Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Non-leather light-weight brief advice

Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Hello, I really like this site and I've been a reader for a while. Any advice from the wonderful members here would be most welcome:

I'm looking for a non-leather laptop brief that can be used in a professional setting. I am keen on something light-weight and with a back-pocket where I can "store" the shoulder-strap.

My shortlist includes the Victorinox Wainwright 15". I also like a Samsonite ballistic nylon brief called Quadrion Pro (available in Australia where I'm visiting but this brief is heavy!). The only lightweight options seem to be Case Logic briefs which appear less protective and less professional (also look slightly cheaper).

Any thoughts on the briefs listed above? Any suggestions for alternate options would be most welcome. If I am not mistaken, Tumi and Briggs-Riley briefs are likely to be even heavier?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Try Briggs & Riley

I would suggest you look at the medium contact brief. It holds a 15 inch laptop (according to BR) and weighs in at 1KG.

http://www.briggs-riley.com/shop/col...t-medium-brief

So far this is the lightest laptop bag I have found.

Disclaimer: I do not own this bag.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I'm a HUGE fan of Timbuk2 - I have several totes and a messenger bag (that I rarely use but that's another story) They have some new designs that are more "professional" and less sporty (I'm still a fan of the brightly colored ballistic nylon, but I work in academia not finance so it's ok)

http://www.timbuk2.com/function-ipad-kindle-laptop-bags
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
The Tom Bihn Daylight Briefcase is very lightweight (Cordura exterior weighs 12.5 oz; the ultralightweight halycon fabric is just 9.2 oz.) Solid black-- currently sold out but available soon--should fit any professional environment where you'd be open to a non-leather bag. It's very slick looking in person.

It's not padded, so you need to put your laptop in a light case (I use a neoprene sleeve), but that makes the bag more versatile and cuts weight. I've used it on days even when I don't carry my laptop.

In all, it's a great minimalist briefcase and my shoulder and back are very happy since I started using it.

Tom Bihn does a much larger bag, the Empire Builder, if you carry a lot of stuff, and I think this one has the open back pocket to slip over a suitcase handle, but I don't have firsthand experience with this one.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
My issue with Tom Bihn is every bag they make, stylisticly, looks like a camera bag from 1992... the same holds, though to a notably lesser degree, for Red Oxx. I don't think the font/contrast/patch-style of the logo helps this any and I know many of the colors offered contribute to this. I've tried to get past it, but that's the impression I get every time I look at their bags. This isn't my impression of their quality/utility at all, just the surface aesthetic.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, I wish Timbuk2 made more than just backpacks and messengers. I get the crowd they're marketing to, but I like their bags otherwise IF they were offered in a more traditional brief layout without a messenger flap.

If I were looking for a higher-end small/light bag (which I am, just have to pull the trigger) I myself would lean towards one of the BR offerings, but I'd personally probably only need the Contact Small, Small Slim, or one of the similar discontinued models. I use a dual-boot Android/Windows tablet as my only device when traveling 90% of the time and rarely take my either of my 12.5" or 14" ultrabooks with me.

This leads me to one other piece of advice that should be obvious... the easiest way to cut weight from a bag is to take less stuff. I travel with the below items and my bag is extremely light thanks to packing mostly only what I know I need and not going overboard on items only useful in rare/avoidable/adaptable situations. I carry:

- Teclast X98 Plus Android/Windows Tablet in folio stand case
- Generic iPad Bluetooth Keyboard
- Microsoft Designer Bluetooth Mouse
- Aukey 3x USB QC 2.0 Charger
- 3x 1' Micro USB Cables
- 1x 3' Micro USB Cable
- Aukey 10,000 mAH QC 2.0 USB Battery Pack
- Bohm Bluetooth Noise Canceling Headphones
- 4" USB OTG Adapter
- 6" x 8" Notebook & Pen

All the gadgets/chargers fit in an Eagle Creek Pack-It Sac Small. The Tablet/Keyboard slide into the main compartment tablet pocket of the Amazon 11.6" Laptop/Tablet Bag (which will also just barely fit my 12.5" ultrabook when needed). The notebook slides into the main compartment and the pen in one of the pen-loops. The Pac-It Sac and headphones then slide in the front compartment with the headband of the heaphones overlapping the Sac. My phone/wallet/watch reside in the small pocket in front when transiting TSA PreCheck.

Last edited by IsleOfMan; Apr 28, 2016 at 7:47 pm
Old Apr 28, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
My issue with Tom Bihn is every bag they make, stylisticly, looks like a camera bag from 1992...
Hilarious. You're not wrong, IsleOfMan! That especially applies to the boxier bags, and the ones with the buckles (e.g., the Empire Builder and the messenger bags). The ultralight fabric sometimes looks a bit like old-school Le Sportsacs, but a new ultralight fabric without the white grid is being rolled out to combat that.

I can't stand the aesthetics of RedOxx-- they remind me of the crummy bags sold by street vendors, although I know RedOxx makes good bags.

Briggs & Riley and Victorinox both, unfortunately, conjure a certain level of mid-manager despair to me. To my eyes, they're ugly, overdesigned, and heavy. Made for schlepping an 8 lb Dell laptop that runs Windows ME. I am likely not going to win friends around these parts saying that...

