Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Best carry on with suiter - help me choose :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Afternoon all

I have a new job that involves a lot more European travel that I normally do. Longer trips will tend to be with the legacy carriers - 90% of the time with BA but occasionally with Lufthansa or KLM.

I need to carry an extra suit with me (44" jacket). My shirts usually go in an Eagle Creek shirt folder. So I'm looking for a good quality carryon that includes a suiter with a good capacity for other items but that fits most airlines.

My choices so far are:

Briggs & Riley domestic baseline carry on 2 wheeler (great reviews, lifetime guarantee but may be a bit tall for some alrlines and expensive)

Victorinox Werks Traveller 5.0 20 (may fit more airlines, good brand but heard some people have had issues over their warranty. New model so not many reviews.)

Any opinions on these two from regular European flyers? Or any other suggestions? Max budget £400 so Tumi is out.

I know I could fold the jacket but that's a bit of a faff and I tend to find that garment carriers produce a better result at the other end.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:06 pm

I just invested in the International Carry On B&R, not sure how different it is to the domestic. I've only just used the suiter for the first time but I had very good results. The size was a bit close for the overhead bins but was fine.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks - who did you fly with?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:09 pm

BA, think it was a A320 or A319 (is that a thing?)
Old Jul 7, 2015, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. A319 is just a shorter A320. I think BA have a few in their fleet.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Just as a quick update, I bought the Victorinox Werks WT 5.0 traveler 20. Based on initial impressions and having not yet used it in outside these four walls:

Pros:
- Good build quality.
- Nice long handle for those of us blessed with height.
- Clever design. The flat panel inside the bag is a nifty solution to internal rails for the handle.
- Suiter is wide enough for my broad shoulders and is removable.
- Guarantee seems good for the first 5 years.

Cons:
- Advertised dimensions do not include wheels. It irritates me immensely that companies continue to do this when more and more airports have the sizers at the gate. In this case though, I shouldn't fall foul of anyone apart from low cost carriers.
- Front pocket is definitely big enough for a laptop but there is no padded protection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.