Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Why Japanese people prefer RIMOWA so much?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Japanese people prefer RIMOWA so much?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: NH*G, TK*G
Question Why Japanese people prefer RIMOWA so much?

From my experience, the percentage of RIMOWA users at airports is the highest in Japan, EVEN compared to Germany.
Especially, a large part of the elite flyers (inferred from their priority tags, and the locations like priority lanes and lounges) carry RIMOWA suitcases. Roughly 30%???
Anyway, I am wondering why Japanese passengers are in favor of RIMOWA.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
They obviously appreciate top quality.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Because it's a really great piece of luggage
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I noticed the same thing recently when collecting my luggage off of a JAL flight at LAX last month. I've never seen more Rimowa Topas in my life.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:12 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I see the same thing in premium cabins into/out of China. But to Chinese people Rimowa more of a status symbol than a piece of luggage, but that's not to take anything away from Rimowa's quality.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:07 am

I live in Japan (Not Japanese) and I own a Rimowa so I could be one of those flyers you see with a Deluxe Salsa around the airport.

Beside Quality, Japanese people love some brands more than others... and they can afford them more easily than others as well.

I often see the highest rate in the world of MONCLER Jackets / Vest / Coats in Japan than any other place in the world... this jackets are $800 the cheapest I guess and about $2000 the top of line...

Tokyo recently opened a very large RIMOWA shop near shinjuku if I am not wrong , and from my house I could purchase them in 4 different locations within a radio of 10-15km
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: NH*G, TK*G
I appreciate your comments.
Anyway, it was out of expectation that I saw not so many people own RIMOWA in Germany...
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
I'm half Japanese. So is my wife. I work for a German company. The Germans with style seem to prefer Rimowa.

Between us - 2 Topas. 3 Salsa.

Honestly I see more Chinese travelers with Rimowa vs. Japanese these days.

Used to be completely the opposite.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:08 pm

Programs: *G
quality and rimowa are 2 words that are not synonymous.
their polycarb model is known to crack, and the alum hardshell is even more prone to getting destroyed.

it cant be denied that rimowa has cachet, good aesthetics, and pricing that is compatible with the generous japanese buying market. altogether makes good sense

i wouldnt say the japanese in particular has a preference for rimowa, possibly due to some unique cultural ties... (e.g. popularized in a tv show). its simply that wealthy ,fashion-informed demographs , show favor to expensive, pretty-looking luggage.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:57 am

This is 100% speculation but it seems that the Japanese prefer hard-shelled bags in general. It seems to fit in with the neat/orderly/durable mantra of a lot of Japanese design and based on casual browsing in Tokyo, most stores predominantly sell and display hard-shelled bags. Japanese design-y places like Muji also only make/sell hard-shelled bags.

There's a decent amount of competition in high quality soft-shelled bags (Tumi, B&R, Samsonite, Victorinox, etc.) but Rimowa is king of the hill when it comes to hard-shelled bags.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by deniah
their polycarb model is known to crack, and the alum hardshell is even more prone to getting destroyed.
My aluminum cases are holding up very nicely, no sign of destruction. How are they "destroyed"?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Javelin
This is 100% speculation but it seems that the Japanese prefer hard-shelled bags in general. It seems to fit in with the neat/orderly/durable mantra of a lot of Japanese design and based on casual browsing in Tokyo, most stores predominantly sell and display hard-shelled bags. Japanese design-y places like Muji also only make/sell hard-shelled bags.

There's a decent amount of competition in high quality soft-shelled bags (Tumi, B&R, Samsonite, Victorinox, etc.) but Rimowa is king of the hill when it comes to hard-shelled bags.
Yes, you rarely see soft ones around... I think rain and other stuff are put in consideration here too. I could say that easily 75% of the bags you see around are hard cases.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
My aluminum cases are holding up very nicely, no sign of destruction. How are they "destroyed"?
I think he means beaten up, they dent quickly, they are easy to crush, they are pretty fragile, fine for use as cabin trolleys but not for checked luggage.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by KiwiRob
I think he means beaten up, they dent quickly, they are easy to crush, they are pretty fragile, fine for use as cabin trolleys but not for checked luggage.
That's my experience as well.... I use the expensive stuff for when I go by car or for carry-ons but not for cheked luggage. Used to do that but not anymore, most stuff gets destroyed pretty quickly.

Hard polycarbonate or TNF duffle bags it's for me now.....
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by deniah

it cant be denied that rimowa has cachet, good aesthetics, and pricing that is compatible with the generous japanese buying market. altogether makes good sense

i wouldnt say the japanese in particular has a preference for rimowa, possibly due to some unique cultural ties... (e.g. popularized in a tv show). its simply that wealthy ,fashion-informed demographs , show favor to expensive, pretty-looking luggage.
Unfortunately a lot of Rimowa knock offs running around in Asia as well. I could buy an aluminum carry-on for about $100USD, one that appeared to be about the size of a 29" checked bag for roughly $180USD in Shenzhen. I saw them while doing my run through the counterfeit mall this past November, as some call it to see if any of our sports bags were there.

FYI Genuine Rimowa actually is in the top 5 for bag quality when rated as number of warranty claims in the first 12 months of ownership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.