Search

21" *roller* -- too much to ask?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:16 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
21" *roller* -- too much to ask?

Why is it that you can get a 21" spinner OR a 22" roller, but not a 21" roller?

If anyone has a rec for a great, preferably economical, 21" *rolling* carry-on (I literally do not understand the appeal of the spinner), I'm all ears. With the new IATA regs coming (21.5"x13.5"x7.5") surely somebody makes one, or WILL make one (I'm looking at you, Travelpro)...
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:29 pm

I can point you in the direction of an economical 20" rolling carryon, if you are interested - but it won't meet that new IATA reg's depth requirement. (In fact, off the top of my head I can't think of ANY rollaboards which will meet it - 7.5" is super shallow!)
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
My husband had this problem last year - he ended up with a rolling duffel (Northface) because he couldn't find an Eagle creek like mine (mine is 20" though) Does Osprey make any?

The TLS motherlode comes in a 21" - still a duffel but way more shape than the Northface my husband ended up with http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/m...ductid=1325216

(hopefully the pendulum will swing back toward rollers and away from spinners - for those of us who prefer rollers, it's hard to shop these days!)
Old Jun 17, 2015, 12:06 pm

Looks like EC does have some 20" rollers http://shop.eaglecreek.com/lightweight-carry-on/l/111
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:00 pm
No longer with Internet Brands
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
My husband had this problem last year - he ended up with a rolling duffel (Northface) because he couldn't find an Eagle creek like mine (mine is 20" though) Does Osprey make any?

The TLS motherlode comes in a 21" - still a duffel but way more shape than the Northface my husband ended up with http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/m...ductid=1325216

(hopefully the pendulum will swing back toward rollers and away from spinners - for those of us who prefer rollers, it's hard to shop these days!)
The exact bag I am eyeing. At $135.99 with discount
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:43 pm

Who doesn't love a discount?^

My husband actually likes the northface duffel he ended up getting, but is still bummed because I got a fantastic deal on my eagle creek - it was in Amazon's outlet section for $89 or something ridiculous like that - I think I bought it in 2011 or 2012 - discontinued model etc....Sometimes it's about the deal and not the product. At least in our house
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by artemis
I can point you in the direction of an economical 20" rolling carryon, if you are interested - but it won't meet that new IATA reg's depth requirement. (In fact, off the top of my head I can't think of ANY rollaboards which will meet it - 7.5" is super shallow!)
This IATA "depth requirement" is only a recommendation, not a regulation, and I for one hope it fades away.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
I have that bag, love it. Also have the 25" for longer trips.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
With 20% discount code, which are available from time to time, price is down as low as $128 & shipped free, lifetime unconditional warranty.

Travel for 6 to 12 days abroad on extended trips with the 22" TLS Weekender Convertible (w/o wheels) and the eTech 2.0 Macroloader Backpack (w. 2 packing cubes, etc.), which function as a personal bag when not overpacked - amazing combo.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:54 am

Victorinox CH 97 series: in this series there are smaller rollers such as the CH20 and CH22. One of them might work:
http://www.victorinox.com/ch/categor...uctPriority_up
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel

Another vote for the Ebags offering - it's my go-to wheeled bag.

I see that they've also revised the "cheaper" version of the bag, removing the side handles I cut off. It's a good bag if you don't want the expansion facility or tie down straps. Though it is 22", the other is 21.5 and what's 1/2" between friends.....

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/m...-duffel/242273
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:45 am

Based upon my readings in this forum, I just bought an eBags TLS Mother Lode 21" mini off of eBay. Brand new....$90 with Free shipping.

Anyone beat that?

When it arrives in a couple of days, I'm hoping my bride will want one also. We'll be doing a two week European river cruise this Fall and we'll be doing it with a carry on bag each.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Based upon my readings in this forum, I just bought an eBags TLS Mother Lode 21" mini off of eBay. Brand new....$90 with Free shipping.

Anyone beat that?

When it arrives in a couple of days, I'm hoping my bride will want one also. We'll be doing a two week European river cruise this Fall and we'll be doing it with a carry on bag each.
That's a great idea! Maybe you guys could provide some packing ideas in another thread? Hint, hint.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde
That's a great idea! Maybe you guys could provide some packing ideas in another thread? Hint, hint.
What do you mean "another thread?" My reply was on topic for this thread.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
What do you mean "another thread?" My reply was on topic for this thread.
Not impugning your participation in this thread at all. Just would like to see a thread on packing for the autumn for men and women (carry-on only) for a longish trip. We tend to split those up by gender, or consider the business traveler exclusively.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.