Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Ambien - or what?

Ambien - or what?

Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by satman40
DEA gives you a number for the scrip pad, and a PDR.

Only cost $500,00 a year..

Drugs have side effects, and a 7 hour flight is not that long...
Medicine or pharmacy is not your thing is it?

1. For a practitioner, the cycle is every 3 years, not every year.
2. DEA certifies practitioners, pharmacies, distributors, and manufacturers. It does not "give" people numbers.
3. AFAIK, CII requires a written prescription which would require the prescriber to add his/her DEA number. However, most modern practitioners use electronic prescriptions now for CIII and below.
4. The DEA does not give you a PDR. PDRs are outdated now. Hardly anyone uses them. Where do you get your (mis)information?

Last edited by Beven12S; Mar 19, 2016 at 2:56 pm Reason: Typo in #1
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Southwest CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I was really nervous about Ambien until I tried it a few times. No Ambien zombie action for me. It lasts about 4 hours and when I wake up I dont feel any different than if I took nothing. The Ambien zombie thing is way overblown and if you look up statistics its quite rare. If you do decide to use ambien remember that alcohol raises the chances that you get weird.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Chardonnay works for me. If I really can't sleep, then Benadryl + chardonnay.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
500.00 is correct, never paid it,

USCAP,

written not electronic for Ambiem,

Not in the scrip business.

PDA ends up in the trash.

Not my thing,,Agreeded.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by satman40
500.00 is correct, Wrong http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/dr...categories.htm

Not my thing,,Agreeded. Correct
Old Mar 19, 2016, 8:56 pm

My favorite drug? A couple shots of bar rail vodka. If you need to make it taste like something, a bloody Mary or a tonic and vodka were all I needed.

I avoid anything I don't absolutely need anymore. I'm not anti-drug, I simply am, like you, hypersensitive.

If you do need some kind of chemical help, I've tried Sublinox, which puts me to sleep, and if somebody wakes me, it allows me to spring into action within a few minutes.

Chuck
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by CKA1
I avoid anything I don't absolutely need anymore. I'm not anti-drug, I simply am, like you, hypersensitive.

If you do need some kind of chemical help, I've tried Sublinox, which puts me to sleep, and if somebody wakes me, it allows me to spring into action within a few minutes.
Sublinox is sublingually administered zolpidem, the same drug as Ambien.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
The best advice here is to try it at home. We're all different and react to drugs differently. Find out what works for you - get this wrong and you'll wake up in a foreign country feeling like a zombie.

For me, I take a couple of whiskeys and a Benadryl. Goodnight Vienna. Two Benadryl and I feel horrible the next day...
Old Mar 22, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Southwest CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
My wife has lucid dreams/nightmares when she takes Benadryl, not good for a flight lol. It doesnt have that effect on me but I do feel groggy the next day.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: Diamond Hilton, Gold Marriott
Someone kind of mentioned it up thread, but do not take anything until the airplane is in the air and established in cruise. If you have to evacuate the airplane, you do not want to be drugged up. Or, what would be more like to happen, is the airplane has a mechanical on the ground, and you have to deboard. You want to have your facilities about you if you have to try to rebook or find a hotel.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 3:41 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've stopped taking Ambien after some odd events including amnesia.

Xanax (alprazolam) is the sleeping Rx of choice for my family and me. .5mg is a handy dose. I take .75mg with my desert on eastbound trans-ocean flights and sleep well for hours and arrive feeling great!

Xanax is actually an anti-anxiety drug that also causes drowsiness. Since it has a short half-life, effects are short (a few hours, not days). It is addictive after a few weeks and should not be taken with very much alcohol.

Oh, the generic (alprazolam) is very inexpensive, too.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 9:30 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by roberto99
Xanax (alprazolam) is the sleeping Rx of choice for my family and me. .5mg is a handy dose. I take .75mg with my desert on eastbound trans-ocean flights and sleep well for hours and arrive feeling great!

Xanax is actually an anti-anxiety drug that also causes drowsiness. Since it has a short half-life, effects are short (a few hours, not days). It is addictive after a few weeks and should not be taken with very much alcohol.

Oh, the generic (alprazolam) is very inexpensive, too.
Doesn't work for me. I've taken 1.5mg and still am wide awake.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Interesting, the company told us they pay $500 for 2 years,

As I said not our thing..we are scope people, and do not see patients.

We are the Doctors, Doctor. The Oncoloygist deals with the patient.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 3:17 pm

I've got a script for 10mg Valium, great medication! Government is trying to get Docs to stop prescribing it.

I take 5mg when I want to sleep and it helps on a long flight.

I feel OK later on and Valium is a proven medication, and not some anti depressant med turned into a sleep or anxiety aid.

YMMV. For me,it works very well.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I have never tried Ambien. I occasionally take Benadryl at night (and only at night) for allergies, when they are bad. I find one is enough to knock me out (not put me to sleep, knock me right the bleep out) for six to eight hours, so I have never tried it on a TATL flight, since it might make me oversleep. I would not want to be completely out of it upon arrival. However, you might want to take one before your trip, and see how you react to it. Caveat: it is an antihistamine, so, even on land, you will need to drink lots of water in the morning. In a dry airplane cabin, make sure to rehydrate well. Benadryl dries you out.

As to other options: a very, very mild alternative is a chamomile lavender infusion (sometimes incorrectly called herbal "tea" in the US). It is quite soothing and relaxing. Bring some in your carry-on, ask for hot water, put on some soothing "spa" music on your headphones, slip on some comfy, fuzzy socks, and maybe try one of those lavender scented eye masks.

Something that always puts me to sleep (but the taste is -- well, you just have to try it for yourself): Valerian mint infusion. It's the valerian that is horrid. The mint covers it up, somewhat. Valerian is a natural sedative, and no joke, it really works, but, in my case, is nowhere nearly as powerful as Benadryl and the like. A valerian infusion will put me to sleep pretty quickly, but I will wake up whenever I need to, without any feeling of grogginess. Again, you should try this at home before your trip, because valerian is some kind of sedative, even if it is just something in a teabag.

And please consult with your doctor, to make sure you are not allergic to anything being suggested, or that any of the suggestions are not contraindicated with any medications you are currently taking.

Have a wonderful trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.