Wiki Posts
Search

Travel insurance for ticket purchased through vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2016, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Travel insurance for ticket purchased through vouchers

Hi-

I recently purchased a flight on Delta with vouchers that I received from being bumped from a previous flight. I am going on the trip in a 1.5 months with my wife, who is five months pregnant. Her doctor has given her preliminary clearance to fly, but it is possible that events will transpire in the next month and a half that will prevent her from flying. I was looking to buy travel insurance, but because the tickets were paid almost entirely through vouchers the insurance will only cover what I paid out of pocket. However, the total trip value is somewhere around $1,800, even though most of it was paid through vouchers. Do you know of any insurance I could get that would cover the total value of the trip for cancellation of any reason rather than just covering for what I have paid out of pocket?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Check DL's rules on this. I would guess that if you cancel the trip, you could get vouchers again (good for a year from the original purchase, although there's been discussion at times about whether the date would reset) and would only lose the change fee for your fare, plus of course any nonrefundable hotel deposits, etc. DL is also rumored to be pretty good about waivers for documented medical conditions.

OTOH pregnancy and its complications might be classified as a pre-existing condition by a travel insurance policy, so you need to check this carefully too.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

I called Delta yesterday, and they informed me that I could access the credit for the tickets if I canceled, but I would need to pay $300 per ticket if I were to do that. That's why I was interested in insurance on the whole value of the ticket. Does anyone know of insurance that could cover me?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are going to need to carefully read the terms (policy) and that may differ from state to state and also over time. So, not worth depending on what some producer issued last year.

First, is your wife's pregnancy a pre-existing condition for purposes of the policy and thus would the entire thing not be covered?

Second how does the policy treat tickets not paid for by cash?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Most insurance will only cover you actual expense.

And, in this case, you may have trouble "proving" the actual expense knowing how insurance scams.. I mean companies operate.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:44 am
Original Poster

I've been searching insurance companies that would cover the value of the ticket (rather than just what I paid out of pocket), and so far I haven't found one that would cover this. If anyone knows more about insurance companies that would be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.