience with both BW and Rohan Fusions? Can you compare the fit? I prefer a slimmer fit, although the typical "straight leg" is also okay. I've definitely moved away from a relaxed or baggier fit. Or should I go for the BW chinos instead? The Rohans definitely look a bit more "relaxed" in the pictures.

- If anyone has the BW originals in gray or charcoal, any thought as to how they'd look with black sneakers, given the way the fabric looks more like a dress trouser than a chino?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Just the feedback I was looking for! My sneakers are pretty new and nice. Not that it matters, but these are the shoes I have. They are my everyday shoes - from the office, around town, and to the gym. I think they look nice enough with my current gray chinos. Although they are technically trail shoes, I haven't actually done any trail running in them. I still use my old shoes for that.

EDIT: Ugh, just went to buy the Bluffworks and out of stock in my size for all colors. I guess I'll be the FT guinea pig and try the Betabrand "Best Travel Pants" which are the closest things I can find to the BW. Oddly can't find any 3rd party reviews on them, although the ladies yoga pants and mens sweatslacks seem popular.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Oct 5, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by tentseller
I have four pairs from IZOD: blaçk, navy, beige and charcoal grey. They are light weight, easy to roll up and pack, dries overnight, and light creases come out steamed in shower.
This is the correct answer.

They can be found for $30 at their outlets throughout the country.

They're 5% below the quality/fit/look of Nike and Under Armour pants while being 60% cheaper.

I'm in a hot/nasty/sweaty line of work, and these are my go-to slacks when I need to be presentable after getting pretty nasty.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Costco had some nice "traveler" pants earlier this year (August in NC, I think) and I bought my husband every color. NOT a zip off leg or anything like that. I do think one pocket is zipped, but mostly just a lean profile, slight stretch, and wicking/quick dry, but no plasticy feel. Nice, and for the price- hard to beat. Not available on the Costco website :-( Was this - UB tech pant
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2525383...&ul_noapp=true

I've also bought him some Nike golf pants at thrift stores. $3 in like-new condition, but of course, thrifting is a hobby on its own. I like the feel of the Izod but our outlets haven't had great shapes - too much fullness/pleating.

(for winter, husband also has some Outlier pants - adore! But pricey. And some made of Schoeller fabric - I learned about that here a couple years ago)
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More
Bluffworks. Period.

Made in the USA. Awesome customer service. Zero effort to keep looking good. Hidden security pockets. Have worn them to business meetings with a blazer, on long-haul flights to the middle-east, and to beach bars paired with Hawaiian shirts. They look and feel appropriate everywhere.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: HH, AA
Has anyone tried the Mizzen+Main chinos? They're supposed to be made from athletic fabric to be wrinkle-free and moisture-wicking. I heard about them on a podcast as good travel pants, but haven't wanted to take the $135 plunge.

I'm also looking at the Bluffworks regular fit, but am concerned they might be too baggy - I usually wear a athletic/slim fit chino like the J.Crew urban slim.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.