Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Opinions on "secure" bags, e.g. Pacsafe and Travelon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL

Poking around this board I see varying opinions, with some dismissive of the utility of these bags. I am mostly interested in backpacks or messengers, with the idea that the slashproof panels and straps along with the zipper "security" reduce the chances of lifting contents of the bag.

In 25-30 mostly touristic trips to northern Europe and Asia, I've been targeted for pickpocketing a few times, fortunately not losing anything. My dad and sister have both lost wallets (from pockets and purse, respectively). I had an ipad mini lifted from my backpack (on my back) recently and have experienced other unsuccessful attempts in the past.

Any bags that seem particularly good? Any strategy recommendations that you might have?

I am a male, have always been a front-pocket wallet guy, formerly a messenger/cross-body guy but recently switched to backpacks for comfort. I feel that the messenger format is inherently more secure since the bag is at your side rather than behind you. I generally carry a small interchangeable lens camera (smaller than your average Canon/Nikon DSLR), one or two gadget/toiletry pouches, and a tablet or book, plus miscellaneous items.

Interested to hear current opinions/recommendations.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:57 pm
KCZ

I asked the same question in the women's travel forum recently about shoulder bags, and the consensus was that the travel-safe bags really weren't necessary. I found them to be significantly heavier than my regular bags. I opted for a bag where I could clip my RFID-blocking wallet onto an inner ring in my bag and secure my tablet into an interior pocket. I also used these to fasten the zippers closed. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...rch_detailpage
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've used Pac-Safe stuff in China a decent amount. Nothing lifted, I haven't been aware of any attempts although the hidden zippers could have defeated someone trying for the pack without my ever being aware of it.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I have a Hip/X-Body pack (a large fanny pack/bumbag) that I bought specifically for a trip around Spain last year - visiting Madrid and Barcelona, I was nervous about my micro 4:3 camera. We also needed to have passports and tickets handy for the long distance trains. There is a built in RFID blocking pocket if, you're concerned about that: I'm not, having my stuff lifted was my biggest worry.

I was very happy with the bag - nothing went missing. Was it the bag? I don't know. Did I feel more relaxed having my stuff in there? Absolutely. Certainly worth it for the peace of mind and utility.

http://www.pacsafe.com/camsafe-v5-ca...-hip-pack.html

Edited to add:

I also use an
inside trouser wallet inside trouser wallet
with a loop on my belt, which has proven to be pickpocket resistant for over 30 years. I have taken a mugger wallet if I know I'll be somewhere less savoury: http://lifehacker.com/5858494/survive-a-mugging-by-carrying-a-decoy-wallet-with-a-small-offering

Last edited by MAN Pax; Jan 15, 2016 at 8:15 am
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:05 am

I carry a Pacsafe Metrosafe 250 GII and my wife has the 200 GII and we both love them. I like the bigger volume but both are big enough to carry you daily needs including tablets and in the case of OP he should be able to carry his small camera and lens. If you took the lens off a DSLR I am sure it would fit but the bag would be bulky and these bags are not designed to be a camera bag.

I like the safety features of these bags including being able to secure the bag to the a table, chair, or other unmovable object by the strap at a restaurant. Neither my wife or I find them too heavy.

I also carry Pacsafe wallet with a chain. I carry it in my front pocket and attach it to my belt right above the pocket so only a couple of inches of chain is exposed.

Shak
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:01 am

I just returned from a 12 day trip to Peru that included international and domestic flights and train travel. I onebagged it with an Eagle Creak Gear Hauler and had a Pacsafe Metrosafe 250 GII as my day bag. It has a lot of nice security features as Shak51 pointed out.

During flight I would stow the Gear Hauler in the overhead and the Pacsafe under the seat. I kept all the items I needed access to during flight in the Pacsafe: iPad, headphones, snacks, wipes, camera, pens for immigration forms and documents. When sightseeing I would use it to hold the camera, drink bottle, wipes, maps and small travel gnome/mascot.

Prior to departing I was hoping that I wouldn't have to bring my 15" laptop but my freelance clients said there might be work to do. So it came down to the Pacsafe Venturesafe 45L and Eagle Creek Gear Hauler. Both hold similar loads in their main compartments, but I felt the EC was able to accommodate my laptop better. Interestingly I felt the EC was more anti-pickpocket because the backpack straps are on the front side of the bag where all the compartment zippers are, so the zippers are against your back when you are carrying it. There is a handy 'trunk' compartment at the bottom that is exposed, but I just used that to carry an umbrella, cheap sandals, strap and a Pacsafe 85L safety web bag.

