Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red Oxx Rant

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:22 am
Original Poster

Red Oxx Rant

I own a host of Red Oxx bags and have probably put close to 500,000 travel miles on each of them. They are great. With a company that prides itself on listening to their customers, two things baffle me.

If you read the reviews on the Extra Small Aviator bag, there are a number of people expressing a desire for the company to either install (or give the option to install) d-rings so you can add a shoulder strap. Red Oxx refuses to do so for some reason. When last I talked to a customer care rep, they told me to take the bag to a luggage repair shop or cobbler if I wanted that modification. Considering that most of their bags already feature d-rings, I cannot understand what the issue might be. If it's cost, I am certain most people would be willing to pay for the convenience. After all, we paid someone else to add the hardware anyhow.

Second: I use the bags primarily for business trips. As such, black seems to be the color most accepted in my world. I asked if I could have the vibrant red insignia and logo patches swapped out for a more subdued color (i.e. gray or midnight) on an Air Boss. Again, the answer was NO.

I am certain that there is an extensive inventory of the various color patches in the manufacturing facility. Why does a red patch HAVE to go on a black bag? Inquiring minds want to know.

On the recommendation of another Flyertalk forum member, I contacted MEI and was amazed to have talked with the owner in person. He told me they would be happy to fabricate a bag to MY preferences. I took him up on the offer. The result - a bag that is exactly the way I want it (color, hardware, and dimensions) for roughly the same price as the Air Boss. (There was a two-week production time.) 50,000 miles and numerous segments later, the bag is performing like a champ.

Looks like Billings will be in my rear view mirror.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Look at ww.assault systems.com. They have bags very similar to red oxx aviator bags. I have had these bags going on 30 years. They have a life time warranty which they stand behind. They used to be the bags that the Secret Service used. They all come with a strap with D rings. Of course I have no vested interest except as a customer.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: AC S100K
Originally Posted by LiveOak

Second: I use the bags primarily for business trips. As such, black seems to be the color most accepted in my world. I asked if I could have the vibrant red insignia and logo patches swapped out for a more subdued color (i.e. gray or midnight) on an Air Boss. Again, the answer was NO.

I am certain that there is an extensive inventory of the various color patches in the manufacturing facility. Why does a red patch HAVE to go on a black bag? Inquiring minds want to know.
I too had this wish when ordering my Air Boss. While they did deny the custom assembly, a set of patches in my preferred colour did arrive with the bag. No complaints here.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: AA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by LiveOak
I own a host of Red Oxx bags and have probably put close to 500,000 travel miles on each of them. They are great. With a company that prides itself on listening to their customers, two things baffle me.

If you read the reviews on the Extra Small Aviator bag, there are a number of people expressing a desire for the company to either install (or give the option to install) d-rings so you can add a shoulder strap. Red Oxx refuses to do so for some reason. When last I talked to a customer care rep, they told me to take the bag to a luggage repair shop or cobbler if I wanted that modification. Considering that most of their bags already feature d-rings, I cannot understand what the issue might be. If it's cost, I am certain most people would be willing to pay for the convenience. After all, we paid someone else to add the hardware anyhow.

On the recommendation of another Flyertalk forum member, I contacted MEI and was amazed to have talked with the owner in person. He told me they would be happy to fabricate a bag to MY preferences. I took him up on the offer. The result - a bag that is exactly the way I want it (color, hardware, and dimensions) for roughly the same price as the Air Boss. (There was a two-week production time.) 50,000 miles and numerous segments later, the bag is performing like a champ.

Looks like Billings will be in my rear view mirror.
Many of us on this forum share your concern with the obnoxious red patches on the black Red Oxx bags.

Are you able to post photos of your special order MEI bag? Would love to see them.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Digits
Many of us on this forum share your concern with the obnoxious red patches on the black Red Oxx bags.
Not everyone agrees that they are "obnoxious."

If you want something that stands out less and is dark, get the midnight color.

Anyway, the reason for the lack of shoulder straps on the Aviators is likely cost. They are very cheap compared to the rest of the bags.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
Not everyone agrees that they are "obnoxious."

If you want something that stands out less and is dark, get the midnight color.

Anyway, the reason for the lack of shoulder straps on the Aviators is likely cost. They are very cheap compared to the rest of the bags.
I didn't say 'everyone'. I said 'many'. I think everyone would agree that their red logo on their black bag is less-than-subtle.

I actually have the Air Boss in midnight. It's a satisfactory color, although I certainly would have preferred solid black. To me, a solid black bag looks more business-like. The functionality and quality of the bag make up for the less than ideal color.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Digits
I didn't say 'everyone'. I said 'many'. I think everyone would agree that their red logo on their black bag is less-than-subtle.

I actually have the Air Boss in midnight. It's a satisfactory color, although I certainly would have preferred solid black. To me, a solid black bag looks more business-like. The functionality and quality of the bag make up for the less than ideal color.
The technical definition of "many" is >1. It is not exactly subtle, but it isn't as loud as some make it out to be. That is especially true on larger pieces like the Air Boss.

Studies show that navy is considered a more business-like color, especially in a suit, than black. Midnight is navy, so perhaps you are ahead of the curve?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
While the red logo wouldn't have been my choice, I simply coloured it in with a good quality (true black) marker pen. The photo isn't the best but it gives you the idea. I have done this on my black Skytrain and AirBoss.

Last edited by Matrick; Oct 17, 2015 at 10:42 am
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:40 pm

I've simply removed the patch from my Air Boss. The holes where the threads were are visible but fade after a while. For what it's worth I've asked Red Oxx many years ago to modify my Air Boss with a rain cover and they were happy to oblige.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
I probably would have done the same but the current Red Oxx bags have a centering hole beneath the badge, probably just under 2mm diameter. So something would need to cover it.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:39 am

On their website, Red Oxx is now offering companies the ability to put their own corporate logos on Red Oxx bags. Minimum order quantity is 10 bags. However, I didn't see anything about "logo-less" bags.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum, AA AC, HHonors Diamond
I went with the "midnight" color in my Air Boss and it came with the more muted black and midnight logo. Looks great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.