Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Ideas to resolve "insufficient light" in hotel rooms?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ideas to resolve "insufficient light" in hotel rooms?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cloudship
By quality of light, are we talking color temperature? harshness? Flickering? Directionality?

I dislike the major usage of Compact Fluorescent, but have given up that battle and just hope that the changeover to LED, which is still not as good as Incandescent if you ask me, happens quickly. As a leisure traveler, whose work is mostly done on the computer, the lighting levels are not that bad for me. However I could easily understand it being a problem for other people.

Carrying a bulb would seem a bit risky to me due to the breakage potential. An Led solution might be much better. I have seen this, though never used it: http://www.amazon.com/Daylight-U4500.../dp/B007QNE33Y. I think it has 900 lumen.

Try repositioning the lights if you can. Put them near mirrors to increase reflectance. And even if it doesn't seem to be in a useful spot, having multiple light source points can make it feel brighter, so keep the bathroom light on even if you are not in there.
My concern is quantity, even though I agree that fluorescent lights suck as much as any light bulb can suck. Replacement with LEDs is adequate for the quality of light, but this still does not address my core issue of quantity.

What I'm looking for is a full room full of light---something like the equivalent of AT LEAST two 150-Watt incandescent bulbs.* The light bulb cord extension will work great, as long as I can find a good, super-bright, traveling light bulb.

* - I've got task and mood lighting (as well as task/mood music, task/mood candles, and task/mood wine) covered.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
Originally Posted by ScatterX
My concern is quantity, even though I agree that fluorescent lights suck as much as any light bulb can suck. Replacement with LEDs is adequate for the quality of light, but this still does not address my core issue of quantity.

What I'm looking for is a full room full of light---something like the equivalent of AT LEAST two 150-Watt incandescent bulbs.* The light bulb cord extension will work great, as long as I can find a good, super-bright, traveling light bulb.

* - I've got task and mood lighting (as well as task/mood music, task/mood candles, and task/mood wine) covered.
Maybe carry one of these with your light bulb extension cord. Its a 3-pack for $11.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-60W-Eq...-205783755-_-N

Or maybe get one of these?
Amazon Amazon

OR
Amazon Amazon
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:24 pm

You might want to take a look at backpacking lanterns, such as these by Black Diamond. Two would light up a room pretty well.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: Independent
That's a lot of light. A 150 watt incandescent puts out over 2600 lumens. You would need over 6 regular 60 watt bulbs to reach that level. Many people light a 10x10 small bedroom with one or two bulbs.

Outside of carrying extra lamps with you, I don't think you can do much other than maybe taking the shades off of every lamp in the room. Most have at least 4 - a desk lamp, one on each side of the bed, and usually stand lamp by the chair. Figuring each has a 60 watt equivalent, that would be 3200 lumen, although agreed spread out.

I don't have a good idea. You can buy a high-output bulb. But that is going to be a risky thing to carry around.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:58 pm

Try an LED work light.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. While these are great suggestions, they are not exactly what I'm hoping to get from the brainiac cabal that is FT. Opening the shades doesn't help when one has to finish that last P1TA report at 2:30am or start packing at 3:00am. And using a headlamp to pack (which I sometimes do) is just annoying, unnecessary, and really uncool.

+1,000 for the task and spot lighting suggestions. These are good ideas and very helpful for certain situations. But I think I have that covered, since I already use the aforementioned iPhone light, a
USB laptop light USB laptop light
, a pretty powerful
headlamp headlamp
, and a dandy collection of sure-fire tactical flashlights.

What I'd love to have is a way to light the whole room when my work is spread out or I need to make sure I've packed everything I have (like an idiot) spread out all over the place. Something like a dozen 200-Watt flood lights (on a dimmer [or maybe with the Clapper]) would be great. What I often get is so little lights that I can't tell the difference between my work and a python.
I have found a rechargeable multi-LED mechanic's work light that is a wand about one foot long and 1.5 inches in diameter. This works to provide a wide area of light (think under car hood) and can be recharged so you aren't hunting for batteries.
This might work for you.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
Here's a 2500 Lumen LED (250ish Watt equivalent PAR bulb.

http://www.amazon.com/Feit-BR40-DM-2...ews/B00JXPPPOY

If you can find a desk or floor lamp with a vertical bulb orientation and a harp that isn't too small, just pop the shade off and swap the CFL for this, it should throw a decent flood pattern on the ceiling that should give some decent indirect illumination covering an average standard sleeping room. Most fixtures support at least a 60 Watt bulb, so that shouldn't be an issue.

