Wiki Posts
Search

Magenta color for luggage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Magenta color for luggage

Hi,

I'm about to buy a luggage and wanted to get your educated opinion regarding the color.

I have 2 options:
1) Blue (or Black)
2) Magenta

Of course my initial instinct was to go with blue (since I'm a man), but I'm tempted to go with Magenta just because it is way easier to detect it coming on the belt (and less likely people would take it by mistake).

What do you think? How "weird" would it be to go on business trips with a Magenta luggage?

Thanks,
Joe
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: QF
I try and make my checked bags as inconspicuous as possible to deter would be thieves in dodgy places. I would go with blue, magenta doesn't seem business-like.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the input

But aren't most luggage are black and blue? Meaning, especially with short connections, way harder to find the right luggage on the belt?

I'd assume thieves would go for black or blue ones assuming it belongs to business men and has more expensive things inside.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by jjoe123
But aren't most luggage are black and blue? Meaning, especially with short connections, way harder to find the right luggage on the belt?

I'd assume thieves would go for black or blue ones assuming it belongs to business men and has more expensive things inside.
I'm surmising that crows go for shiny objects. I've not had much problem picking my own luggage (on the rare occasions I check something) out of the pile in the past. Have you tried tying a bandana or something onto yours? Some identifying ribbon?
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:47 am
Original Poster

True

Now I have it comes down to 2 luggage to choose from:
1) Samsonite Sphere Lite which comes only in Magenta (that was they have on sale)
2) Travelpro Maxlite comes only in blue (the cheaper price)

Last edited by jjoe123; Apr 24, 2016 at 12:31 pm
Old Apr 24, 2016, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I am all for ease to spot on the belt colour but magenta IMHO is too much for business travel.

My B&R's checked pieces are all flaming burgundy which is a good balance.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

I agree.

But for some reason, most decent (not to expensive) luggage I find are either black/blue or red/Magenta.

There are few purple ones (which I prefer), but not models on sale I see.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Agree the B&R burgundy ones are fine - see how the color compares to those. I personally pick any color other than black.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:47 pm
KCZ

I don't like trying to identify black either, so during my last luggage-buying spree, I bought purple (Lipault). I now can't find new non-Lipault pieces to coordinate with it. If you buy magenta, and you need a second bag in the future, you're likely to be limited to black as a coordinating color.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

I'm less concerned about having a set

Maybe it is just me, but I'm less concerned about having all my luggage match. I mean, having one Magenta, and one purple for instance doesn't sound too bad.

I mean, I usually check them in at the airport, and then leave them at the hotel/car/storage.

Having a durable luggage, and something easily identifiable seems like more important features (at least to me)
Old Apr 24, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: JAL, KrisFlyer
I have one black briefcase-style carry on, one burgundy suitcase, and one light pink suitcase. I HATE pink and burgundy, but at least I can see my suitcases a mile away when they're coming down the conveyer belt at the airport.

Nothing I own matches besides my shoes so I really don't care if my luggage matches. I just want to find it when I need it.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: US Gold
Matching luggage is for tourists who buy all their luggage at the same time for a trip.

I'd go with magenta. Not because I'm female because easy to spot wins. Besides, what thief wants to steal something so conspicuous? You steal the black or blue luggage that's nondescript and hard for policemen, as well as you, to spot. "Stop that guy - that magenta suitcase is MINE" is a lot more practical scenario.

I'm baffled by the idea that it's unsuitable for business travel. Who that you work with is scrutinizing your luggage?

wg
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by wendyg
I'm baffled by the idea that it's unsuitable for business travel. Who that you work with is scrutinizing your luggage?

wg
When you get picked up by driver or staff of clients it matters.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:15 am
Original Poster

I agree.

I mean, I think that nowadays almost any color goes with any sex. I mean, Men go with pink shirts and so on.

And having a easy to spot luggage is a plus. The only downside is that maybe thieves they pry open a luggage are more likely to notice or spot a Magenta Samsonite over a black generic piece.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
An adult with Hello Kitty luggage might elicit comments from my co-workers, but a guy with magenta? Nope. If you like the bag, get it. (I guess this is an area where "know your office/field" is key - I'm in academic research and pretty much anything goes)

I have blue, beige, & orange rolling bags. The orange is my favorite but that's more because it's Eagle Creek than the color (but it's a nice sort of terracotta, not Safety Vest orange, which helps) Beige is a lovely Briggs & Riley, but since I check it on occasion (it's 22") it does get dirty. Haven't tried cleaning it yet because I haven't cared enough.

I have never seen statistics on which color bags thieves are more prone to steal/attempt to steal, so I get what I like (and think will last) and hope no one takes it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.