Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

what do you look for when purchasing travel insurance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what do you look for when purchasing travel insurance?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2015, 4:40 am

Programs: Flying Blue ; Qatar Privilege Club, KrisFlyer
Got online insurance this year after always buying thru a travel agent. It was worth the extra bit of research. We got six months' comprehensive insurance for two people which came to just under AUD900. By Webjet/Allianz. If I remember correctly, you can select all sorts of inclusions and exclusions that you prefer.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Honestly, I look for trip cancellation as well as medvac capabilities for any reason (since I am a scuba diver). Take a look at DAN policies...great coverage, super reasonable.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/

I've used it before and it's saved my bacon (and possibly my life..pesky nitrogen bubbles).
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:14 am

Is it worth it to purchase travel insurance for a Western European and Mediterranean land/cruise vacation if my job insurance includes international medevac coverage?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:34 pm

Does your job insurance also include international medical coverage? It could be that you need to go to a local facility on urgent care rather than being evacuated to your home country where you have existing health coverage. Ship medical facilities aren't within most medical coverage excepting travel insurance w/ medical reimbursement.

Many travel insurance policies also cover getting to the next port if your inbound travel is delayed such that you miss embarkation, ship cancels the port but you have prepaid for non-refundable independent excursion, theft, and some even cover cancelling/emergency evacuation due to acts of terrorism. It can also cover the price of the cruise if perchance you get ill during the land portion and can't board the ship, either not meeting the health requirements or if you would recover better on land/at home.

"Worth it" all depends on what you're comfortable with working around in IRROPs, where you're going, and your/travel partner/family current health status. You can purchase travel medical coverage without trip interruption, trip cancellation, AD&D, delay insurance, theft, lost luggage and etc.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:23 pm

Thank you freecia for the information. I researched and found one plan that is strictly medical or am I better off with a comprehensive plan?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:23 am

Personally, I would look for emergency medical coverage, trip cancellation coverage and baggage loss coverage on priority. I chose VisitorsInsuranceReviews to buy insurance for my recent trip. It’s worth a try!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.