Community
Wiki Posts
Search

About to buy - Is this Rimowa IATA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

About to buy - Is this Rimowa IATA?

Decided to go for the Salsa 22" carry on.

However the site doesn't show 'IATA' - googled for like an hour to see if there's a difference between Salsa and Salsa IATA but can't find the info. If it doesn't have the acronym does it mean it's an older model or has larger dimensions? Or maybe the interior is different?

Or are they the same bag and Barneys just neglected to add the IATA?

http://www.barneys.com/rimowa-salsa-...Rimowa&start=3

Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I don't know about the IATA, but these dimensions are too big for most sizers.

Originally Posted by ElephantGin
Decided to go for the Salsa 22" carry on.

However the site doesn't show 'IATA' - googled for like an hour to see if there's a difference between Salsa and Salsa IATA but can't find the info. If it doesn't have the acronym does it mean it's an older model or has larger dimensions? Or maybe the interior is different?

Or are they the same bag and Barneys just neglected to add the IATA?

http://www.barneys.com/rimowa-salsa-...Rimowa&start=3

Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: QF CL
I have the equivalent case in Limbo. It is not IATA - too big for carry on with most airlines. The depth measurement is the biggest issue in the sizers. Otherwise, it is a terrific little case - my favourite for short journeys when I am relaxed about whether I check in or not.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Ah now I see, thanks for pointing that out. So the IATA is smaller

21.7 x 15.7 x 7.9 in

vs the non-IATA:

22.00 x 17.75 x 10.00"

Can't find anyplace to order the IATA. Only Zappos.com and my credit card won't pay them for some reason.

Guess i'll look for this when I fly to Singapore in a few weeks.

Thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by ElephantGin
Ah now I see, thanks for pointing that out. So the IATA is smaller

21.7 x 15.7 x 7.9 in

vs the non-IATA:

22.00 x 17.75 x 10.00"

Can't find anyplace to order the IATA. Only Zappos.com and my credit card won't pay them for some reason.

Guess i'll look for this when I fly to Singapore in a few weeks.

Thanks.
I wonder if IATA rated bags have actually any practical meaning at the airport. Since various airlines have their own normative references on baggage allowances, checking their website and purchasing smallest possible carry on is way to go, methinks. Considering however current impositions on weight, I find myself spending more time these days on planning, and failing, trips without any carry on. Target is one checked item, and a briefcase. Maybe that´s what airlines wanted all along without actually being so direct about it.
Personal items seems immune to current trends, at least for a while, so I got a new one RFID item from Tumi, since several others in my closet are too big, thus useless, and now I hope to survive whatever comes along.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:36 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
IATA is smaller than what will fit in most US airlines bins. If you travel mostly in Europe and especially on LCCs I'd get the IATA size. If you only fly US I'd get the 22". If you want it to work almost everywhere get the IATA anyway.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 7:37 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
They're also a lot cheaper outside the US. See the threads here on it.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
IATA is smaller than what will fit in most US airlines bins. If you travel mostly in Europe and especially on LCCs I'd get the IATA size. If you only fly US I'd get the 22". If you want it to work almost everywhere get the IATA anyway.
I thought that 9x14x22 sized bag has been universally acceptable to most airlines, despite minor deviation on its height. On my flight from Houston to Mexico not even a tote bag was allowed into a cabin (barely a personal item).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.