Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

25-26 inch luggage with a clip to attach a second suitcase

Old May 17, 2016, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

I could use some suggestions. My Atlantic 26" checked bag is deteriorating and may need to be replaced.

A major feature of this bag is that it has a clip so that I can attach a strap. The strap clicks into the plastic clip. This allows me to hook the strap around the handle of a second bag and thereby attach and roll my wife's 25" bag along with my bag. I then toss my carry-on on top of the 2 checked bags. So I'm rolling well over 100 pounds all together, but the clip and strap make it easy.

The old Atlantic bag also has a nice "suiter" that goes clips inside when needed. So for the occasional cruise vacation, I can bring a suit and it doesn't get wrinkled.

Looking at replacement 25-26 inch bags (checked luggage), I'm having difficulty finding something with a similar clip and strap. I'd like to continue moving my wife's bag along with mine. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old May 17, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
You can buy a clip like that separately, and attach it to the top handle. For instance, Brookstone has one:
http://www.brookstone.com/add-a-bag-...p/589747p.html
Old May 17, 2016, 6:41 am

Eagle Creek and Rick Steves make 25/26 inch bags with the add-a-bag strap you describe. Maybe TravelPro Crew still does (Atlantic is TravelPro's lower priced brand).
Old May 17, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Briggs & Riley has this feature in some of their 26" cases:

Name:  Baseline_SmartlinkStrap.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  19.7 KB

B & R is not cheap but it does have a lifetime guarantee which covers luggage damaged by the airlines etc.
Old May 17, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Tumult also has it, but buy a strap and forget it.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
eBags TLS 25 inch expandable upright has a built-in strap:
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/t...11660000897095

I saw the Briggs & Riley 25 inch suitcase (mentioned above) at a local luggage store. That's a nice bag, with some very nice features. But it was priced over $500 for something that the gorillas will toss around, so it's a little hard for me to bite and make the purchase.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:09 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K, Marriott Gold, Marco Polo Club
I recently picked up a TravelPro Crew 9 26" expandable rollaboard from their outlet store in Orlando for around $140. Has every feature you asked for, and it's cheap for the quality it offers - a detachable 3-fold suit/garment sleeve, smooth ball-bearing wheels, very solid telescopic handle, and good wear/tear resistance. I've clocked over 50 trips on a 29" Crew 9 roller board and it's still in great shape, so hopefully this new bag will last a long time as well.

If you can't find the Crew 9 (it is being phased out), you can check out the Crew 10, but beware that the telescopic handle is narrower and (IMHO) slightly more flimsy, and it's quite a bit more expensive.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
I saw the Briggs & Riley 25 inch suitcase (mentioned above) at a local luggage store. That's a nice bag, with some very nice features. But it was priced over $500 for something that the gorillas will toss around, so it's a little hard for me to bite and make the purchase.
Yes, it is the conundrum with B & R, high acquisition cost vs the high quality (plus you do pay for that guarantee).

To me, it is worth it if you tend to keep luggage over a longer term - somewhat analogous to getting maximum value if you buy a car and keep it over a long term.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Duplicate
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Yes, it is the conundrum with B & R, high acquisition cost vs the high quality (plus you do pay for that guarantee).

To me, it is worth it if you tend to keep luggage over a longer term - somewhat analogous to getting maximum value if you buy a car and keep it over a long term.
Agreed, I'm a big B&R fan and they do stick to their word on the guarantees. And more subtle than Tumi!

The strap system works effortlessly, by the way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.