Carry On Advice

Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Carry On Advice

Hi, I'm looking to spend less than $500, but can go up to $1000 if necessary for two pieces of carry on baggage (meeting international carry on requirements).

One piece to hold business attire (not suits - 5 slacks, 5 dress shirts, jeans, blazer, etc.). I'm looking at a few options - Briggs & Riley Baseline U121CXW or Briggs & Riley Baseline U122CX or Tumi Tegra-Lite 28721SUN. I love the look of the Tumi one, but not the price. I'm not a fan of the look of the Briggs & Riley. I prefer soft case over a hard case. Any other options that i'm missing? Of course, if money were no object I would go with this one: Berluti Formula 1000. Maybe this as well (LAT_56° RW_01 - Road Warrior Carry-on Suitecase with Garment Bag) but i'm concerned that it won't hold enough.

Second piece to hold laptop. I currently use a messenger bag which I feel like is nice, but doesn't actually hold enough. I'm thinking of getting some type of backpack or a larger messenger bag?

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 27, 2015 at 10:02 am Reason: Readability
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
What are the max dimensions of the airlines you will fly the most? And their weight limit?

Those could be one of the most important factors. For example, the Tumi you listed in 16" wide which might be 1-2" too much depending on the airline.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Enthilza
What are the max dimensions of the airlines you will fly the most? And their weight limit?

Those could be one of the most important factors. For example, the Tumi you listed in 16" wide which might be 1-2" too much depending on the airline.
Thanks.

I travel on Lufthansa, Austrian, and United mainly.

Lufthansa/Austrian are 22 by 16 by 9 inches I believe, and United is a bit stricter (but less enforced?) at 22 x 14 x 9.

Appreciate any of your advice and recommendations as to which bag I should pursue, and if there's others i'm not looking at that you would recommend.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:38 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by 100% Green
Maybe this as well (LAT_56° RW_01 - Road Warrior Carry-on Suitecase with Garment Bag) but i'm concerned that it won't hold enough.
There is a full review and discussion here:
Old Aug 28, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Originally Posted by 100% Green
Thanks.

I travel on Lufthansa, Austrian, and United mainly.

Lufthansa/Austrian are 22 by 16 by 9 inches I believe, and United is a bit stricter (but less enforced?) at 22 x 14 x 9.

Appreciate any of your advice and recommendations as to which bag I should pursue, and if there's others i'm not looking at that you would recommend.
I don't fly UA but as far as I could tell, by reading some threads on these very forums, it seems that they do enforce their policy so gambling on a 16 inchers might be risky. So I would disregard the Tumi because of that.

I'm myself also currently in the process of upgrading my carry-on so I looked at the B&R and the Lat56 you posted. I love the design/look of the Lat56 but it might be an overkill since, just like you, I don't to intend to put a suit in it. And if you prefer soft case Lat56 might not be the best option since it seems half hard/soft.

In the B&R collection, I would prefer the Explore Domestic Upright which is much lighter and had a bigger capacity for a similar overall size. The rest of their BRX might be worth checking as well over their baseline collection.

I would also recommend looking at some of the Victorinox stuff like the WT 22 Expandable U.S. Carry-On which is also lighter and with more capacity that the B&R you quoted.

Depending on what kind of look you favor, you also might consider the Timbuk2 Copilot Luggage Roller in Small or Medium size or the Eagle Creek Tarmac 22 which do look less professional but are much cheaper and have some interesting characteristics.

Hope that will help you.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I have the Briggs & Riley Baseline U122CX. It fits on all the planes I have been on. If you are looking for a backpack I use the Everki versa backpack. It is TSA friendly as well as holds a ton of stuff. It fits under the seat in front of you. It has a pass through to carry on your upright bag. I travel the world with this, and no problems.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.