Search

Travel Jacket/Coat for Women

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Travel Jacket/Coat for Women

Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations for a travel jacket or coat. I have a heavy heavy winter coat but I'm looking something lighter that works up to 40 degree weather and has space to layer a sweater/dress jacket underneath.

My NorthFace Denali jacket works great in terms of warmth but I want something that's a little bit dressy (ie, I can show up to the office wearing it) and that is not as bulky. A hood would be a plus.

I feel guys have some more options on this area between sports coats and travel jackets.

Any recommendations would be awesome!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: US Gold
I'm not the best person to understand office wear, but Land's End sells a range of "squall" outerwear that to my eye looks acceptable and would meet y6our temperature requirements and not weigh too much. The one I guess might suit you is the stadium squall parka, which is knee-length or a bit longer. These items are basically shell with fleece lining; they work well in all sorts of weather and you can manage the sizing so you can fit other clothes underneath.

wg
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I am always looking for water resistant & light to carry on planes and have a couple of the quilted Lands End coats (end of year clearance in past years). Barbour might also have something you're looking for - I like the waxed cotton but it might still be too casual for you.

This is the current version of one of mine http://www.landsend.com/products/wom...97?sku_0=::E66

Sierra Trading Post has a bunch of Barbours in stock now - didn't see any with hoods though http://www.sierratradingpost.com/bar...colorFamily=01
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:00 am

This coat with a zip-out liner from Eddie Bauer might be workable. My friend likes The North Face's Suzanne triclimate jacket for its versatility.

I can't say enough nice things about Arcteryx's Sylva Parka, which weighs in at 1lb 8oz and deals very nicely with being compressed for packing.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:05 pm

I've been eyeing
this coat this coat
as a good rain/light warmth/slightly dressy coat.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, Hyatt - Platinum
I don't have this exact coat, but I have a similar one from a year or two ago from Lululemon that I like at home as well as when traveling. I think the longer length helps dress it up a bit plus Lululemon is generally more fitted than other outerwear brands (Patagonia, North Face, etc.)
http://shop.lululemon.com/products/c...oodies-jackets

Also I think the Barbour suggestion is a good one. I've been considering one, but haven't pulled the trigger due to price. I didn't realize that Sierra Trading Post has them - definitely will be checking that out!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by manderwa
Also I think the Barbour suggestion is a good one. I've been considering one, but haven't pulled the trigger due to price. I didn't realize that Sierra Trading Post has them - definitely will be checking that out!
I have one in my shopping cart, hoping for a 40% coupon on Facebook before it sells out in my size

If anyone is planning to shop at Sierra Trading Post, definitely sign up for their emails and check their facebook page for coupon offers. I think there's a 30% 1 item coupon now but every so often they'll do 25%-40% off everything in an order (but for a limited time - usually the 40% come out in the late afternoon and are good until midnight mountain time....)
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: US Gold
edcaya: does that coat have *any* pockets?

wg
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by wendyg
edcaya: does that coat have *any* pockets?
The Sylva has an interior chest pocket and two exterior slash pockets. The first photo on the product page shows the model with her hands in the outside pockets.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Thanks all for the recommendations.

I have a Barbour quilted parka which I like but I find it too bulky for travel.

I liked the Squall line from Land End. I haven't event heard of that brand. I've been looking at Eddie Bauer's coat and I like it -I think LL Bean has a similar peacoat which I like too. The issue again is that they are bulky.

I wish there was something like a down hoody -warm, compressible and good for layering- that didn't look as if I got lost in a trail and appeared in an office.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
How about Uniqlo? It's a Japanese clothing store - like an H&M. They're known for the jackets being packable with their own carry pouch.

It seemed almost everyone at my work had one of their down jackets or vests two ago when the stores first opened here in SF. There's also some wool peacoats and other types besides the down jackets.

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/women/outer...d-blazers.html
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: Emirates, Miles & More
I always fancied one of Brioni's Iconic bespoke Travel Jackets with 16 pockets, read description below:

In 1968 Brioni created the first travel jacket for a wealthy Californian globetrotter who commissioned a bespoke piece of outerwear for his countless adventures. This original and innovative garment was made with sixteen pockets and compartments to store a variety of essential items of gentleman’s travel equipment: a compass, plane tickets and passport, as well as cigars, watch and wallet. The jacket soon became an iconic garment for Brioni and this unique jacket has since become a staple fixture in the menswear collections.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mbece
Thanks all for the recommendations.

I have a Barbour quilted parka which I like but I find it too bulky for travel.

I liked the Squall line from Land End. I haven't event heard of that brand. I've been looking at Eddie Bauer's coat and I like it -I think LL Bean has a similar peacoat which I like too. The issue again is that they are bulky.

I wish there was something like a down hoody -warm, compressible and good for layering- that didn't look as if I got lost in a trail and appeared in an office.
Look at LL Bean they have a new line of down coats. They also have a lot of coats for ladies that are great for travel, and around the city.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:34 pm

Have you looked at the brand Weatherproof? I purchased a mid-thigh jacket at Costco for only 29.99 or so. It's a mans coat, (I'm female) but nowadays hard to tell the difference. Even my mother liked it and was totally amazed. It has a hood and a double zipper. It's black. I was very comfortable when weather went down to the low 30s. I plan to take this on my European holiday. I also bought a down packable jacket at SAMs Club for less than $25.

LLBean and Lands End have some pretty nice coats as well.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
London Fog is having a sale now. Love their lined (detachable lining) coats:

http://www.londonfog.com/women/outerwear/raincoats.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.