Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

4 Wheeled Luggage worth the extra weight over 2 wheels?

Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking to purchase a Tumi Alpha 2. Although the Rimowas look nice too.

On the Tumi, the 4 wheeled model weighs 10.7 lbs and has 30 capacity. The 2 wheeled model weighs 9 lbs and has 33 capacity.

Is having 4 wheels worth the extra weight and capacity reduction? I've never used a 4 wheeled luggage but I enjoy the 2 wheeled ones I've used.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Go for a test drive! In all seriousness, in order to really know if the loss of volume and added weight are good trade offs, test driving and test packing are essential. So go ahead and order 2 test cases from a site like zappos, that has a generous return policy and do some hands on testing.

And of course, please post your findings.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, TK Black, AA dirt
4 wheels are great, except for carpeted surfaces (i.e. most airports in the US), where you will basically carry it like a 2 wheel, as pushing it becomes nearly impossible.

I've done a lot of travel with spinners (4, 8 whatever wheels people like to call them), and while I swore I will never go back to 2 wheels, my last 2 bags (including the current) are 2 wheeled, and I've realized I've missed it.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I must say, I will never go back to 2 wheel bags. It is simply too convenient to have all the weight rest on the bag\wheels as you are rolling it.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
It's definitely a personal decision. For me, I prefer 2 wheels.

However, 4 wheels can come in handy. If you are in the habit of carrying a smaller bag on top of your suitcase, a 4-wheeler definitely reduces the strain associated with dragging a 2 wheeler. Also, spinners can be easier to roll down the aisle of a plane. For smooth surfaces, spinners are pretty nice.

2 wheel bags tend to have an advantage when the rolling surface isn't smooth (sidewalks, curbs, etc.). If you know you'll be dragging it around Manhattan, 2 wheels is probably the way to go. If you'll be using it mostly in an airport and hotel, with minimal walking time, then spinners are fine.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
It's definitely a personal decision. For me, I prefer 2 wheels.

However, 4 wheels can come in handy. If you are in the habit of carrying a smaller bag on top of your suitcase, a 4-wheeler definitely reduces the strain associated with dragging a 2 wheeler. Also, spinners can be easier to roll down the aisle of a plane. For smooth surfaces, spinners are pretty nice.

2 wheel bags tend to have an advantage when the rolling surface isn't smooth (sidewalks, curbs, etc.). If you know you'll be dragging it around Manhattan, 2 wheels is probably the way to go. If you'll be using it mostly in an airport and hotel, with minimal walking time, then spinners are fine.
+1.

4 wheels simply don't do it for me. It just doesn't roll very well. I tried all kinds of luggage systems, and during a lapse in judgement, tried to roll that 4 wheel contraption through airports and hotels (my typical journey).

out of the gate onto baggage claim area - no issues. rolled nicely.
out into the taxi stand - had to go over a small curb. it almost tipped over with my laptop bag on top. then, the road became irregular surface, I had to hold the handle really hard not to have it tip over. but other people were passing me. didn't like that. I,then, tilted it and dragged it with two wheels. at this point, i'm now, shoulder carrying my briefcase - I don't like that. to top it off, the center of gravity is higher with 4 wheelers. as such, there is more weight on my arm.
at the hotel lobby - perfect smooth rolling - i'm just making sure it doesn't roll away form me
at the floor where my room is - the heavy carpeting is making rolling this thing less happy to move on 4 wheels. Once again, I am dragging this thing on 2 wheels with my briefcase on my shoulder.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 4:43 pm

I would generally avoid 4-wheelers unless it is the larger double wheels that you see on Rimowas and I think also some Xenon models.

But those many suitcases with the thin tiny single 4-wheels, that never works out. Doesnt roll great and toples more easily. If that's the option then a good two-wheeler is better.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

All personal preference. Myself, I can't stand the spinner bags.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: QF CL
Test them out for yourself as suggested. Like everything in this world, neither is perfect. For me 4 wheels offers the most flexibility - I have Rimowa and prefer to use 4 wheels whenever possible to take the weight off my arm and shoulder, but I find it very convenient to switch into "drag" mode like a 2 wheeler when the ground surface is uneven. The main disadvantage of a spinner IMO is its tendency to roll away on the slightest slope.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:22 am

I've got a travel-pro 22-inch bag that I've had as a hand carry AND as a check in on my travels.

Usually when I goto to car shows for photography, and for say 2 nighter trips, the bag I have, similar to this -- http://www.ebags.com/product/travelp...laboard/209271 -- has held up and is say on 7 years now.

I'd say 2x it's been checked in and many many times it's been a hand cary/weekend trip bag.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Four wheels is definitely worth it to me.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Im a 2 wheeler. The loss of space isnt something I am willing to give up. Seems way more durable too if checked. And then I like my bag standing still when I let go of it.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I endured several years of my mother telling mem4-wheels was much better than the 2-wheels I was dragging around (both carry on and checked). I resisted. Then I needed new luggage, and yes, for me 4 wheels are much better. I don't strain myself pulling them when they're heavy, and walking posture with them is just less stressful on my body. You can't 4-wheel them up and down steps and rough terrain, but then you just revert to pulling them like a 2-wheeler. No regrets about going 4 wheels here, a and with a slight weight and capacity penalty (although mine are lighter than the 2-wheelers they replaced).
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

I have more than 40 suitcases in various stages of life - some of which just need to be donated. I can tell you that the answers above all point you in the right direction.

Not all spinners are created equal. A cheap spinner that does not roll freely when loaded is worthless. When you test drive them fill the bag with heavy stuff - and try ot on multiplw surfaces. Many bags roll great when empty on a hard store floor. A full bag impacts the wheels - since you aren't likely to travel with an empty case - fill it and make sure it weighs as much as it would when you travel. My experience has been that more expensive better quality cases do well with full loads while cheaper ones fail. I use Travelpro as a minimum and B&R on the higher end.

Hard surfaces tend to be great with spinners whereas carpet is not. Another factor is your height. Pushing a spinner on carpet gets easier as you get taller. I can make a spinner work on carpet but my wife cannot.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:02 am

does this also have to with whether you are male or a female traveler? I see female travelers using more spinners.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.