Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop briefcase + carry-on combo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Smile Laptop briefcase + carry-on combo

Hi everyone,

I am starting out as a consultant soon and want to invest in a briefcase and carry-on that will last me for years .

I really like the Tumi t-pass expandable brief, but I like the briggs and riley carryon U122CX. I want to get a combo from the same company because I think that will look more stylish, but the Tumi carry-on don't seem as sturdy, and the b&r laptop briefs are ugly.

What are your thoughts? Should I just go with the Tumi brief + b&r carry-on combo?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Tumi is definitely more stylish than most of the B&R options - especially the leather briefs. I was gifted a B&R large expandable brief when I got my MBA. After almost a year of breaking in, it looks gorgeous. The blocky/blobby edges have softened and made the bag look more stately.

I would suggest when you do your bag shopping, handle them in real life and test pack before you commit your cash. Also check out Crumpler, they have some badass polycarb/abs briefs which look great too.

I also think your appraisal of tumi vs BR is astute. Tumi looks great but BR is usually more thoughtfully laid out.

Much luck!
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:39 am

You don't mention if you need a wheeled bag or not, but I'd recommend carry on bags without wheels if you can manage it. Packing lightly and efficiently is a skill that will make your consulting career so more pleasant... take if from someone who has been traveling as a management consultant for nearly 30 years!

I started out my consulting career with Tumi luggage and it worked well for me for many, many years. In the olden days Tumi was made in the US and of better quality than it is today, although their bags are still pretty decent. I have read, however, that should you need to utilize their warranty service, it's a decidedly mixed bag with experiences ranging from excellent to awful.

I use, and would recommend, Tom Bihn bags. They are all made in their Seattle factory and combine top notch construction with stylish offerings and excellent ergonomics. I use the Tom Bihn Tri-Star which is excellent for travel of up to a week carrying two suits if needed. I use the Pilot bag as a briefcase, but there is a wide range of offerings to suit your carry needs and style sensibility.

Good luck with your consulting gig!
Old Aug 23, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
I have a 2 year old B&R Transcend 19" carry on and a Tumi T-tech T-pass expandable laptop brief that I use together for the exact same reason as you- the Tumi laptop bag is great, the B&R wheeled is too.

One word of caution- I find B&R rollers have extra plastic on the handles that makes it difficult to slide some Tumi bags over them. I tried out a Tumi Lakehurst tote the other day, for example, and its slip through pocket wasn't wide enough to allow it to slip over the B&R handle. My tumi briefcase JUST slides over, its a real pain, and I know its going to need to be replaced within a couple of years- but it was on sale and its a great bag so I live with it.

Just make sure you test out the briefcase before you buy it to make sure you can slide it over the roller's handle. It'll save you some headaches!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:13 pm

T-pass bags, in my opinion, take up too much room. Unless you live in an area or travel to areas where PreCheck isn't available, I'd say invest in PreCheck and get a regular bag with no Tpass feature.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPACjv
Tumi is definitely more stylish than most of the B&R options - especially the leather briefs. I was gifted a B&R large expandable brief when I got my MBA. After almost a year of breaking in, it looks gorgeous. The blocky/blobby edges have softened and made the bag look more stately.

I would suggest when you do your bag shopping, handle them in real life and test pack before you commit your cash. Also check out Crumpler, they have some badass polycarb/abs briefs which look great too.

I also think your appraisal of tumi vs BR is astute. Tumi looks great but BR is usually more thoughtfully laid out.

Much luck!
Thanks for your answer!

Could you share the exact name of the B&R brief model that you have? If you had to choose all over again (and you didn't receive a gift), would you go with B&R or Tumi (brief)?

I will check out Crumpler!

Originally Posted by nave888
I have a 2 year old B&R Transcend 19" carry on and a Tumi T-tech T-pass expandable laptop brief that I use together for the exact same reason as you- the Tumi laptop bag is great, the B&R wheeled is too.

One word of caution- I find B&R rollers have extra plastic on the handles that makes it difficult to slide some Tumi bags over them. I tried out a Tumi Lakehurst tote the other day, for example, and its slip through pocket wasn't wide enough to allow it to slip over the B&R handle. My tumi briefcase JUST slides over, its a real pain, and I know its going to need to be replaced within a couple of years- but it was on sale and its a great bag so I live with it.

Just make sure you test out the briefcase before you buy it to make sure you can slide it over the roller's handle. It'll save you some headaches!
Wow this is something that I hadn't considered. I guess another reason to go with a carry-on + brief from the same company?? Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by Mellonc
T-pass bags, in my opinion, take up too much room. Unless you live in an area or travel to areas where PreCheck isn't available, I'd say invest in PreCheck and get a regular bag with no Tpass feature.
Could you recommend a specific model? The other ones seem like either they are much older versions or have different sizing/features.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 25, 2015 at 11:16 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Aug 26, 2015, 4:17 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
I would totally go B&R! I have the KB307x. It looks better the more I travel with it. Also the privacy panels in the packing section mean that I can grab stuff from the case while it's packed without looking unprofessional.

The internal and external layout makes keeping track of chords, clicker, and other odds and ends simple and easy. Having the right adapter within easy reach has saved a few presentations this year.

Let me know if there are any specific questions I can answer for you.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by epiphany153

Could you recommend a specific model? The other ones seem like either they are much older versions or have different sizing/features.
Yes. check out Tumi 26141.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:23 am
formerly known as ravishah

I would not spend too much until you work out what works for you, which will come with a bit of time. Like some of the people above I have been travelling for well over 10 years but it took me a good year to work out how I can make things work for me.

For example I like to have a laptop bag with two zips one where I can stick in my laptop and notepad and another for all my other crap e.g. mouse, charging cables and then a front zipper for some small stuff such as gum, coins, spare contact lenses.

I also much prefer a soft feel, fabric bag over leather. Also given the amount of flights and crap trains I get I like a bag that can take some rough and tumble and I don't have to worry about getting it dirty etc.

I like a wheelie bag for my weeks clothes rather than a holdall, as I tend to thing they can keep shirts better based on the way I pack with gym clothes at the bottom etc.

So same as my first line take your time and maybe run with a cheapo bag for a bit before you spend a bunch on travel items.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: Amazon, viglink
Laptop Briefcase + Carry- on Combo

Congratulations on your new consulting gig!

I have heard great things about the Tumi T-pass expandable brief and think that it is a good choice if your work requires a lot of travel. The T-pass was designed specifically for business travelers and can carry a large number of items without showing signs of wear.

Have you considered the Tumi Alpha 2 Continental Expandable Carry-on? I have seen great reviews of this Tumi case, and I think that it should match nicely with the brief that you like. According to reviews of this product, its well built and fits nicely into an air plane's overhead compartment.

The only complaints that I have heard about, are Tumi's warranty and customer service as a whole ( Some people have great experiences and others sub par ). Though those comments are few and far between overall I have had great experiences with Tumi.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Like OTR99 I have several Tom Bihn bags. All the laptop bags are able to be TSA friendly. They are very well made bags. As a consultant I travel Internationally quite a bit. My wife for Christmas one year got me an Everki backpack as I wanted a TSA friendly bag. They have several laptop bags most TSA friendly for a lower cost them Tom Bihn. I carry a lot of electronics with me so a pilot or cadet would not work for me. If you go with wheels look at the B&R 22" baseline upright. fits in the overhead on all planes except RJ. A lot of consultants use this bag. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.