Reload this Page >

IATA agrees new cabin luggage dimensions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IATA agrees new cabin luggage dimensions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:33 am

I belong to a group of travelers, who are really unable to avoid LH, thus I have to align my plans with the airline. Assessing worst possible scenario, I have to assume, that LH at some point will change internal regulations for their carriers, since they endorsed the initiative, and I think they will go with IATA's cabin size (50 x 35 x 20), despite that is merely recommendation at this point of time.

Whilst it is true process has been suspended for re-evaluation, but it is hardly dead, and the airline can do as they like. Manufacturers began re-tooling and I expect smaller bags on the market soon. My old trusty 22" Rimowa Topaz was confiscated by my nephew, and I need therefore a replacement. Challenge is in reading a crystal ball and plan for next a few years, not a next week, especially when a suitcase of the Lufthansa World-shop is running in the range EUR 500 - 700, and I really do not cherish to buy one case today, and before I manage to return from (extended) the trip, I will have to buy a smaller one or accept penalties.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by tigerbaby328
Just went on the Rimowa website, be it China, UK, or USA sites, Rimowa has REMOVED its "IATA" suffix on their Cabin Multiwheel Topas, Limbo and Salsa Deluxe lines! I could swear they were still there yesterday! Mmmmm, I wonder what Rimowa up to? Anyone shed any light on this as on another thread similar to this one under Travelbuzz someone has confirmed IATA have reviewed, albeit retracted what they proposed last week.
On Rimowa website, under "partnership" tab:
Für alle die hoch hinaus wollen.
Besuchen Sie doch gleich mal den WorldShop der Lufthansa. Hier finden Sie alles was das Reisen mit dem Flugzeug leichter macht: Die Lufthansa-Collection by RIMOWA. Hochwertige Produkte, speziell nach den aktuellen IATA-Normen für die Luftfahrt entwickelt.
- partnership with LH
- conformance to IATA norms (probably mis-statement)
Old Aug 3, 2015, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by eanwebster
IMO here is what will happen:

1. The airlines will hide behind this and gradually (or even quickly) move to adopting this standard as it will clearly line their pockets sticking our old fashioned acceptable cabin bags in the hold.

2. The luggage manufacturers must be laughing all over their faces A completely new market re-tooling frequent flyers with new cabin bags

3. The several hundred pounds I have recently spent on two 'life-time guaranteed' Briggs & Riley cabin bags will be money down the drain. If I need a checked bag they will be too small, and under these guidelines they will be too big.

In short, the airlines are expecting us, the passengers, to pay to solve a problem of their own making.

Many of us, like me, don't carry cabin bags as an 'extra'. Luggage for a business trip of 2 or 3 days can easily be accommodated in a reasonable bin-fitting bag. But take a look at just how slim 7.5 inches is! Even the British Airways additional 'personal item' would not fit this ludicrous new proposed size.

Class action suit anyone?
Totally agree, but regardless of size, the weight limit (8 kg on LH) is simply something else. The suitcase net weight with my 15" Mac in it is enough to get me close to the cabin weight limit. On long hauls I have to then either travel first class, buy a new bag on the destination, or whatever, but I cannot travel without one, because of planned short trips on the trains, and long stay. I am little bit ashamed to admit it, but on last two trips I was taking my Rimowa for all practical purposes empty on board. All my stuff was in my briefcase and checked bag. I am reading in here how Ninja people survive regulations, but I haven't figured that out yet.

Last edited by Sakae; Aug 3, 2015 at 6:22 am
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Sabena58
Well we have a official statement of Rimowa:

Rimowa will not support the plans to reduce the standard size of 55x40x20cm and neither have we provided such a recommendation to IATA or any airline company.

Furthermore they say that there is no standardised guideline for carry-on luggage in the past despite previous recommendations from IATA. Airlines are still able (in the end) to decide for themselves which dimensions they permit.

Well this says it all, in my opinion it is the whole British Airways debacle with the 56x45x25cm carry on that will not be going in the new dreamliners of Boeing. Case closed.

