Old Aug 19, 2016, 3:17 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
In brief: B&R Baseline!

Last edited by aktchi; Aug 25, 2016 at 1:51 am
Old Aug 20, 2016, 5:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL, Hhonors, MR, SPG, Enterprise, Hertz
Anything but B&R for me....

I have a Tumi Brief that is 10 years old, looks great with lots of use. (The shoulder strap pad is a little faded.) Zero issues with this under very heavy use.

I have 2 Briggs & Riley Torq Bags, both have failed multiple times in the first year. Local repair center can't fix anything on them except handles.

Used B&R Bags are $90 or less, used Tumi bags are going for more than double B&R counterparts. No one on this forum has offered any advice on selling my B&R bags that have very little use on them. (22" Tumi Alpha 2 selling for $150, 26" for $190, while the most expensive B&R used bag I can find is $90 for a Large Baseline 28").

So my personal experience:

Tumi 120 to 150 trips, plus daily commuter use no issues. B&R: 2 bags not using both at the same time, 10 trips 5 breakdowns and over $300 out of my pocket in shipping to get them repaired.
Winner: Tumi

Aftermarket value or ability to hold value: Tumi

Customer Service:
My only experience was buying the Tumi bag in the Tumi store, buying my Brief was a good experience.
B&R has not been good, no apology on any call for the RMA, the process takes at least 20 minutes on the phone each time, and with no apology they say "With that repair you will have to ship the bag, back to us. You will need to do the following: " Print off RMA......, and yes you have to pay for the shipping back to us, Sir."

Winner of Customer Service: Tumi

My experience with B&R has been my worst luggage experience ever. If it were just one repair, or one bag, but this on both of my bags and they don't have that much use on them.

In conclusion I would pick anything other than Briggs and Riley.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:05 pm

you're comparing the worst possible BR line to Tumi's top line.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:51 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Indeed. I should have clarified that when I recommended BR, I meant "BR Baseline". Now corrected.

Still, while that is my experienced-based opinion, I have known people to have been happy with other luggage, including Samsonite (old line), Hartman (old line), Boyt, Andiamo, Red Oxx (I am a fan myself), and many others including Tumi. If it works for you, that's all that matters.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JP Chestnut
you're comparing the worst possible BR line to Tumi's top line.
If you are referring to me, I don't know.

My Tumi brief is top of the line? OK if you say so. I tried to look it up on their website just now and I can't find the exact same one. The closest one I could find to it, looks like the brief similar to mine is in the bottom half price wise. On the first page 17 of the 24 were more expensive than the one most similar to what mine is.

The Torq bags I have a price from BR that is at the top of the price point. The medium and large Torq's were at the same price as the Baseline Medium and Large Expandable upright bags, and nothing else in the line is near those prices.

I gave personal experience I had with BR on what appears to be tied for their top line, with something that appears to be middle of the line for my brief.

I just ordered new luggage yesterday, and it's neither BR, nor Tumi. I got a private message telling me to hold onto my Torq bags until they are discontinued, and then send them back to BR to get a new model that is maybe better.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:51 pm

Tumi - the tourists' brag

Briggs - the travellers' bag
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by rehken
If you are referring to me, I don't know.

My Tumi brief is top of the line? OK if you say so. I tried to look it up on their website just now and I can't find the exact same one. The closest one I could find to it, looks like the brief similar to mine is in the bottom half price wise. On the first page 17 of the 24 were more expensive than the one most similar to what mine is.

The Torq bags I have a price from BR that is at the top of the price point. The medium and large Torq's were at the same price as the Baseline Medium and Large Expandable upright bags, and nothing else in the line is near those prices.

I gave personal experience I had with BR on what appears to be tied for their top line, with something that appears to be middle of the line for my brief.

I just ordered new luggage yesterday, and it's neither BR, nor Tumi. I got a private message telling me to hold onto my Torq bags until they are discontinued, and then send them back to BR to get a new model that is maybe better.
I was responding to the post directly above my own - so yes. Was your Tumi one of the alpha whatever's? If so, id say that's their top line (maybe not most expensive; price =\= quality). The TORQ, on the others hand, was a disaster at any price. I'm sorry you wasted money on it.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: Independent
Anything but B&R for me....

I have a Tumi Brief that is 10 years old, looks great with lots of use. (The shoulder strap pad is a little faded.) Zero issues with this under very heavy use.

I have 2 Briggs & Riley Torq Bags, both have failed multiple times in the first year. Local repair center can't fix anything on them except handles.

Used B&R Bags are $90 or less, used Tumi bags are going for more than double B&R counterparts. No one on this forum has offered any advice on selling my B&R bags that have very little use on them. (22" Tumi Alpha 2 selling for $150, 26" for $190, while the most expensive B&R used bag I can find is $90 for a Large Baseline 28").

So my personal experience:

Tumi 120 to 150 trips, plus daily commuter use no issues. B&R: 2 bags not using both at the same time, 10 trips 5 breakdowns and over $300 out of my pocket in shipping to get them repaired.
Winner: Tumi

Aftermarket value or ability to hold value: Tumi

Customer Service:
My only experience was buying the Tumi bag in the Tumi store, buying my Brief was a good experience.
B&R has not been good, no apology on any call for the RMA, the process takes at least 20 minutes on the phone each time, and with no apology they say "With that repair you will have to ship the bag, back to us. You will need to do the following: " Print off RMA......, and yes you have to pay for the shipping back to us, Sir."

