Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick dry socks

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Quick dry socks

When travelling, I like to pack light and just wash my grundies as necessary. This works well for the tees I wear and the ex-officio underwear, but I'm having trouble in the sock department. Since I like to hike, I need a comfortable trail sock, but for the most part, they take at least 2 nights to dry, sometimes more, which is fine if I remember that I'm going to need clean socks in 3 days time, but I'm not always so aware of my laundry needs when on holiday.

Anyone had any success with a quick drying but comfortable hiking socks (think Smartwool)?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I use smartwool and as long as I'm not using the heavier ski sock versions, they dry pretty quickly. I've also used polypro sock liners for warmer temps but if I'm very active they can rub. These days I usually prefer the thinnest smartwool I can find for the warmer temps...
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I use smartwool and as long as I'm not using the heavier ski sock versions, they dry pretty quickly. I've also used polypro sock liners for warmer temps but if I'm very active they can rub. These days I usually prefer the thinnest smartwool I can find for the warmer temps...
I second the smartwool sox.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:45 am
Original Poster

That's the thing though, all the smartwool variants I can find are thick and retain water. Is it possible to get smartwool *thin* socks that are comfortable for longer hikes?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:01 am

They offer a variation called the ultralight http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sma...colorFamily=03

(this happens to be a compression version but they offer "regular" as well)

My husband and I have some similar to these: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sma...colorFamily=01

Lots of options at Sierra Trading Post - I get all ours there, esp when they offer a 40% discount coupon on their facebook page.

Also on STP, Icebreaker offers lite merino wool socks too http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ice...colorFamily=03
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by psychokilla
That's the thing though, all the smartwool variants I can find are thick and retain water. Is it possible to get smartwool *thin* socks that are comfortable for longer hikes?
Smartwool has a complete line of socks now, from heavy hiking socks to the lightest running socks. I've got both heavy weight and light weight hiking socks.

Hint about drying the heavy wool socks: roll them up in a towel after washing to squeeze them as dry as you can, then turn them wrong side out, do it again, and let them dry. If they are slightly damp, don't worry about it - your body heat will finish the job pretty quickly.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
^ to Smartwool socks. I use then when I am on the field with NGO work.

^ to rolling them in towels post-washing to get as much of the water absorbed out of it as you can.

My $0.02
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:06 pm

To expand on the topic, I love smartwool underwear for travel too! I have Ex Officio and Terramar synthetics and those are nice too, but I love the smartwool!!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips folks. Always rolls my socks (and everything else) in a towel and squeeze, but never thought about turning em inside out too, so will try that, but now I know there are lighter alternatives, I know what to look for.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
Originally Posted by psychokilla
When travelling, I like to pack light and just wash my grundies as necessary. This works well for the tees I wear and the ex-officio underwear, but I'm having trouble in the sock department. Since I like to hike, I need a comfortable trail sock, but for the most part, they take at least 2 nights to dry, sometimes more, which is fine if I remember that I'm going to need clean socks in 3 days time, but I'm not always so aware of my laundry needs when on holiday.

Anyone had any success with a quick drying but comfortable hiking socks (think Smartwool)?
"Grundies", I haven't heard that word in about 30 years
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:14 pm

Defeet wooleators - wool, dry in a few hours, and very durable.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Anything with Merino wool usually dries quick. You can also get the "wicking" socks that dry quick, drymax are pretty good.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 8:55 pm
St.

I have some Smartwool socks from Sierra Trading Post (I look for socks labeled closeouts rather than 2nds) and have nothing bad to say about them.

However, I am beginning to buy more Darn Tough. They have a lifetime warranty so while I save my Smartwools for travel I'll wear Darn Tough to work because even if they get worn out, they are still covered by their warranty.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Find a "dollar store" equivalent where you are and buy some throwaway socks. Save the hiking socks for the hikes.

Or stick the socks on the end of the hotel hairdryer for a while.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: US Gold
psychokilla: "smartwool" is a brand, not a unique description. You'll find comparable thinner socks made by other companies such as Keen and Icebreaker. Keen in particular makes several different weights of merino socks, and you could easily solve your problem by wearing their "lite" socks layered two at a time. The "lite" socks dry faster.

Also, you could try wearing lightweight silk socks (which dry rapidly) as liners inside either wool socks (so you'd need to wash the wool ones less frequently) or Polartec socks (which dry very rapidly).

wg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.