Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Food Discomfort Products

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Always Figured

I always figured that when you've got the runs, you don't want to chemically stop them. They're your body's way to rapidly get rid of toxins. But sometimes it is combined with dehydration and cramps. Like I said, my family member who's a nurse says you need to hydrate really well. Immodium isn't just a medication for loose bowels, it's a chemical which people can use without precautions. Even if you aren't taking Immodium, you need to flush out your system as fast and efficiently as possible.

For me, I also like the Pepto tablets. They leave a funny pink guck on my lips, but they're chewable and I can take them everywhere. I keep Tums handy too, I think that's just a calcium carbonate (?) tablet.

I got sick once at school, and a buddy came by my room asking if I had twenty dollars. I figured, "Sure, why not.". I thought he was sponging lunch money. He came back in about half an hour and he brought me several big bottles of Gatorade. I have never been so grateful about a friendship like that. We've been best friends since that, and I will never hesitate to pick up a lunch check or a museum admission because of that. I can never fully repay him for his kindness.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:36 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Other than safe eating and drinking habits, have you thought of getting vaccines for the areas you travel to? I'm usually quite safe but still ended up being mildly but persistently ill on certain itineraries. I finally gave in to my doctor and got the Dukoral vaccine and it made all the difference for me.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
For those lucky enough to be unfamiliar with cipro, it is a very strong antibiotic with a large number of serious side effects and drug and food interactions. The interactions include caffeine and many OTC stomach remedies. It also makes you much more sensitive to the sun and prone to sunburn.

My experience with it is that is caused serious balance problems so bad that I had a number of falls, including one that resulted in a broken bone, and the balance problems lasted more than 6 months. I couldn't even drive while I was taking the stuff. While I had a severe reaction to it, such reactions are not rare according to the doctors and pharmacists I consulted. YMMV.
Also as a side note, Cipro is used to treat people affected with Anthrax. That put Cipro in the spotlight after 9/11.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
It would be helpful if you could specify what's wrong.
Excepting his own direct experience which may or may not be extrapolatable to other people, pretty much 100% of the OP is medically incorrect or contradictory. The nurse does not know anything.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
And your credentials for saying that are????
Substantially better than the Holiday Inn Express thank you very much.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: DL PM, TK Black, AA dirt
Dukoral definitely reduces the level of risk, but its not an all in one solution, unfortunately.

I also highly recommend it, combined with common sense
Old Feb 13, 2016, 4:47 pm

there are 2 separate problems ,

one is the runs and the other is a bad stomach

by the time you use Immodium and it works you have probably already gone to the toilet a few times so not much of the "bad stuff" is left ,

but Immodium is not going to do anything for a bad stomach or something that does not agree with you in the first hour or 2 after eating , Pepto has a better chance ,

But are there other over the counter things that work for one or both problems

or old wifes remedies / local things like the coconut mentioned earlier ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.