Winner of Customer Service: Tumi

My experience with B&R has been my worst luggage experience ever. If it were just one repair, or one bag, but this on both of my bags and they don't have that much use on them.

In conclusion I would pick anything other than Briggs and Riley.
Where do you find B&R bags used? I have never been able to find any used luggage outside of a few cheapo things at the local second hand shop. Nothing in a quality recognizable line either in a store or online.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cloudship
Where do you find B&R bags used? I have never been able to find any used luggage outside of a few cheapo things at the local second hand shop. Nothing in a quality recognizable line either in a store or online.
Craigslist
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JP Chestnut
I was responding to the post directly above my own - so yes. Was your Tumi one of the alpha whatever's? If so, id say that's their top line (maybe not most expensive; price =\= quality). The TORQ, on the others hand, was a disaster at any price. I'm sorry you wasted money on it.
I was just giving my experience with both, not really giving a comparison of apples to apples I agree.

Do you agree my best option is to hold onto the bags for a year or two, then send them in again to get a new set for free of whatever replaces them? Or should I just dump them on craigslist and take my licking and hope to get $90 a bag like others are listed for?
Old Aug 28, 2016, 4:19 am

Programs: rafi2k6
My suggestion is go with Briggs & Riley

Niche design.
Looks good.
Easy to use and maintain well.
Better price and reasonable
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:47 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Didn't Tumi change their warranty policy -- isn't it only one year now for EVERYTHING -- that's a huge difference in favor of B&R which really is forever -- and always honored. I've got 5 B&R bags and they just keep going on and they get fixed no questions whenever anything needs fixing which isn't often. I'm sold on B&R. I've never had a significant failure. They really are rugged and they pack great.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
Originally Posted by BLG
Didn't Tumi change their warranty policy -- isn't it only one year now for EVERYTHING -- that's a huge difference in favor of B&R which really is forever -- and always honored. I've got 5 B&R bags and they just keep going on and they get fixed no questions whenever anything needs fixing which isn't often. I'm sold on B&R. I've never had a significant failure. They really are rugged and they pack great.
You words make the Tumi warranty appear out of appropriate context, and making it appear that it is only valid for one year. I am not saying that is your intent, but people shouldn't read something on here, and make a bad decision based on reading something like that. Especially when their warranty is actually better than B&R's during that first year.

1 year fore everything, including freight both ways, from any Tumi store, and loaner luggage during the repair process. (B&R doesn't include freight or shipping whatever you want to call it, nor do they have loaner luggage.)

4 more years of everything except airline induced damage, again includes freight both ways, and the loaner luggage.

Facts are that almost all repairs for workmanship or design flaws are needed in the first year. If a tug runs over your bag, in year 2 you are out of luck with Tumi on the warranty, that isn't the manufacturers fault. With the B&R bag at that point with the bent frame, it will have to be shipped in, and you have to pay for the replacement bag freight, so it will cost you a significant amount of money just in shipping unless it's a small carry on bag.

Last edited by mspreh; Aug 31, 2016 at 9:49 am
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 1MM Dia, AA Plat, UA 1MM Gold, HHonors LT Dia, Marriott/SPG LT Plat Prem
I was just giving my experience with both, not really giving a comparison of apples to apples I agree.

Do you agree my best option is to hold onto the bags for a year or two, then send them in again to get a new set for free of whatever replaces them? Or should I just dump them on craigslist and take my licking and hope to get $90 a bag like others are listed for?
If you want a different bag, cut ties and get whatever money you can for them.

It may take B&R years to get through the inventory they have of your model, even after they have officially discontinued it. They are expected to support the model with parts for 7 years after they officially discontinue the product. So if the zipper is the issue as you described before, even 5 years from now and the line is gone, you will send your bag in, and they will just make the repair, not give you a new bag in a new line, that you might like better.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 10:52 am
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by mspreh
You words make the Tumi warranty appear out of appropriate context, and making it appear that it is only valid for one year. I am not saying that is your intent, but people shouldn't read something on here, and make a bad decision based on reading something like that. Especially when their warranty is actually better than B&R's during that first year.

1 year fore everything, including freight both ways, from any Tumi store, and loaner luggage during the repair process. (B&R doesn't include freight or shipping whatever you want to call it, nor do they have loaner luggage.)

4 more years of everything except airline induced damage, again includes freight both ways, and the loaner luggage. I have found Briggs warranty useful for fixing normal wear and tear past five years

Facts are that almost all repairs for workmanship or design flaws are needed in the first year. If a tug runs over your bag, in year 2 you are out of luck with Tumi on the warranty, that isn't the manufacturers fault. With the B&R bag at that point with the bent frame, it will have to be shipped in, and you have to pay for the replacement bag freight, so it will cost you a significant amount of money just in shipping unless it's a small carry on bag.
Sorry, didn't mean to mislead anyone. I think you've explained it very well. There are obviously pros and cons with both. I would add that I have found the B&R lifetime warranty useful in fixing normal wear and tear beyond five years. I just got a couple of bags back from the factory that are older than five years and they happily repaired a sticky wheel on one bag and the interior straps on my garmet bag. I was happy to pay $25 shipping.

I suppose at the end of the day I'd say that they are both fine bags and I'd buy what I like for my packing purposes first and foremost.

Last edited by BLG; Aug 31, 2016 at 11:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.