My main objective with the Gear Hauler was to be able to carry on my clothes and laptop on all the flights and it worked well. Even when fully packed it looks small as a backpack and I managed to get it by the check-in (weight with the laptop was around 22-25lbs). As a side effect of this last trip I have been inspired to keep onebagging it (or should it be 1.25 bags with the Metrosafe?). The EC may not be as burly as the high end carry-on bags like Red Oxx, Tom Bihn or MEI, but for the price I paid for it I am definitely happy with how it performed and will probably use it till it wears out. At that point I may look into the high end bags.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Thanks for the opinions

For the moment I've elected to use my existing bags with the Nite-Ize S-clips that KCZ links to in her post. I'm not totally against the PacSafe bags and like the idea of the clip-lock to fasten the bag to a fixed object, as wall as slash-proof panels, but didn't want to buy a new bag.

The locking S-clips do seem like they would deter some level of in-crowd bag-lifting.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
I've pondered this myself and guess the test of the pacsafe type bag would be stories from people whose bags had been slashed but theft had been prevented by the metal mesh. Anyone?
Old Apr 15, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
In 2006 I had my Pacsafe bag slashed on the Metro in Rome-nothing was taken. But the bag was useless after that. Had I or the train moved at all while this happened they would have biopsied my kidney. Never felt ANY tugging or movement of my bag when this occurred.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 11:43 am

While pickpocketing certainly happens (and is downright common in some places), I really question the decreased risk that would happen with a Pacsafe or similar bag. I just don't think my risk of loss will be decreased enough for me to limit my choices (to those brands) and increase the cost of the bag. I hope I'm not proven wrong

While I travel and use a knapsack daily (a North Face Recon), I usually use my sling over-the-shoulder camera bag while wandering the streets on my travels.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:07 pm
formerly dave h.

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can SEA it from here!
Programs: SkyMiles, IHG nobody, HH nobody
Venturesafe 200 GII anti-theft travel bag.

holds iPad, camera, water bottle, maps, RFID pocket for passport/c.cards. metal cables in the straps/body.

Last edited by Dave737; Apr 18, 2016 at 11:14 pm
Old Apr 22, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
We travel internationally a lot and have had attempts made without success.

For a pretty secure backpack we both have this one- you can lock each section.

http://shop.eaglecreek.com/universal...d/d/1479_cl_-1

We also both have Pacsafe Venturesafe GII 200 for the day to day.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I have an original Tom Bihn Ristreto from 2010 that I got with my first iPad. It fit the iPad but not too much else once my quart liquid bag, some chargers, cables etc. were added. The clasp top and open rear pocket of the Ristreto allowed things to fall out or unwanted hands to reach in. Newer model larger Ristreto was not in stock and still too open for my preference.

I wanted something bigger with zippers but still vertical cross-body and more man purse than purse.. I got a Pacsafe Metrosafe LS250. It is not much larger than the original Ristreto but has zippered compartments on front and back so it can get thicker. Also can be filled up more because of zippers instead of more open top. I generally like it, wish it was a little bigger in all dimensions. I do not like that one end of the cross body strap is sewed on. I also do not like the absence of a sleeve capability to place over roller bag handle. I know that is not necessarily "safe" but I would have liked it. So far so good. Security stuff is lagniappe.

Last edited by u600213; Sep 15, 2018 at 8:06 am
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:52 am

I bought a Pacsafe LS200 recently and used it for the first time in Barcelona. Gave me a lot more confidence, and could fit what I needed for walking around every day. As someone else said maybe more of test to hear about attempts that were stopped due to a bag's features. I was very happy with the Pacsafe though.
Dianne47 and oldpenny16 like this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:45 pm

Riut backpack

I have a Riut backpack that has its zippers against my back. Expensive, but more secure than exposed zippers. I also use Nite ize locking micro carabiners as well.

https://www.riut.co.uk

https://www.amazon.com/MicroLock-Steel-S-Biner-Pack-Color/dp/B013Z8NNFW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.