Also a official statement from Lufthansa themselves: They signed the agreement that IATA search for a solution for recommended worldwide cabin baggage. They don't say anything about a 55x35x20cm. Also it is stupid to think that Lufthansa is going with this because they have a special Rimowa collection in Size 55x40x23cm for cabin.
Hi, would you have a link to Rimowa statement on this issue? I actually approached them over the weekend with point blank question, if and when smaller suitcases will be available? Now I have to wait for a response, if I get one at all.

Well, I got it, and as someone already pointed out, Rimowa is distancing themselves from this initiative, however, without telling me how proactive they are, what I was told, that if and when the airline shall accept such dimensional restrictions, Rimowa will support it, and make necessary changes on their product line. Nothing however in advance. I must of course thank Rimowa for prompt and kind response to my inquiry.

Last edited by Sakae; Aug 3, 2015 at 7:54 am Reason: Response from Rimowa was received
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:40 am

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...after-backlash

and I quote:

Two US senators criticised the idea, saying it would require passengers to pay more and buy new luggage. A top US airline group that includes the world’s three largest air carriers – American, Delta and United – also formally came out against the proposal on Wednesday.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:55 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/articles/ia...criticism.html

another article.......
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Mellonc
http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...after-backlash

and I quote:

Two US senators criticised the idea, saying it would require passengers to pay more and buy new luggage. A top US airline group that includes the world’s three largest air carriers – American, Delta and United – also formally came out against the proposal on Wednesday.
I am not sure about relevancy what US based airlines decide, and how it affects LH. This is an airline which has tighter control over cabin carry on for years. I think they simply will do whatever they decide traffic will bear, without loosing much of their business as a Star Alliance member. I might meanwhile end up getting Rimowa kiddie trolley. For a while I thought about it as a joke, but since I am a minimalist anyway, 20" mini could carry enough of my stuff for one or two business days, and I might get this issue out of my sight.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
About a month ago I had a long conversation with an apparently very knowledgeable Tumi store manager. He said that Tumi's plans to make new sized pieces were on indefinite hold because the major USA legacy carriers weren't planning to adopt the new standards.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
About a month ago I had a long conversation with an apparently very knowledgeable Tumi store manager. He said that Tumi's plans to make new sized pieces were on indefinite hold because the major USA legacy carriers weren't planning to adopt the new standards.
I was actually checking Tumi as well, and I would not mind to get their CFX carry on. Problem is, even today, since it is 22", I would not be allowed to board the plane with it, because it might not fit into a sizer neither in Frankfurt, or Narita. I wonder how many flyers are really buying those beauties in EU. Otherwise very light, durable, and innovative - but BIG. Maybe they are really only after NA market, but then, why do they advertise it in EU? I am however taking with me their Marina CFX.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Sakae
I was actually checking Tumi as well, and I would not mind to get their CFX carry on. Problem is, even today, since it is 22", I would not be allowed to board the plane with it, because it might not fit into a sizer neither in Frankfurt, or Narita. I wonder how many flyers are really buying those beauties in EU. Otherwise very light, durable, and innovative - but BIG. Maybe they are really only after NA market, but then, why do they advertise it in EU? I am however taking with me their Marina CFX.
Actually the sizers in the Narita location which I personally tried is about 23.25 inches long. Yes. they fit.

Last edited by Mellonc; Aug 3, 2015 at 11:22 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 3, 2015, 11:31 am

