Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

How much does it cost to ship luggage when selling on ebay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

I am currently selling luggage on ebay. I am selling a carry-on (roughly 20") and a 28" large piece of luggage. I matched the shipping cost of other individiuals on ebay. Typically, they charge $15 for shipping on carry-ons and $22-25 for shipping on large pieces of luggage. Are these correct or should I be prepared for paying a lot more for shipping? Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:04 am

Prices vary by UPS ground, depending on zip code etc. best to pack in box, weigh it, measure it and create a dummy ship to get accurate estimate. Use different zip codes to get range.

I sold my Tumi 22" couple of years ago and believe cost to ship from CT to Texas was $35
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Welcome to FT - well, it depends on whether you are using eBay's discounted shipping partner services, i.e. USPS or UPS ground vs. retail rates locally, mostly not qualified for the flat rates. High volume sellers sometimes have choices for using their own negotiated rates, i.e. UPS Surepost (last mile delivery by USPS) - FedEx & DHL have similar arrangements.

From a quick lookup of our eBay purchase history - the above rates are somehwhat "low" - i.e. Costo's Kirkland 22"+ roller at 13+ lbs shipped weight was quoted about $30, but actually higher by about $10 taken to USPS for actual postage due (even when taking into account eBay's discounting/negotiated flat rate deals ... sometimes) If you are near a Staples or authorized UPS shipping outlet, and/or postal office - as suggested, take your items & get an exact price quote.

Keep in mind to add any packaging or boxes, bubble wraps & tapes, etc. and, of course, calculate your selling costs including fees & paypal's - there are forums dedicated to that. Here's one link to their counterpart on Amazon - happy reading & selling
Old Jan 29, 2016, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Shipped Samsonite Oyster 6 yrs ago IAH BUF via UPS ground empty.
No box or wrapping needed. 4 days ground service for $29.55.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Just say the shipping is $30 flat. Some times you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
You might want to indicate where you will ship to when you advertise it, in case you get any international offers!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
You better get your pricing for shipping it in the box you are using, and what your most expensive shipping could be i.e. furthest shipping zone.

You have DIM weights, or Dimensional issues. The 28" bag is probably going in a box that is 30x24x12 (internal dimensions, this would be the smallest standard non-custom box) Now you have to take the external dimensions and round up to the nearest inch. So 31 x 25 x 13 = 10,075 divided by 144 works out to be 69. something rounded up UPS will charge you as if this bag weighs 70lbs in the standard size box for shipping. If you use a box that is slightly large it will be even worse. Even thought the bag, box and materials weighs 12lbs you will be paying potentially a huge amount.

Get it right before you list it, that is my advise. FedEX and the USPS have similar dimensional weight rules as well.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:33 am

If you're shipping yourself via FedEx/UPS, you'll get eaten alive by dimensional weight, which is what FedEx/UPS will charge you if you ship a large but light package. For something carry-on sized, I think USPS will ship it via traditional mail for a reasonable (i.e. for the weight) rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.