Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

synethic fabric travel dress shirts (quick-dry, stay wrinkle/crease free)

Old Jun 27, 2015, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

When not traveling I wear Nordstrom Smartcare shirts which come out of the dryer mostly wrinkle free.
They look great for business formal and business casual occasions.
When I travel these shirts always develop wrinkles and creases, no matter how I fold them, even using an Eagle Creek Pack-It folder.
I hate ironing and often don't have time, especially on business trips, and I don't want to always rely on hotel dry cleaning and pressing.
Exofficio makes polyester button down shirts (Tripr line).
They never crease or wrinkle, you can just throw them in a suitcase, even better you can wash them in the hotel sink and they will dry overnight.
However, they look too casual on many occasions.
Can anyone recommend a line of synthetic fabric (DRESS) shirts that look good, don't wrinkle or crease, and will dry fast (overnight) after washing in a hotel sink?
Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold
That's a tough one and I don't have a good answer. I use Banana Republic wrinkle free shirts. They are about the only shirt that fits me, so I kind of feel stuck with them. Off topic...it really makes me made that their sleeves around the wrist wear out after about a year and develop holes! They are okay shirts but I have feeling they are similar (wrinkle wise) as your Nordstroms. I'm not super picky about the wrinkle look and I can get them to pass with steam from the shower, while wearing them with a suit.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, past Sky Team Platinum
Please allow me to share my view and experience.

I cannot comment on business shirts with synthetic materials (I simply don't own any), even though I am looking at polo shirts out of similar material for trips in hot, humid climates right now - but that is a different story.

I would recommend to buy really very good wrinkle-free cotton shirts. While they lose their wrinkle-free characteristics after many washes (and maybe faster if they are ironed too hot), they stay good for a good amount of time. Yes, they show some wrinkles and creases when being taken out of a packing folder, but put them on a hanger for a few hours, or expose them to the steam when you take your hot hotel room shower - and, voila, the wrinkles are gone very quickly. Done that many times on many trips, and it works. Again, old, very often washed "wrinkle-free" shirts may no longer be suitable.

I don't think the looks of shirts with synthetic materials can match that of good cotton shirts, and if looks and professional appearance is important, go for regular cotton wrinkle-free, and do the above.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:51 pm

I bought a brooks brothers non-iron shirt in HK and I am pretty satisfied with that
Fabrics feel great and soft, not synthetic-ish at all
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:57 am

Apparently, these guys have some high quality synthetic dress shirts:

http://www.mizzenandmain.com

I haven't tried them yet, but I've heard good things
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
This one comes out of the dryer wrinkle free and looks good under a jacket:

http://www.columbia.com/mens-pfg-tam...7#pg=2&start=5
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:25 am

Rohan shirts are worth a look - http://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-a...ocode=03736337 - the label is a bit obtrusive but easily cut off.

I've had mixed success with how wrinkle free their shirts are but all fare better than a standard dress shirt. I'd certainly recommend them for a lightweight and quick drying shirt.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 3:36 pm

That rohan shirt looks wrinkled in their online picture. Not very reassuring.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:58 pm

buy brooks brother luxury line wrinkle free shirts. I have some of these shirts going back over 100 washings. The shirt collars still comes out of the dryer completely straight. Worth the money in my opinion.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Mellonc
buy brooks brother luxury line wrinkle free shirts. I have some of these shirts going back over 100 washings. The shirt collars still comes out of the dryer completely straight. Worth the money in my opinion.
I think this is exactly the one I purchased! ))
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Silver
How often do you have to wash the shirts while traveling? If you don't have to do that, I've generally not had to iron the Nordstrom Smartcare shirts if I do the following:
1. Make sure they are ironed before packing.
2. Bundle wrap the shirts
3. Hang all of the shirts for that stop as soon as I get to the hotel
4. Make sure they are in the bathroom when I shower in the morning

It doesn't have a 100% success rate, but it works more than 2/3rds of the time for me and if I do need to do a touch up with the iron it goes very fast.

I've never tried to sink wash a Smartcare shirt. Are they not drying overnight?
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by dalylink
That rohan shirt looks wrinkled in their online picture. Not very reassuring.
They're fine for business casual, but a properly ironed cotton shirt will look better if the quality is good.

It's horses for courses. In addition to needing less ironing the rohan shirts are lighter, faster drying, pack into less volume and are better at moisture wicking. All things I've found useful over the years. The security features don't interest me as much.

Admittedly for business travel I'll take cotton shirts more often than not, but it's nice to have both options
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I do just fine with Jos A Bank Traveler shirts right out of the Pack-It folder and just a bit of spray-and-tug with Downy Wrinkle Release to get rid of the folding creases. I usually do mini-bundles of each day's dress shirt along with its under-shirt which helps minimize wrinkles without having to bundle for a whole trip which is inconvenient with multiple stops. I've done DIY Wrinkle Release of 1/2 water and 1/2 fabric softener, but it's just a bit less effective and must be shaken well before use.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by piclistguy
Can anyone recommend a line of synthetic fabric (DRESS) shirts that look good
No. No one can. Such things do not exist.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm
+1 for Brooks brothers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.