Search

Petite one-bagger transitioning from backpack to wheels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Good luck in your recovery!

Originally Posted by Boose
Last week I had surgery to remove some lymph nodes from my armpit (along with other stuff), and although I'll make a full recovery, I'll have a small risk of lymphedema (arm swelling) going forward. I have been a staunch - nay, militant - one-bagger, but I think I should consider what to do if I can't backpack on my October Japan trip or other trips in the future. I'm 4'10" tall and my current bag is a Timbuk2 Wingman convertible pack, 19x12x6.5" and 1.9lbs.; it fits under coach seats, so I don't have to stand on my seat to get it in the overhead bin. For coach use, would you recommend any of the sub-5 lb. roller bags below, or another bag I've missed? I thought wheeled backpacks would be light, but I'm finding that unstructured 2-wheel luggage is lighter.
IT Rio 2 16.5x14.2x7.9"

Lipault 0% Pliable 18" Upright 19.6" x 14.5" x 7.87"

Boarding Blue Wheeled Underseater 17x13x9"
I have been using an eBags rolling office until recently when AA started using so many Airbus A319's as it will no longer fit under seat. I use a RedOxx Rockhopper as my 'personal' item. A cheat wheeled student bag may be the answer. I'm going shopping.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hyatt, SPG, Marriott
After ordering and returning 8 bags a few years ago, I use an older version of the Briggs &Riley Transcend Rolling Cabin Bag as my "personal item" that goes under the seat. Not sure if the deminsions are the same, but the newer version looks pretty similar to my bag. While it does not have a flat top, I do put my Aeronaut 45 on top using a
Travelon Bag Bungee Travelon Bag Bungee

When sliding it under the seat, it actually works to my advantage that the top is curved. So many boxes under there these days. Works like a charm, and I have (knock on wood!) never been asked to gate check either bag with this set up.

Hope that helps.

Rgustafs
Old Jun 24, 2016, 8:15 pm

Programs: MileagePlus and a bunch of hotel programs
As promised, I'm reporting back on how the Eagle Creek Under Seat Rolling Tote worked for rolling my Tom Bihn Aeronaut 45 around.

The fully loaded Aeronaut 45 sat pretty solidly on top of the EC bag, but I increased the stability by using a Travelon Bag Bungee. With that, I could set the EC bag fully upright and the Aeronaut wouldn't fall off. I know it looks really topheavy in the photo, but it worked just fine.

I also was able to put the EC bag under the seat in front of me. Granted, I was in first class, but as you'll see from the photo, one of those dreaded personal entertainment boxes was intruding on my underseat space and the EC still fit. (Photo is at a weird angle, I know, but hopefully you can get the general idea.)

Rolling the EC bag, even with the Aeronaut on it, was still easy. I was also able to fit quite a bit in the EC bag.

All in all, I'm very happy with the EC bag and think it will work well for me for this purpose.
Attached Images   
Old Jun 25, 2016, 9:23 pm
KCZ

That's good to know. Thank you for the review. I'm still waffling about what to buy and I'm eyeing this right now. http://www.knomobags.com/uk/sedley-b...ote-grey.html/

ETA: I bought the Knomo during Amazon's Prime Day sale and saved a bundle. Then I promptly returned it. It's beautiful and very well-made. But it's also larger than carry-on size restrictions unless you persistently squish it down, and I doubt very much that it would ever fit in a sizer once packed. The fabric is similar to Lipault bags but this bag is quite a bit heavier than my Lipault carryons.

The search for the perfect wheeled tote continues...

Last edited by KCZ; Jul 20, 2016 at 7:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.