Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance - Cancel due to work related issues.

Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Has anyone taken insurance for work related cancellations or interruptions? My vacation is 2 months plus away but since it cost me over $3300 , I am thinking I should take work related cancellations / interruptions insurance. Any first hand experience?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:23 pm

CFAR

CFAR = Cancel For Any Reason coverages would include a work event that causes you to cancel /re-book your vacation. Generally, travel insurance providers will reimburse a % (usually 75%) of trip costs. You should cover only your trip costs that are lost due to cancellation. For example, rental cars are usually cancellable up to day of without losing money.

This review site compares travel insurances; See the coverage for CFAR: http://travel-insurance-review.toptenreviews.com/

We selected #1 which has a Custom Luxe plan with this coverage:
http://www.csatravelprotection.com/plan-details

We have used it due to ageing parents risks of health crisis....
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
Has anyone taken insurance for work related cancellations or interruptions? My vacation is 2 months plus away but since it cost me over $3300 , I am thinking I should take work related cancellations / interruptions insurance. Any first hand experience?

I am going through the exact same thing right now.

I have used insuremytrip.com and only have like 2 days left before the 14 day mark to purchase my insurance option.

The cancel for work reason apparently is if you have pre-approved vacation which is revoked, you can then get a signed letter from the company. If you change jobs it does not cover.

The cancel for any reason generally at 75% is suppose to cover for anything, April Travel Protection based on what I read in their certificate is pretty great. It even covers mileage ticket reimbursement fees, like redeposit fees. Again I used square mouth and insuremytrip to compare, prices were the same.

Let me know if you find anything else or better.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If your employer previously approved vacation time and reneges, the employer should cover your nonrefundable out of pocket costs, although not anything that's paid by your travel insurance.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If your employer previously approved vacation time and reneges, the employer should cover your nonrefundable out of pocket costs, although not anything that's paid by your travel insurance.
that would be ideal scenario but i am not sure if employer is legally obligated to pay for those expenses.

I am having a hard time determining the cancel for any reason coverage amount. My total tickets at this time cost $2K, most of the remaining tickets i am using points and same for hotel. Not sure to what extent to guesstimate on total cost.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by cargo13
CFAR = Cancel For Any Reason coverages would include a work event that causes you to cancel /re-book your vacation. Generally, travel insurance providers will reimburse a % (usually 75%) of trip costs. You should cover only your trip costs that are lost due to cancellation. For example, rental cars are usually cancellable up to day of without losing money.

This review site compares travel insurances; See the coverage for CFAR: http://travel-insurance-review.toptenreviews.com/

We selected #1 which has a Custom Luxe plan with this coverage:
http://www.csatravelprotection.com/plan-details

We have used it due to ageing parents risks of health crisis....

Please note I would not trust that website to be unbiased.

The person who wrote that gets commission from those companies.

If you read the comments on those agencies on that same site you can get an idea of peoples experiences.

I would say looking at 'Filed Claim' under insuremytrip or squaremouth would give you better reviews on each insurance company.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joogle
that would be ideal scenario but i am not sure if employer is legally obligated to pay for those expenses.

I am having a hard time determining the cancel for any reason coverage amount. My total tickets at this time cost $2K, most of the remaining tickets i am using points and same for hotel. Not sure to what extent to guesstimate on total cost.
Joogle, any update ? did you buy any? I am still in the market.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:24 pm

I bought from April Travel Protection through insuremytrip, choose the cancel for any reason option.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joogle
I bought from April Travel Protection through insuremytrip, choose the cancel for any reason option.
Okay. April CFAW option is only valid if you buy within 14 days of first deposit. Hope you are within that range..

PS: I just bought TravelSafe Classic which provides CFAW without any days limitations.

Last edited by MNSWEEps; Apr 29, 2016 at 10:46 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.