Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Tumi Alpha 2 already on sale

Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 1 MM/ LTG, CX GO, US CP, SPG Platinum Ambassador, National EE

Does anyone else find it odd that Tumi is already deeply-discounting many of the staple items of the Alpha 2 line? It seems that it has not been out that long...

I am especially surprised to see this on sale: http://www.tumi.com/p/frequent-trave...D2?subcat=true

Has the Alpha 2 line really done this poorly? What will replace it?
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That particular model is a piece of crap - you can't hang bags on it without it tipping over, and the wheels are really lousy. Not surprised it is on sale.

As for the other items, I think it is just a combination of business travel season about to start again when the summer is over, and Tumi just moving towards a different general style with more colors. The Alpha line is now just a small portion of what they make...
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:01 am

the alpha 2 line of rolling bags became too light. the bottom of the bag actually bows (imagine an obese man's belly hanging over the belt) when the bag is heavy. It's OK but it'll tip over over easily and makes the bag too unstable.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
that particular model is a 24" carry on
taboo in today's carry on regulations
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I can see why it tips over. Design flaw in that the feet on the front of the bag are actually on the lid of the suitcase. With just fabric there to support it, not surprised that it leans and tips over easily.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
That particular model is a piece of crap - you can't hang bags on it without it tipping over, and the wheels are really lousy. Not surprised it is on sale.

As for the other items, I think it is just a combination of business travel season about to start again when the summer is over, and Tumi just moving towards a different general style with more colors. The Alpha line is now just a small portion of what they make...
I thought the Alpha 1 was the one that would tip over really easily and the Alpha 2 fixed that?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:54 am

as you can read my post above, Alpha has a diffeernt kind of tipping over issue....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.