Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

If you can take only 1 piece of luggage (carry-on) abroad, what would it be?

If you can take only 1 piece of luggage (carry-on) abroad, what would it be?

Old Sep 18, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by rbwpi
E Bags etech 2.0 Weekender Convertible. Have used it for several 2 week trips to Europe and the Middle East. Reasonably priced, lifetime warranty.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/e...uctid=10211619
This, or the expandable TLS version

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/m...rlid=DETAIL_AI
Old Sep 18, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
This, or the expandable TLS version

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/m...rlid=DETAIL_AI
I did not take the TLS Mother Lode, however I'm sure it will work just as well.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by rbwpi
I did not take the TLS Mother Lode, however I'm sure it will work just as well.
I have both! There is more space and slightly better organisation in the TLS. Both are great bags. I use them as my one bag, if I'm without suit.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 10:02 pm

Just returned from a 10 day Myanmar trip . I used this bag http://gregorypacks.com/en/GM74552.html. I loved it! It was recommended to me by my local EMS store. The pack is extremely comfortable and has a ventilated back suspension. I used it on buses, trains, planes, trekking. It also fit in LCC overhead compartments easily.

Last edited by airsupply; Sep 21, 2015 at 11:01 pm
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Old version of Osprey Porter 46 or Northface farpoint 40. (I'd carry one of those bags you get at races to use as daypack).
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by airsupply
Just returned from a 10 day Myanmar trip . I used this bag http://gregorypacks.com/en/GM74552.html. I loved it! It was recommended to me by my local EMS store. The pack is extremely comfortable and has a ventilated back suspension. I used it on buses, trains, planes, trekking. It also fit in LCC overhead compartments easily.

THIS! Between cobblestone streets, hotels without elevators, odd shaped luggage bins at train stations, you need something softsided and portable. Dragging wheeled luggage for 1 or 2 miles or not being able to store your luggage (not all stations have big lockers) is going to limit your ability to move around in comfort. I've had a Gregory pack for 20 years and it still fits me like a glove and is comfortable for long hikes and has traveled all over the US, Europe, Africa and Asia. I find Osprey packs to to work well too. Get a weekend sized pack, and since you're not toting backpacking gear (tent, stove, sleeping) it will be plenty big enough and you can usually take them on planes without too much hassle.

But, with backpacks, proper fit is key. If you can, get your your local REI or camping supply house.

Good luck!
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I do the 2-3 week Euro trips several times per year, going from place to place via train in the evenings. This is my setup:

http://www.ebags.com/product/briggs-...uctid=10308214

used in conjunction with

http://www.ebags.com/product/flight-...FQ8WHwod7rUAkQ
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
My Pelican 1510.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:45 pm

I always go for quality carry-on luggage even if I have to pay extra for it because budget carry-on luggage can wear out in no time. Try to consider quality especially if you will be traveling often. Brands like Samsonite and Briggs & Riley offer quality products.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Stanley Chan
I always go for quality carry-on luggage even if I have to pay extra for it because budget carry-on luggage can wear out in no time. Try to consider quality especially if you will be traveling often. Brands like Samsonite and Briggs & Riley offer quality products.
What on earth are you doing that wears it out quickly? I've never quite understood (other than the social display of wealth aspect, which I understand completely ) why people would spend so much on carry on bags when they are generally put through very light use.

I had a generic mystery brand carry on that lasted 10+ years & went all over the world for NZ$45. When I was forced to check it once (thanks, AA!) and it was subsequently destroyed (thanks, AA!)
I got this I got this
, which has so far proven excellent. Only thing I would change would be, as several people have mentioned,
adding concealable straps adding concealable straps
so it can double as a backpack.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:52 pm

MEI ?

How about the MEI Executive Overniter? Soft-sided convertible travel bag. Excellent shoulder straps, sternum strap, and waist belt, external compression straps, and some organizational pocketrs inside. Lighter than the Air Boss. Also has a luggage pass-through so you can stack it on a roller. I used to be an ardent fan of Red Oxx, but MEI seems to be a little (make that A LOT) more receptive to the customer's needs. 50,000 miles on the bag thus far with no signs of wear...and it hasn't been coddled. Also made in the good 'ole USA.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
I recently picked up a smaller Aerolite bag, from Amazon UK. It easily takes a pair of trainers, pants, five changes or clothes, MS Surface or iPad, plugs, cables and carry-on liquids. Add a light jacket, with practical pockets (Panasonic GM1 camera + kit lens, a telephoto lens, batteries, phones and drugs) and I'm good to go. In terms of having enough clothes to wear, I'm happy to hand wash yesterday's clothes, as long as I'm in an air conditioned environment (takes a day to dry, and I'm quickly learning which clothes are the least PITA, for ironing, at point of purchase).

The big problem is always going to be those airlines that i) have a strict weight limit ii) insist on weighing your hand luggage. Obviously, a mobile (or home printed) boarding pass should usually avoid that formality.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Gold, IHG Plat
My husband and I have been using Patagonia MLCs (http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/...ters?p=48109-0) as our only carry-ons for over a decade and are still quite happy with them!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 5:00 pm

If I were traveling casual, I'd take my Tom Bihn TriStar. Choice of Absolute strap or backpack carry included.

If a suit or more business attire is needed, I'd take the Air Boss.

Either will be my choice for one bag carry.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I'll pile on the "backpack or convertible MLC" wagon. If you are going to be doing lots of transfers and walking through city streets I don't think you want a wheeled bag. Personally I've got an Air Boss & Sky Train from Red Oxx and a TLS Motherlode from eBags. The build quality of the Motherlode isn't anywhere near the Red Oxx bags, but I like its layout much more. Mine has lasted for several years and a couple dozen trips though, so it isn't like the Motherlode has terrible quality. It is just that nobody else has the build quality of a Red Oxx.

TL;DR, I'd get a TLS Motherlode Weekender convertible in your situation, or an Air Boss if you wanted something that'll last the rest of your life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.