These are heavy, but with a metal heat sink and a polycarbonate cover they are pretty durable. Hang the lamp shade on the entry door knob as a reminder to grab your bulb on the way out.

Inelegant, but effective.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
A lot of cheaper and not so cheap hotels put 40 and even 25 watt bulbs in their lamps. The rooms are just dark, dark, dark. I hate being in these dark rooms.

My dad used to sometimes carry a couple of light bulbs with him, but that was when he would be traveling by car.

I've seen some 100 watt LED bulbs that are made of glass, but the glass is very thick and the base is covered in plastic. If packed carefully I don't think they would be likely to break.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
Unless you have a light bulb/globe that is practically unbreakable, and you can bring along a small screwdriver, it wont work.
I have noticed that some hotels have lamp housing that need a screwdriver to open.
Also, some parts of the world have 110 volts, the wrong bulb/globe that zap.
Best of luck anyways.
Worst is if the room does not have a table lamp, ala a certain hotel on Queen St, Auckland, behind the chemist, near the top of Queen and K Road.
Dont climb to the ceiling trying a fit.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: Now back at base level for these 2:QFF-now NB, Virgin-Velocity-NR
This one might solve if you have to see in a hotel room what you are doing, from time to time, count 1-200 and while doing it, keep turning the handle, it provides amazing light.
No need for batteries, and you can carry it around very well.
Small too, good for putting into plane hold baggage.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/1113...d=107&chn=psod for spot reading.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i wonder if decent hotels will go out and pick up decent light bulbs for at (and charge you for it) or if they sometimes have decent bulbs in storage that they can put in
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

That's a lot of light. A 150 watt incandescent puts out over 2600 lumens. You would need over 6 regular 60 watt bulbs to reach that level. Many people light a 10x10 small bedroom with one or two bulbs.
I like a lot of light. And, I typically try to avoid 100 sq. ft. hotel rooms.

You can buy a high-output bulb. But that is going to be a risky thing to carry around.
Other than a broken LED, what's the risk?

Originally Posted by thecoldhandoftechnology
^ I got one of these, a different type that's 100-watt EQ, and a couple of lamp cords. I'll report back how well these work.

Originally Posted by AustralianPoochie
Don't climb to the ceiling trying a fit.
Especially when you can't see what you're standing on. @:-)

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i wonder if decent hotels will go out and pick up decent light bulbs for at (and charge you for it) or if they sometimes have decent bulbs in storage that they can put in
I've thought about asking many times, but never have. I will start, since I'm guessing Marriott and SPG properties will give me bulbs (if they have them).
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: Independent
Other than a broken LED, what's the risk?
A suitcase of broken glass?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Priority Pass
travel with good flashlights

I always have a Fenix LD20 led 2xAA flashlight filled with 2 Eneloop rechargeable AA's. Runtimes in Fenix flashlights are 6 hours at 105 lumens. Very bright. Buy a diffuser and it will light up a good portion of the room.
http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMor...1#.VYKTYvmqqko
This saved me when the power went out in the rooms on the night I was packing to check out for 8 hours at the Marriott Reforma Mexico City. Just stood the flashlight up and went about my business with plenty of light.

I have one of these too, which suits your needs even better. It stands up and you can point it across a whole hotel room. But it has plastic parts and its not as durable bouncing around in your bag as the the LD22, so that's why I don't leave it in my luggage. However this is great if you want to light up a room and includes a diffuser. Only one battery so runtimes are alot shorter than the LD22. Also uses Eneloops. I've switched over all my AA&AAA to Eneloops.
http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMor...1#.VYKSPvmqqko

If you really wanted to geek out on this super high powered LED flashlight stuff, check out candlepowerforums its as overwhelming as FT is for travelers.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I own several 1000+ lumen flashlights. They're great as flashlights, but would be essentially useless to light up a room as they're extremely directional.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers

Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.