Filson makes laptop bags and zippered tote bags, which could be used for toting laptops. They're classics and indestructible; the problem is they (and by that I mean the canvas/bridle leather ones, not the nylon styles) are very heavy. The 24-hour tin briefcase might work-- the tin cloth is much lighter than the canvas models, although there is leather handles and detailing. I'd probably want a different strap, though, as I've never found any of Filson's to be comfortable.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
To my eyes, they're ugly, overdesigned,
As an owner of a beautifully fugly BR brief, I totally agree! However, to my eye most (if not all) non leather/canvas laptop cases fit this description. The redeeming quality of the BR bags is that when they break in, their look softens, especially when not packed full.

The op mentioned liking the Quadrion which google suggests clocks in at 1.4KG. It's difficult to find a reasonably good looking laptop brief given the weight constraint.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Re: Non-leather light-weight brief advice

Thank you for your responses - much appreciated. I will look through these suggestions.

At TPACjv: I believe the contact brief from B-R does not have a back-pocket to store the shoulder-strap.

Waterfield has some nice bags but their "zip brief" is a little too slim to hold anything beyond a laptop and their other bags seem confused about their own identities (messengers vs. briefs).

Any experiences with the Wainwright or the Victorinox Architecture 3.0 series in general?

Thanks again.

(maybe I should give up and buy an Amazon Basics or Case Logic and just be happy with how light-weight the bag is).
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
At the opposite end of the spectrum, I wish Timbuk2 made more than just backpacks and messengers. I get the crowd they're marketing to, but I like their bags otherwise IF they were offered in a more traditional brief layout without a messenger flap.
After checking the Timbuk2 site, it looks like they have a couple of nice briefcase options.

http://www.timbuk2.com/hudson-ipad-m...505_color=2199

http://www.timbuk2.com/strada-laptop...254_color=3293

The Hudson actually looks pretty nice (and no, I don't have either of those, just a standard Timbuk2 messenger bag from about 10 years ago).
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Yes, re: new Timbuk2 designs - that's what I meant - they have some new options that do NOT share the same aesthetic as the bright nylon messenger bag (that I happen to like, but I realize not everyone wants that look - there are times I carry my boring black B&R tote instead of my turquoise Timbuk2 tote )
Old Apr 30, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by turnleftbrighteyes
Hilarious. You're not wrong, IsleOfMan! That especially applies to the boxier bags, and the ones with the buckles (e.g., the Empire Builder and the messenger bags). The ultralight fabric sometimes looks a bit like old-school Le Sportsacs, but a new ultralight fabric without the white grid is being rolled out to combat that.

I can't stand the aesthetics of RedOxx-- they remind me of the crummy bags sold by street vendors, although I know RedOxx makes good bags.

Briggs & Riley and Victorinox both, unfortunately, conjure a certain level of mid-manager despair to me. To my eyes, they're ugly, overdesigned, and heavy. Made for schlepping an 8 lb Dell laptop that runs Windows ME. I am likely not going to win friends around these parts saying that...

Filson makes laptop bags and zippered tote bags, which could be used for toting laptops. They're classics and indestructible; the problem is they (and by that I mean the canvas/bridle leather ones, not the nylon styles) are very heavy. The 24-hour tin briefcase might work-- the tin cloth is much lighter than the canvas models, although there is leather handles and detailing. I'd probably want a different strap, though, as I've never found any of Filson's to be comfortable.
I to have a Tom Bihn bag. That I carry when I don't need a suit. I carry an Everki backpack, and love it of course they have briefcases which are TSA friendly. I find it very well made and it slips over my handle of my roller board. I do have some Red Oxx accersories which are good for travel.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:26 am
Original Poster

I posted a reply earlier that did not appear on the forums - I hope this one does.
--

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. I will certainly look through these options. Any thoughts on the Victorinox Wainwright or their Architecture 3.0 series briefs in general?

It does look like the only real light-weight options are Case Logic and Amazon Basics. Waterfield has some nice designs but their Zip-Brief looks too slim to hold anything beyond a laptop (and it has no place to store the strap).

Finally, at TPACjv: the B-R contact brief does not have a back pocket or flap to store the shoulder strap, but thank you for the suggestion.
Old May 3, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
ebags has a ton of options in a range of prices. The ones below are all 1-2lbs.

http://www.ebags.com/product/samsoni...uctid=10119965
http://www.ebags.com/product/everki/...uctid=10313004
http://www.ebags.com/product/solo/ur...uctid=10322464
http://www.ebags.com/product/everki/...uctid=10313007
http://www.ebags.com/product/victori...uctid=10217022

I have an Everki backpack and am a big fan.
Old May 3, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I have an Everki Advance small brief and it's not of any better build than the similarly sized Amazon Basic bag. Their backpacks and some of the higher-end larger bags seem to be of better build, but their only small bags are in the Advanve line and are of average build quality for their price.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:41 pm

I like the Brenthaven laptop bags. I avoid the Samsonites. But YMMV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.