Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IKEA FRAKTA zipper bag as overflow bag?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:38 am
Original Poster

IKEA FRAKTA zipper bag as overflow bag?

Has anyone tried checking these in? I'm wondering how well they'll hold up or if you need to reinforce the zipper with gaffers tape or something...

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90149148/

Old Jul 27, 2015, 11:09 am

Use them all the time to haul parts and cabling to IT installations. Never had a problem with fabric or zippers.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
At those prices, OP can "doubled" them up - it's rated for up to 55 lbs. - that's plenty of room to pack, depending on what you plan to transport in them. Cheaper than getting a roll of duck or package tape to reinforce them.

Reminds me of those laminated stripe of blue, red & white plastic/canvas tote/shopping once popular with Chinese travelers all over - of course, most of them are now toting designers rollers & spinners down the jetbridge.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: WS Platinum 18K so far this year
With the wear and tear that my nice nylon luggage has been taking maybe I'll check it in one of these from now on... Might look a little trashy at the luggage carousel but I can shed the ikea and have my nice bag back!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:26 am

Those work fine but the looks are a bit garish. Its a walking Ikea logo.

Another solution is Bach carrier bags, for example the Cargo Bag Lite:
http://www.camp4.de/bach/cargo-bag-lite.html

If I recall correctly in the home storage solutions section of Ikea they also sell carrier bags mage fom similar nylon fabric to what youbposted but in more muted colours eg brown & white.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:02 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Reminds me of those laminated stripe of blue, red & white plastic/canvas tote/shopping once popular with Chinese travelers all over - of course, most of them are now toting designers rollers & spinners down the jetbridge.
They've traded up to Rimowa if my recent travels around Europe are anything to go by.

But I'm a big fan of these sorts of overflow bags, used one of the aforementioned striped shopping bags on trips previously and always gave me a laugh to see it come out with a multitude of priority tags affixed.

Will consider one of these FRAKTA bags as overflow storage for winter boots/gear later this year.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Another

Here is a great, inexpensive overflow bag solution. The nylon is well-reinforced. When I use it, I tend to use if for dirty clothes. Never had a problem.

There are different sizes and shapes and colors (I have red ones):
Amazon Amazon
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
At those prices, OP can "doubled" them up
That is a really good idea. I was just thinking about a overflow bag for an upcoming trip.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Madone59
That is a really good idea. I was just thinking about a overflow bag for an upcoming trip.
Gotta be kidding - you think the Ikea store not far from PVG might have them too ?? I cannot - imagine - someone walking down the concourse with this on their back (it came with shoulder straps too) and/or convert it into a roller with the cart.

Just checked our local store out on the "island" and plenty in stock - too bad, they aren't offering "Ikea Family" discount pricing. They are also selling these @ same price, cabin-friendly with smaller sizing @ 22 lbs. rated. Better looking than those stripe ones.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:39 pm

This is brilliant. I'm seriously considering getting one of these to be my overflow bag. I've been using a Sierra Designs packable bag, but it's pretty lightweight, and I'm always a bit worried that it will rip and strew its contents everywhere. The Frakta seems like it would be a lot more durable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.