Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Wrist Check. Which watch are you wearing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wrist Check. Which watch are you wearing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I currently have an Orient Cosmos (metal band) and a cheap Timex Weekender with a NATO strap.

I'm thinking about picking up something nice with a leather band, maybe the new Orient Bambino V2 with the cream face.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:58 am
AF1

Seiko SKX is tough to beat for travel, especially in high crime countries when you might not want to stand out and become a target.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:15 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Got a new Archimede Pilot 42H on my way I had to decide between this and a Stowa, plenty of people at watchuseek forums are more than happy with their Archimedes and directed me to this particular model

http://www.archimede-watches.com/wat...matic-42h.html

http://www.archimede-watches.com/pil...her-strap.html

Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: WP
Originally Posted by bulbmogul
Thanks as that is what i wanted to hear. I am going to call them today and ask about brand new watches on what that means? Does this mean brand new in a unopened Box or what does that exactly mean..
I bought 2 watches and both were brand new in box with all documents
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:49 pm

Original Apple Watch, upgrading soon to Apple Watch Series 2. Debating on whether to get regular or Nike+ version. I'm pretty active and the ventilated strap would be awesome, but I also have a 14.5% discount at Target, which only sells the regular version.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
:-:
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Apple Watch... love it for travel.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by ginoa724
Original Apple Watch, upgrading soon to Apple Watch Series 2. Debating on whether to get regular or Nike+ version. I'm pretty active and the ventilated strap would be awesome, but I also have a 14.5% discount at Target, which only sells the regular version.

Thoughts?
If you're active there's no other choice than a Garmin Fenix 3 - Apple's is "lifestyle" watch, not for serious use.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:30 am

My daily wearers/travel watches:

Old Nov 14, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
Used to take a few, but now will only take one practical watch for all occasions.
Either my Planet Ocean or Speedmaster.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:52 am
Suspended

i wear an apple watch i got as a gift. high useless imo tho but my wife bought it
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: Kettle Class
A G-Shock GPS.

Virtually maintenance-free, and no more manually setting and resetting times when entering or leaving a new time zone.

http://www.gshock.com/watches/Master_of_G/GPW1000-1A
Old Nov 17, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GrussGott
If you're active there's no other choice than a Garmin Fenix 3 - Apple's is "lifestyle" watch, not for serious use.
It really depends on what one means by "active" and what your training goals are. If it's merely to get steps, GPS (and therefore pace, etc.), and HR, then an Apple watch is all you need. If you're looking for a smartwatch with fitness features, it's the Apple watch.

But if you want a serious training watch with some smart features (like email/txt notifications, but not much else), then the new Fenix 3 HR (not the regular Fenix 3 model) looks pretty awesome, especially if you do multiple sports.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Nov 17, 2016 at 4:43 pm
Old Nov 17, 2016, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
It really depends on what one means by "active" and what your training goals are. If it's merely to get steps, GPS (and therefore pace, etc.), and HR, then an Apple watch is all you need. If you're looking for a smartwatch with fitness features, it's the Apple watch.

But if you want a serious training watch with some smart features (like email/txt notifications, but not much else), then the new Fenix 3 HR (not the regular Fenix 3 model) looks pretty awesome, especially if you do multiple sports.
yeah, agree completely except for the HR part ... those sensors aren't the most accurate and don't work well with weight training, cross fit etc, nor do they work in the pool or open water. that said, the HR doesn't prevent you from wearing a strap so you can have the best of both if you don't mind the bulk and battery use / configuration hassle.

So yes, Apple watch (or fit bit) is fine for steps, etc but if you're an outdoors person, do serious training for an event or events, or are an endurance athlete then only something like the Fenix 3 or Suunto Ambit3 will work.

The garmin chest strap btw adds pool or running dynamics to the mix for things like VO2max, etc
Old Nov 18, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GrussGott
yeah, agree completely except for the HR part ... those sensors aren't the most accurate and don't work well with weight training, cross fit etc, nor do they work in the pool or open water. that said, the HR doesn't prevent you from wearing a strap so you can have the best of both if you don't mind the bulk and battery use / configuration hassle.

So yes, Apple watch (or fit bit) is fine for steps, etc but if you're an outdoors person, do serious training for an event or events, or are an endurance athlete then only something like the Fenix 3 or Suunto Ambit3 will work.

The garmin chest strap btw adds pool or running dynamics to the mix for things like VO2max, etc
The only reason I like the HR more is that it has a much better display. If better color display doesn't matter and/or you're always going to wear a chest strap anyway, then the regular version wins (also cheaper and slightly longer battery life). Good clarification.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:40 am

Breguet anyone...? Am i making a good choice..? Really really tempting just because..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.