Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on Rimowa?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Carry-on Rimowa?

Yup, 'another' Rimowa thread.

I've been carrying a Saddleback backpack for years now, but recently had a motorbike accident and ended up with broken ribs and rotor cuff injuries. The Saddleback was unforgivably heavy (8lbs empty), and horrific when packed full. Tho will say - I've managed a few 24 days trips just out of the backpack by practicing frequent laundry and minimalism.

Anyway, can't lift / carry the backpack right now - looking to go for a Rimowa cause (of course) cause I like the aesthetic.

Will be taking a trip next month with a lot of short EU hops on discount airlines (RyanAir, AirBerlin etc). MNL - BKK - FRA - VCE - IBZ - CIA - MYK - ATH - CAI - BKK - MNL

RyanAir states on website their carry-on limit to be:
21.65" x 15.74" x 7.87"

Yet Rimowa comes in at:
21.7 x 15.7 x 7.9 in

Ever so slightly larger. Has anyone ever had problems with this? I've read to bring the dimensions with me, however again - I might fare better just with a measuring tape from them since it's so close.

Few questions:

I only want carry-on so my choices seem to be:

- Rimowa Salsa 22" Cabin Multiwheel
- Rimowa Salsa 22" Deluxe
- Rimowa Limbo

- Salsa appears to be 1.1 lb lighter (meaningful when airlines restrict you to 10kg)
- Is Deluxe any better made?
- Read that Limbo dents and deforms with it's aluminum interior frame
- Deluxe seems to have a better interior / organizer
- Deluxe has a nicer grip
- Don't care about the add-a-bag feature on Deluxe
- Wanted the limbo but with the reviews about deformation and 2lbs heavier than Salsa I fired that idea

Lastly Salsa comes in matte black, Deluxe only in shiny black. Sad to admit but that alone might push me to the Salsa. I think matte would show less blemishes and really I'm not a fan of shiny luggage.

No matter which I get they will both have more volume than my Saddleback - so I might actually get to have 3 pair of pants instead of 2 this trip!!!

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 10:04 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Deluxe is better made, but for carry-on, lighter should be fine... unless you are asked to gate check.

Anyways I prefer the aluminium even if I get dents.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alphaod
Deluxe is better made,
That's one thing I'm trying to find out. Is it REALLY better made? The dimensions are the same, it seems to be the exact same shell except that:

- Deluxe is shiny
- The handle is better
- There's a pull out strap for holding another bag

Granted the interior divider sys. is superior, can't find anything that says the actual build quality, or polycarbonate is better. If I could find something that said the Deluxe was harder to dent, less likely to suffer a broken lock or deformation then of course I would take it despite the 1.1lb weight increase.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ElephantGin
That's one thing I'm trying to find out. Is it REALLY better made? The dimensions are the same, it seems to be the exact same shell except that:

- Deluxe is shiny
- The handle is better
- There's a pull out strap for holding another bag

Granted the interior divider sys. is superior, can't find anything that says the actual build quality, or polycarbonate is better. If I could find something that said the Deluxe was harder to dent, less likely to suffer a broken lock or deformation then of course I would take it despite the 1.1lb weight increase.
Well, I think it is all on a YMMV. I have a salsa carry on (US Size) and a Topas IATA carry on size - so I use both interiors. I like the zippy mesh in the Salsa. At times I prefer it to the velcro dividers. I have never used the add a bag strap on the Tops. The handles don't seem very different.

Lately, I have been using my black Salsa more often than the Topas. I am amazed at what I can smoosh into each one!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.

Believe I've decided to go with the Salsa (instead of Deluxe). My personal preference is the matte black (shiny just looks cheap), I doubt I will use the bag-strap (like you say) and it's 1.1lbs lighter. As a bonus it's even less expensive.

The build quality was my main concern - and it appears to have the same shell, wheels, zipper and lock.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:23 am
Original Poster

As for people that prefer the aluminum. I can surely understand that it's 'classic' to have a dented and scratched Rimowa, but to me - when I see them rolling around the airport and they're dinged and scratched to hell they look (at least the silver ones) too much like the old metal trashcans we used when I was growing up - https://kimfaires.files.wordpress.co...9/dsc_0610.jpg
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Actually my carry on is doing pretty fine. Only do my checked Rimowa suitcases get severely dented and scratched up, but I don't really care. I mean I've seen hardshells cracked, fabric suitcases torn, so everything has its drawbacks.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:49 am

If you dont have a specific need for external pockets, the Salsa Air is the way to go, as it's the lightest weight/capacity ratio.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:39 am

I believe my comment will be a bit late, but in case you have purchased the salsa yet.

I own a Salsa deluxe and there is only one thing that annoyed me a lot.

Both sides of the carry on are simply attached by the zipper and a small leather / fabric piece which every time you open the bag move lose in many ways specially if you opened in the upright position... the Aluminium ones are more rigid. I used for the convenient pockets outside but if they could re-designed to add something more sturdy on the back will be perfect.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Vote for the Limbo...love the esthetic and it's the best of both worlds. I only use it for carryon so the frame issue isn't really an issue IMO.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: BA, Lufthansa, Virgin, Southwest, Marriot, Accorhotels, Hilton
Salsa Deluxe-possibly late to recommend but for those who still intrested...

I think this is a matter of preference...I personally opted for deluxe as I like to put my hand bag on top/over the handle. Salsa Air will not allow for it with its T handle. but I did like the fact that Air is so light and agonized over the few ounces. Went with Deluxe as I like the option of dividers more, it allows me to pack in a different way. Frankly, both are good choices and I only had to check my suitcase once in Europe, crazy reason. It came out perfect, no damage so far. Suitcase is a suitcase. If you worry about cracks and damage just buy a cheap one or invest in B&R.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.