Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

trip insurance question

trip insurance question

Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: no status
trip insurance question

We will likely don a few trips in the next year and my current CC does not include trip insurance/cancellation coverage. So we are looking for an insurance provider that has low premium and a decent service record. We don't need medical coverage as out of Province is part of my benefits. When we booked out last Aeroplan trip we used the Blue Cross package which seemed decent, but as we did not renew this apparently are not eligible to sign up again without an AP booking. So what's the best bang for trip insurance these days?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As travel insurance questions are housed in the Travel Products forum this thread has been relocated to that forum.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I guess it depends what you are gambling, er, getting insurance for.

Trip interruption?
Medical Evacuation?
Lost items?
Cancelled trip?

insuremytrip is a good place to search.

My personal belief is that most insurance that people buy is never used, and is often not what they THOUGHT it was. Just remember this. In the end, only one party wins - the insurance company. They make lots of money on this stuff.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 1:01 pm

This website compares the top travel insurance providers. You can pick the coverages you need.

http://travel-insurance-review.toptenreviews.com/

www.reviews.com has info on travel insurance as well.

You are in Canada so your needs may be different but we went with the #1 www.csatravelprotection.com
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Yes posted this in Air Canada section looking for insurance for Canada residents. Mainly interested in cancellation/interruption coverage.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Merlin666
Yes posted this in Air Canada section looking for insurance for Canada residents. Mainly interested in cancellation/interruption coverage.
Totally not saying if you should, or should not get insurance.

But, I am often amused when people say something like "I can not afford to pay for this trip, so I always get insurance".

1 - They apparently can afford it. They already paid for it.

2 - If they do not actually take the trip, the cost is less since many of the expenses will be less. Less food, drinks, shopping, etc.

3 - Some people buy insurance because they do not want to "miss the flight" or "miss the boat". All the insurance in the world will not give you that back or guarantee you will still make the trip. They only offer to pay the money back.
4 - And yes, it does HURT emotionally that you do not get to go. But, you CAN afford it. The question is, can you afford to give someone else your money just in case?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:46 am
Original Poster

I tend to rent a vacation condo that is paid ahead and not refundable or needs to be cancelled months ahead. More than one time in the winter I was not able to get a flight out of town for quite some time and I did not get any recourse through UA or AMEX so took the loss, which was quite higher than a cancellation insurance premium would have been. So for these kinds of trips I think having trip insurance is a good thing.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Merlin666
For those coverage only you should look for credit card with those coverage in Canada.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
For US travellers www.insuremytrip.com has a useful feature where you can compare a variety of companies' policies and their features - and the telephone agents I have dealt with are extraordinarily knowledgeable and helpful.

Don't know whether they do Canada, but their website might indicate a Canadian affiliate.

As for people's doubts about the wisdom of travel insurance - well, it may depend on your age and health (and the age and health of relatives for whose sake you might have to cancel a trip), the cost of your travel, and the bona fides of the insurance company you deal with.

I have several friends who had invested in trips of a lifetime, who suffered major medical emergencies mid-trip. Their insurance covered all but about $50 of the medevac, hospital and surgeons fees, hotel for traveling companion in the city not on the original itinerary, and the flights home, and returned a fair amount of the cost of the unused portion of their trips. Yes they could afford the trip, but they couldn't readily afford to restart or complete the trip later. If you just have a roundtrip plane ticket, some train tickets and a bunch of hostel or airbnb reservations to worry about, you may reasonably decide to assume that risk yourself instead of paying someone else to. To each his own and YMMV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.