Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Frugal Wife. 3 Days, 2 Suits: best Carry-on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Question Frugal Wife. 3 Days, 2 Suits: best Carry-on?

Hello All,

Thanks a bunch for your help! It seems that this topic has been touched on in many threads, but I can't seem to find one definitive discussion. As I mention below. I'm considering spending much more on a carry-on than my wife ever would, so I want to make sure I make the right call.

Is there an ideal carry-on for three days of business travel with 2 suits?

I travel a couple of times per month for three days at a time. I would like to travel with:
  • Hanging clothes: two suits (or a suit, sport coat, and two additional pairs of pants), three dress shirts. Ties.
  • Casual clothes: another pair of shoes, pants, shirt. (All could be folded.)
  • Fitness clothes: Shorts, tshirt, running shoes.
  • Other: t-shirts, socks, underwear, etc.

I've been thinking about the Briggs & Riley Domestic Carry-on Upright Garment Bag. If this bag will hold all of the hanging clothes I need to take with me, it seems like it could be an ideal solution. Anyone use this bag? Any thoughts?
(This bag is for me, but my wife and I run all "larger" purchases by each other. She would never spend that much for a bag, and generally doesn't think I should either. She's willing to go along with this purchase, but if I buy it and it turns out not to work well, I'll be digging out of that hole for a while.)

If this bag will not work, I'm thinking that just upgrading to a better "standard" carry-on spinner, with as much careful packing of my hanging clothes, is the way to go. If that's what you think, I'd appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help!
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I have this bag, and yes you can what you want and more. It fits in all the OHB planes I have been on. This is the bag I travel with if I need to carry a suit.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
The problem I've found with these "domestic" carry-ons is that they are really too big for such a short trip. I had so much empty space that I got myself a smaller international carry-on. The Victorinox model I bought is no longer in production, but I've found it to be the perfect size for 3-4 day business trips.

How about the B&R international spinners? Personally not a fan of widebody suitcases, but you might like them ok.

One thing to try might be to buy locally domestic and international sized suitcases and see which works best for you, then return the one you don't want (or return both and buy cheaper online).
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:51 pm

I'm with Powerlifter on this. Spinner reduce the room inside of the case. Briggs U122CX is also good option
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
If you need two suits, carry on, great quality, great price, you really need to consider the Gate8. There are lots of reviews on this board.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Gate8 was going to be my recomendation as well. Another option would be a basic tri-fold garment back nested on top of a rolling tote... you might need to fold the dress pants and place them in the tote, leaving just the coats/shirts hanging, but I wouldn't consider this a deal breaker. Since you're willing to spend a bit, a Briggs U116 + Briggs Compact Garment Bag would be a nice combo, but there are much more economical solutions out there (Eagle Creek ES2 Rolling Tote + Mercury Executive Tri-Fold Garment Bag, for example).
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by powerlifter
I have this bag, and yes you can what you want and more. It fits in all the OHB planes I have been on. This is the bag I travel with if I need to carry a suit.
Thanks powerlifter! Do you feel that it does a reasonable job of keeping the clothes (relatively) wrinkle-free? I'm worried that if I pack in two coats and three pants, I'll "get them there" but not necessarily in the condition I would like.

Do you think this is preferable to a standard carry-on? I'm fairly new to business travel. If the B&R is really the best option, I don't mind spending the money. If it is not the clear favorite, I feel like there are better deals to be had on other designs/styles.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
Gate8 was going to be my recomendation as well. Another option would be a basic tri-fold garment back nested on top of a rolling tote... you might need to fold the dress pants and place them in the tote, leaving just the coats/shirts hanging, but I wouldn't consider this a deal breaker. Since you're willing to spend a bit, a Briggs U116 + Briggs Compact Garment Bag would be a nice combo, but there are much more economical solutions out there (Eagle Creek ES2 Rolling Tote + Mercury Executive Tri-Fold Garment Bag, for example).
...I'm pushing my budget to consider the 1 B&R, so those two probably won't work for me.

Originally Posted by Boogie711
If you need two suits, carry on, great quality, great price, you really need to consider the Gate8. There are lots of reviews on this board.
Thanks for both of the replies!

The Gate8 looks good, but I think I'd probably end up going with the traditional carry-on before I go with a full-on garment bag. That seems a bit more practical to me. Getting things in and out of a garment bag in a pinch also seems like it would be a bit unwieldy.

