Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me pick out a new bag please

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:13 am
Original Poster

I started traveling for work 1 year ago. I flew about 70 segments now after doing this for a year, all domestic or Canada. After 1 year the bag I have been using a American Explorer looks in dire need of replacement(I think I got it for free years ago) I measure it at 14" x 23" x 9". The size has been more than enough for me.

I check my bag about 90% of the time. I have free bags with AA and Delta. I fly mostly AA and Southwest. I prefer checking my bag when I can and only carry on when needed.

So if I want a bag that can be checked and not damaged terribly, or should I say the damage won't bother me.

Price under say $400, wouldn't mind buying through AA shopping for some miles.

I would like to stay at my current size or slightly smaller.

It is hard to find recommendations on here since most carry on sized bags people don't seem to check which I much prefer to do.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Have you looked at eBags? They have their own brand of luggage, and from what I understand, it's rather good. I once ordered the TLS Mother Lode Junior (which is a backpack cum suitcase) and found the quality to be good. I returned it, but only because once it reached me, I found that it was too large for what I wanted. If you want wheels, what about something like this?
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/t...uctid=10186881

If you're interested, and ready to make a decision, they are offering $25 off a $100 purchase until this evening, I think.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Barks
Have you looked at eBags? They have their own brand of luggage, and from what I understand, it's rather good. I once ordered the TLS Mother Lode Junior (which is a backpack cum suitcase) and found the quality to be good. I returned it, but only because once it reached me, I found that it was too large for what I wanted. If you want wheels, what about something like this?
http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/t...uctid=10186881

If you're interested, and ready to make a decision, they are offering $25 off a $100 purchase until this evening, I think.
Thanks, I ordered one and got 7/miles per dollar through AAdvantage. I like I could get odd colors which will make it easier to find in baggage claim. Ordered some packing cubes too. Always wanted to try some. I like that they have free returns.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Good call ordering from eBags since a decent warranty comes in handy for checked bags.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by mjb24
Thanks, I ordered one and got 7/miles per dollar through AAdvantage. I like I could get odd colors which will make it easier to find in baggage claim. Ordered some packing cubes too. Always wanted to try some. I like that they have free returns.
I should be their packing cubes poster child. I have tried the slouchy EC (can't remember the line) and some others, and I really prefer the eBags. My husband and I have color-coded sets (his a staid charcoal and mine a fun leopard) and I have decided that I cannot live without them.

I hope you've signed up for emails from eBags. They can be somewhat irritating with their frequency, but I've used some of them for some great discounts.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Barks
I hope you've signed up for emails from eBags. They can be somewhat irritating with their frequency, but I've used some of them for some great discounts.
I always make my eBags purchases through Ebates. The last bag I bought from them had a 10% rebate and the bag was around $150ish, so the extra 10% on top of the Friends and Family discount that was offered at the time made it a pretty good deal. ^
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:11 pm

Travelpro, but not their lightweight collections.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:55 pm

American express has been running their AMEX sync offers for ebags seems like every 3- 4 months so watch out for those. Also there is currently Samsonite statement credit offer for $ 30 if you spend $ 150.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT

eBags YES. I try to wait for the 15 AA miles per $ via AA eshopping. I have to have one checked bag. For several years that has been the eBags Motherlode Junior. That and many packing cubes by eBags which I prefer to the other brands as they are lighter in weight and machine was very well. Keep on lookout for special limited edition for eBags brand stuff.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:30 am
Original Poster

I just got back last night on my first trip with the new eBags TLS 22". This was only a 3 day trip vs. My usual 5 day ones. I checked it both ways, got the green one by the way. Still looks new.

I really liked the bag and also the packing cubes. I bought a 3 pack of medium but want some more sizes now as well.

And I did sign up for the emails and may buy some more soon.

Thanks everyone for the help
Old Jul 10, 2015, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by mjb24
I just got back last night on my first trip with the new eBags TLS 22". This was only a 3 day trip vs. My usual 5 day ones. I checked it both ways, got the green one by the way. Still looks new.

I really liked the bag and also the packing cubes. I bought a 3 pack of medium but want some more sizes now as well.

And I did sign up for the emails and may buy some more soon.

Thanks everyone for the help
You are most welcome. I'm glad it performed as you'd hoped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.