Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Is Rimowa Carry On too big for US airlines?

Old May 4, 2016, 11:36 am
Original Poster

We were planning to buy a couple of Salsa Air 22, but they seem to be too wide at 15.x"... the max is 14" I think. Checked their other styles carry on and they all seem to be too wide. I think they will fit inside the sizer but with the top sticking out 1.5"...
Old May 6, 2016, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Need
We were planning to buy a couple of Salsa Air 22, but they seem to be too wide at 15.x"... the max is 14" I think. Checked their other styles carry on and they all seem to be too wide. I think they will fit inside the sizer but with the top sticking out 1.5"...
There will be no problem with most US airlines sizer's since you lay down the bag on it sides and the top part is open so the most critical is height and thickness. In Europe most sizer's are for standing bags and tend to also be a little slimmer so then the most critical measurement is thickness and height. The Salsa Air have been adapted to maximize both these types of sizer's. However this also means that if you encounter a bag-Nazi at check in or the gate who have an issue with it protruding too much on the open end of the sizer then it could be a problem. But fortunately not a very common situation! One issue tough in the type of sizer most commonly used in the US then the lack of a side carry handle will make it harder to pull it out.

The lack of a side handle will also cause issues if you are short and need to carry it down stairs to the tarmac in case the plane is not at a convenient jet way during de-boarding. This bag also do not have a carry handle at the bottom which could be an issue if you find your self having to put the bag in a smaller over head bin that can not accommodate the bag length wise due to lack of depth (more common issue in the front row seats and on flights with none US carriers). In such a situation one solution is to put the bag in wheel out, but this trick will be prevented due to no bottom handle and a top handle that protrude too much and will not budge enough.

Another issue with this bag is the low ground clearance which will make it difficult to operate on 2 wheels on uneven ground because the bottom will scrape against the ground.

Is there anything positive to say about this bag? Well it is Rimowa and on smooth ground has wonderful handling, it almost drive it self hehe also it is light weight and looks good.

But in general this bag is not recommended for its price, too many down sides and on ebags only 80% recommend it. For a bag this price that is quite poor rating!
Old May 9, 2016, 1:15 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Rimowa products sold as carry ons tend to actually come in below what US carriers allow you.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I got them this weekend. My wife insists because it has the ultraviolet color and tumi does not. It is slightly bigger than the tumi we got and a lot lighter (salsa air).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.