...I recently changed out of my suit in an Austin airport bathroom into much more comfortable travel clothes. I hadn't anticipated doing this, and ended up basically completely unpacking and re-packing my bag in a bathroom stall.
That experience was one of the things that led me to consider the B&&R Upright Garment. It seems like I could more easily stow my suit coat/pants in the suiter portion, and grab a change of clothes that I'd left atop the "regular" suitcase part.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:15 pm

I'm very happy with my recent purchase of the Victorinox WT20

http://www.victorinox.com/global/en/...prod-details-2

The suiter can happily take 2 suits and it's not too big (can expand if you want though). Comes in a bit cheaper than the Briggs and Riley too.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Greenback78
I'm very happy with my recent purchase of the Victorinox WT20

http://www.victorinox.com/global/en/...prod-details-2

The suiter can happily take 2 suits and it's not too big (can expand if you want though). Comes in a bit cheaper than the Briggs and Riley too.
Thanks for the suggestion! That does look good, and I'd definitely be happy with a lower cost. If you don't mind, I have a few questions...
  • Do you find that the suits come out relatively wrinkle-free from the suiter? (Obviously they'll have some wrinkles, but I wonder how well the suits travel in it.)
  • I just read a few reviews online and there were a number of concerns about attaching a laptop bag. Have you had any experience/issues with this?
  • The other question involved the pole for the handle running down the center of the case making it difficult to lay things flat and pack more wrinkle-free. Any thoughts there?

Thanks a bunch for your (& everyone else's) help. I really appreciate it!
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

Travelpro Crew 10 series carry-on rolling garment bag. I think I got it for less than $200. The B&R is also awesome - but the TP is half the price and does the trick.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
Travelpro Crew 10 series carry-on rolling garment bag. I think I got it for less than $200. The B&R is also awesome - but the TP is half the price and does the trick.
Thanks for the suggestion!

I haven't given much thought to the pure garment bags, looking for room for 2 pair of shoes (one dress, one fitness) and other clothes. Do you think this would still work well? (I'm really wondering if I'd gain that much jamming all of my stuff into a garment bag - probably coming out wrinkled, than I would get with careful folding in a traditional carry-on without a suiter.)

---
On a separate note, can anyone tell me why some of my replies show up automatically, and others require moderator approval? My initial pose was delayed so long that I didn't realize that was up until today. My first two responses today popped right up, but I'm still waiting on an earlier reply that I submitted 5+ hours ago?!?
---
Thanks again for all of the helpful comments and suggestions!
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by OnThePlaneAgain
Thanks powerlifter! Do you feel that it does a reasonable job of keeping the clothes (relatively) wrinkle-free? I'm worried that if I pack in two coats and three pants, I'll "get them there" but not necessarily in the condition I would like.

Do you think this is preferable to a standard carry-on? I'm fairly new to business travel. If the B&R is really the best option, I don't mind spending the money. If it is not the clear favorite, I feel like there are better deals to be had on other designs/styles.
Let me say that I have traveled quite a lot in the last 15 years. I had a travel pro for a lot of those years, but the bag fell apart after a couple of years. You should arrive (relatively) wrinkle-free. You should have no problem carrying your two coats, and two pants in the suiter section. This bag is what most consultants have if they are doing the weekly grind. I have taken this bag on several international trips, and it is by far the best bag I had for carrying suits. Let me say that the bags that some of the posters have mentioned are great bags, They work for that person. I just find that the B&R has what I need plus a great warranty.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by powerlifter
Let me say that I have traveled quite a lot in the last 15 years. I had a travel pro for a lot of those years, but the bag fell apart after a couple of years. You should arrive (relatively) wrinkle-free. You should have no problem carrying your two coats, and two pants in the suiter section. This bag is what most consultants have if they are doing the weekly grind. I have taken this bag on several international trips, and it is by far the best bag I had for carrying suits. Let me say that the bags that some of the posters have mentioned are great bags, They work for that person. I just find that the B&R has what I need plus a great warranty.
Thanks again, powerlifter! That is very helpful info, and will probably push me to go with the B&R urpight garment.

------
P.S. The replies I submitted last night (17+ hours ago) have still not posted. I'm not sure what the problem is with my account, but I have been paying attention and do really appreciate all of the helpful info and suggestions!
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Question Where to buy?

I have a few weeks until I travel again (and have an old, still-functional, carry-on already) so I am in no hurry to buy.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best place/website to use? I tried ebags, but Briggs & Riley is excluded from either of the offers currently available (10% or 15% off.)

Any suggestions on the best way to save some cash on the B&R (or any other) bag, would be much-appreciated.

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.