Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

New BA personal item restriction: best bag?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by wendyg
I had this problem and have conclluded that the closest backpack match to the specification is the Tom Bihn Synapse 19. I'm waiting for the color I want to come back in stock, so I haven't bought one yet, but they have a very good reputation.

wg
If the new sizer is true to the measurements, you'll have a problem with the width of 7.9" unless you don't pack it full and it squishes smaller, I think.

My question is how the bag will be inspected on a connecting flight - we arrive at LHR at T5 on AA and then transfer over to T3 (or is it the other way around?). We don't need to check in again, but have passport control and security. So who will give us the yellow tag indicating that our personal items comply?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 1:04 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Red Oxx Gator will definitely work.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 2:43 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by critterchick
My question is how the bag will be inspected on a connecting flight - we arrive at LHR at T5 on AA and then transfer over to T3 (or is it the other way around?). We don't need to check in again, but have passport control and security. So who will give us the yellow tag indicating that our personal items comply?
AA arrives at T3 and most BA flights are from T5. There are often agents at flight connections in T5 looking for oversized hand baggage who may provide yellow tags, or otherwise at the gate.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
If the new sizer is true to the measurements, you'll have a problem with the width of 7.9" unless you don't pack it full and it squishes smaller, I think.

What's the itinerary? Where I had trouble the first time was checking into VCE to go to LHR, where I'd switch to AA. AA doesn't care but the BA agent at VCE was a stickler. The second time, landed at T3 from AA, transited to T5 for BA to VCE and that's where I really ran into problems. No leeway.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wendyg
I had this problem and have conclluded that the closest backpack match to the specification is the Tom Bihn Synapse 19. I'm waiting for the color I want to come back in stock, so I haven't bought one yet, but they have a very good reputation.

wg
Looks like it's two inches too wide. Won't fly. Doesn't matter if you can scrunch it in.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N1120A
Red Oxx Gator will definitely work.
Looks good. It's 12 inches though, when 16 is allowed so it' giving up some.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mellonc
this is why I carry this:

http://zerohalliburton.com/collectio...puter-brief-6/

I did the tumi 26141 for a while but it was a tad too narrow. The above bag, however, is 1 inch wider than BA requirement. However, it's fits the United personal item sizer and never been asked on BA flights either.
That's one in over, so there could be a little chance taking depending on the attitude of the GA.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

I've used this bag before and it holds an astonishing amount of stuff. It does get heavy so I will have to pack more intelligently next time.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/k...ductid=1246635
I ordered this one, as it's exactly the new BA dimensions. We'll see how it goes.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: Alaska; American; AMEX MR; Delta; Hilton; Marriott

look at the Pacsafe Slingsafe backpack
15.7x11.2x5.1
on sale now at their website.

http://www.pacsafe.com/slingsafe-300-gii-backpack.html
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT

I use either the Red Oxx Gator bag or the Red Oxx Rock Hopper but I don't overfill either. No purse per se. I also carry a airport shops shopping bag (not too large) for overflow items. My Red Oxx Rock Hopper is the exact same color as my all weather coat so it is seldom noticed.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by nux
AA arrives at T3 and most BA flights are from T5. There are often agents at flight connections in T5 looking for oversized hand baggage who may provide yellow tags, or otherwise at the gate.
I knew I had it backwards. Thanks for the additional info.

Originally Posted by Perche
What's the itinerary? Where I had trouble the first time was checking into VCE to go to LHR, where I'd switch to AA. AA doesn't care but the BA agent at VCE was a stickler. The second time, landed at T3 from AA, transited to T5 for BA to VCE and that's where I really ran into problems. No leeway.
AA LAX-LHR, then BA LHR-BRU. Did you have your experience at the gate or somewhere else? My rollerbag and personal will each fit into the appropriate sizer, but I have to find a personal item for DH. Of course, if our friend we are visiting puts in her usual order for Paul Mitchell hair products, then we'll have to check a bag to carry her liquids. The things I do for friendship!
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
If scoring hipster points is a bonus, then the Swedish Kanken backpack is perfectly sized and quite minimalistic:
http://www.ilovemykanken.com/products/kanken-classic/
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
This is when you bring a Scottevest vest with you.... Put it on when you are about to board, take it off when you get to your seat and put it under the seat.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:12 pm

British Airways compliant under-the-seat bag

Yesterday, I purchased a Heritage Leather Business/Computer Case at my local Office Max for an upcoming trip to London. It's leather. I cost around $110. It's size spec is 16 in x 12 in x 4x. It seems very well made, and it fits more than I had hoped for (2 DSLR bodies, 2 small-ish lenses, an iPad, a 12 in. macbook, batteries, chargers and other small bits and pieces.

The company's website is www.herit.com. The model number is 827365. I hope that helps.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by geister
Yesterday, I purchased a Heritage Leather Business/Computer Case at my local Office Max for an upcoming trip to London. It's leather. I cost around $110. It's size spec is 16 in x 12 in x 4x. It seems very well made, and it fits more than I had hoped for (2 DSLR bodies, 2 small-ish lenses, an iPad, a 12 in. macbook, batteries, chargers and other small bits and pieces.

The company's website is www.herit.com. The model number is 827365. I hope that helps.
Any chance you can post an image or link to the bag - I'm looking for something similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.