Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Bag that comes closest to fitting Spirit's "personal item" requirements?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2016, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I'm on the hunt for a bag that fits exactly (or comes as close as possible to) to, the allowable dimensions for a "personal item" on Spirit Airlines, as I see myself flying with them a lot over the next year.

The dimensions are 16"x14"x12" (40 cm x 35 cm x 30 cm).

I've gotten away with various bags that didn't quite fit one of these dimensions or another, but I'd rather purchase something that will give me peace of mind, so I never have to rely on how nice the person at the check-in counter is feeling on a given day.

The size of the bag is my first consideration, and price would be second (not looking to spend over $80). Third would be style, as a lot of the bags I've seen on Amazon that might otherwise fit the bill are in weird colors/patterns. As a guy I'm just looking for something neutral.

Additionally, it can roll/not roll, doesn't matter to me.

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2016, 6:17 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

A backpack.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:45 am

High Sierra basic boot bag 16 x 14 x 9 softsided and you can stuff it and it will still fit in sizer.

CAIO Rolling tote from Costco too

Family uses both and never had a problem.
Old May 14, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I checked my Ciao bag in the Spirit sizer and, wheels up the wheels protruded, and wheels down the handle protruded. Probably not enough to get caught, but with Spirit who knows. My ex wife and I once traveled on spirit using our kids' Pottery Barn roll-aboards and they fit the sizer almost perfectly.
Old May 14, 2016, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by jlb566
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I'm on the hunt for a bag that fits exactly (or comes as close as possible to) to, the allowable dimensions for a "personal item" on Spirit Airlines, as I see myself flying with them a lot over the next year.

The dimensions are 16"x14"x12" (40 cm x 35 cm x 30 cm).

I've gotten away with various bags that didn't quite fit one of these dimensions or another, but I'd rather purchase something that will give me peace of mind, so I never have to rely on how nice the person at the check-in counter is feeling on a given day.
Frank at One Bag One World posted in Feb. 2016 that Spirit was changing the size of the personal item to 17 x 13 x 8 inches. Check with Spirit before shopping for a new bag!
The size of the bag is my first consideration, and price would be second (not looking to spend over $80). Third would be style, as a lot of the bags I've seen on Amazon that might otherwise fit the bill are in weird colors/patterns. As a guy I'm just looking for something neutral.

Additionally, it can roll/not roll, doesn't matter to me.

Thanks!
Frank at One Bag One World posted in Feb 2016 that Spirit was changing its personal item size to 17 x 13 x 8 inches. Check with Spirit before shopping!
Old May 14, 2016, 8:10 pm

Just read elsewhere that Spirit decided not to change personal item size. Do check with Spirit in case things have changed/not changed.
Old May 15, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
A judiciously loaded Red Oxx Mini Boss is probably the best.
Old May 15, 2016, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I checked my Ciao bag in the Spirit sizer and, wheels up the wheels protruded, and wheels down the handle protruded. Probably not enough to get caught, but with Spirit who knows. My ex wife and I once traveled on spirit using our kids' Pottery Barn roll-aboards and they fit the sizer almost perfectly.
Put the bag in sideways and it fits. Just be sure handle is locked down all the way.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:27 am

Seconding both the Ciao roller and the High Sierra boot bag. We have both and have never been questioned on either one.
Old May 27, 2016, 9:18 pm

Just bought this bag. It's perfect. I hate walmart but I went there to get this. American Tourister Atmosphera II Overnight Tote. It fits perfect, fits a bunch of stuff.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/American-T...-Tote/39507993

You might have to
so it fits in the bag sizer, you might not. I did this and it worked like a charm.

Search youtube for this bag to see how much stuff you can fit in it. Here's

The website Boarding Blue looks like they make bags specifically that fit the standard from Spirit. This bag looks awesome, but I've never tried it.
of all the stuff you can fit in there.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:55 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by brettg
Just bought this bag. It's perfect. I hate walmart but I went there to get this. American Tourister Atmosphera II Overnight Tote. It fits perfect, fits a bunch of stuff.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/American-T...-Tote/39507993

You might have to cut the little protectors on the wheel guards so it fits in the bag sizer, you might not. I did this and it worked like a charm.

Search youtube for this bag to see how much stuff you can fit in it. Here's one example.

The website Boarding Blue looks like they make bags specifically that fit the standard from Spirit. This bag looks awesome, but I've never tried it. Here's a video of all the stuff you can fit in there.

Very much this. It's the perfect rolling underseat bag. And for $30 if you wear it out too fast, you can get another one. But it really is a decent quality bag. At least as good as a mid range Delsey or similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.