New Redoxx Mini Boss--Wow!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Redoxx Mini Boss--Wow!!

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

LordHamster, I just ordered the Mini-Boss and it is on the way. I would like to get the very same Eagle Creek sleeve you use in the Video. There are several different ones online, so, will you please post the site for that exact one?? Thank you
Old May 5, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by John Isaac
LordHamster, I just ordered the Mini-Boss and it is on the way. I would like to get the very same Eagle Creek sleeve you use in the Video. There are several different ones online, so, will you please post the site for that exact one?? Thank you
I don't think they make that one anymore. If I recall I got it from either amazon or ebags. It is definitely the 18 inch size.

When you get it, it will come with a shirt folder and a plastic stiffening board. These can be removed, sacrificing rigidity for less weight. I find these "hold" the clothes in place better than normal packing cubes. Id recommend at least two.

Alternatively, if your trip is to a single hotel or destination, bundle packing can be even more effective.
Old May 6, 2016, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Thank you
Old May 9, 2016, 1:18 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by John Isaac
Comparing the Mini Boss to the XS Aviator is inaccurate---like the proverbial comparison between apples vs. oranges. The Mini Boss is exactly what Redoxx says it is--a smaller (and slightly modified) version of the Air Boss. So the better comparison is between the Air Boss and Mini Boss
The Mini Boss is clearly aimed at the Tom Bihn Western Flyer market. It is meant to be a one bag solution for true overnight or weekend trips.
Old May 9, 2016, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by N1120A
The Mini Boss is clearly aimed at the Tom Bihn Western Flyer market. It is meant to be a one bag solution for true overnight or weekend trips.
My WF is my all-trip bag. For overnights/weekends I was using a Red Oxx Metro for a couple of years. It's a "briefcase" but held my Pack-It sleeve and minimal toiletries along with my tablet PC. I went to the WF a year ago and have used it everywhere - I don't have an issue trying to find a place for a souvenir for the folks at home. The Mini Boss is the same size as the WF without the shoulder straps.

I'm trying the new Minaal bags now. Using the "Daily" for a couple day trip I'm on now and will try their Minaal 2 for a 4-dayer thru Sunday and then I've got a week on the road to really see if it will replace the WF.

Before I got the Bihn bag the Mini Boss would have been just what I wanted. I probably wouldn't have looked at Bihn. Red Oxx is great stuff and customer service is excellent. The Air Boss & Sky Train are just too big for me now. They don't always fit under the seat. It's funny though, with status on the airlines from travelling all the time I don't need to worry about needing to use the under seat area though :-)
Old May 9, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by DiggerJim
... Red Oxx is great stuff and customer service is excellent. The Air Boss & Sky Train are just too big for me now. They don't always fit under the seat. It's funny though, with status on the airlines from travelling all the time I don't need to worry about needing to use the under seat area though :-)
I absolutely agree with you on Red Oxx customer service.

I live with my Sky Train. It always goes overhead!
Old May 19, 2016, 6:23 pm

I sold my Tom Bihn Tristar and kept my Air Boss that I bought in 2009.

About six months ago, I ordered their two compression straps. This addition made the Air Boss an even better bag.

With the Tom Bihn Absolute Strap, The Air Boss is my go to bag for virtually all of my travel needs.

If I need to go smaller, I take my Redoxx Sunchaser instead.

Redoxx... excellent company with a real lifetime guarantee!
Old May 19, 2016, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

I think you are correct---the Mini was designed to go head to head with the Tom Bihn Tristar. I am glad because I ended up selling my Tristar. It is a beautifully made bag, but, it did not take many clothes to make it swell like a bloated tick. The Air Boss never did that, and, compression straps really kept it in check. So, I am looking forward to the arrival of the Mini to see if it works as well as the Air Boss at keeping down that bloat.
Old May 20, 2016, 1:29 pm

LordHamster. I just have one question. Does the bag stand on its own without anything in it? Also what is the total cost of your set up with all the packing cubes and accessories?
Old May 21, 2016, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mellonc
LordHamster. I just have one question. Does the bag stand on its own without anything in it? Also what is the total cost of your set up with all the packing cubes and accessories?
Much like a Tri-star this bag kindof doesn't have much of a depth dimension when not packed. I'd say it compresses down to about 3/4 inch to an inch at most when there is nothing in it. As a result, the bag (just like the tristar) won't really stand on its own with nothing in it. However, if you put minimal stuff in it it should stand reasonably well. Once the width exceeds 4 inches, it stand perfectly.

My loadout is the result of years of collecting stuff... I'll actually be posting additional videos shortly (I lost a bunch due to a glitch with my phone). I don't remember what I paid for the various cubes over the years, but I'd put the value of all the accessories I use to around $75-$100. You can get these type of cubes fairly cheaply online from Eagle Creek and other vendors... or the higher quality versions from RedOxx/Tom Bihn.
Old May 21, 2016, 6:01 pm

Lord Hamster,

Would you please drop a note when you post your new video. I am very interested in your feedback before I buy. I am also very interested in your accessory setup.
Old May 22, 2016, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by AltaBound
Lord Hamster,

Would you please drop a note when you post your new video. I am very interested in your feedback before I buy. I am also very interested in your accessory setup.
I'll be re-filming my review on my trip this coming Monday to IAD.... this short (ERJ175) flight will be a great use case for a video.
Old May 22, 2016, 10:48 pm

I look forward to viewing it
Old May 23, 2016, 2:12 am

Looking forward to the new video too. I'm anxious to get a good replacement for my usual carryon bag. And finances are not too hot atm.
Old May 27, 2016, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Just got the Mini-Boss!!! Actually, it came yesterday but it was in the wrong color. I called Redoxx and, as usual, their customer service was fantastic. First, they said they would send me the correct color bag BEFORE I returned the incorrect one. And second, they sent me the right bag overnight air!!! Just got the correct version and it is fantastic!!! Loved my old Air Boss but it was too big. The Mini is perfect!!!

Last edited by John Isaac; May 27, 2016 at 5:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.