Actually the sizers in the Narita location which I personally tried is about 23.75 inches long. Yes. they fit.
Hmm, OK, but it is strange. Last time a person I dealt with at Narita, she was measuring and weighing my stuff, while apologizing that she had to do that, since she was at LH counter, and was so ordered by a LH supervisor. That's weird how experiences do vary. I paid of course penalty (not first time), but that was best I could do under those circumstances, never-mind that part of my stuff was placed into a cardboard box, which upon arrival I have found sitting in the middle of a large room without any supervision, and when I picked up, no one asked me, if I actually have any right to it. Now I had enough, and I am pretty much determined not to take too many chances anymore.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I am not sure about relevancy what US based airlines decide, and how it affects LH. This is an airline which has tighter control over cabin carry on for years. I think they simply will do whatever they decide traffic will bear, without loosing much of their business as a Star Alliance member. I might meanwhile end up getting Rimowa kiddie trolley. For a while I thought about it as a joke, but since I am a minimalist anyway, 20" mini could carry enough of my stuff for one or two business days, and I might get this issue out of my sight.
The impact of the North American carriers is that they (and others) have effectively forced IATA to put a hold on this Cabin OK initiative and to reevaluate. This means that the size recommendations likely will change. If you are very concerned about it, there is not much you can do except wait until IATA itself makes a new recommendation and LH subsequently (again) states that they will follow said recommendation.

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pag...-06-17-01.aspx
The International Air Transport Association (IATA) announced that it was pausing the rollout of its Cabin OK initiative and beginning a comprehensive reassessment in light of concerns expressed, primarily in North America. This will include further engagement with program participants, the IATA membership, and key stakeholders...

While the value of this initiative has been welcomed by many, including a growing list of airlines expressing interest in the program, there has also been much confusion. In North America particularly, there have been significant concerns raised in the media and by key stakeholders.
Or if you're not one to wait, just get a bag that is already very close in size to the recommendations. My Victorinox Mobilizer NXT 5.0 20" suitcase is measured at 51x36x20, making it, relative to the initial proposals, 4cm shorter, 1 cm wider, and equal in depth. I seriously doubt anyone would quibble over 1cm in width. Victorinox have other similarly-sized suitcases. Here are a couple of examples:
http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product...ry-On/32340201 (same size specs as my bag)
http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product...ry-On/31318219 (3cm wider, otherwise specs equal to new IATA recommendation)

Last edited by gobluetwo; Aug 3, 2015 at 1:46 pm
Old Aug 3, 2015, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
The impact of the North American carriers is that they (and others) have effectively forced IATA to put a hold on this Cabin OK initiative and to reevaluate. This means that the size recommendations likely will change. If you are very concerned about it, there is not much you can do except wait until IATA itself makes a new recommendation and LH subsequently (again) states that they will follow said recommendation.

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/Pag...-06-17-01.aspx

Or if you're not one to wait, just get a bag that is already very close in size to the recommendations. My Victorinox Mobilizer NXT 5.0 20" suitcase is measured at 51x36x20, making it, relative to the initial proposals, 4cm shorter, 1 cm wider, and equal in depth. I seriously doubt anyone would quibble over 1cm in width. Victorinox have other similarly-sized suitcases. Here are a couple of examples:
http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product...ry-On/32340201 (same size specs as my bag)
http://www.victorinox.com/ch/product...ry-On/31318219 (3cm wider, otherwise specs equal to new IATA recommendation)
Thank you, nice recommendation, and extensive reply. I tend to agree with you, that recommendation will probably change, but if you think about it, in perfect world, it should not, because recommended downsizing was a mathematically derived conclusion to allow storage of bags for all travelers, assuming all of them accepted this recommendation. Put it differently, per IATA, as I understand it, anyone storing a large suitcase basically taking things out of balance, and in full load, last load of passengers would have consequently some bags checked.

Victorinox is a good company. I had several bags from them, all gone now, but one - 24" Tourbach upright, my checked luggauge of choice. At the end, there is really no point to worry about that, because I will have to get something, and move on. Proactively I thought I will play agressive defense with my selection of travel gear, but point is, I am not going to win this one.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:05 pm

Hmm, OK, but it is strange. Last time a person I dealt with at Narita, she was measuring and weighing my stuff, while apologizing that she had to do that, since she was at LH counter, and was so ordered by a LH supervisor. That's weird how experiences do vary. I paid of course penalty (not first time), but that was best I could do under those circumstances, never-mind that part of my stuff was placed into a cardboard box, which upon arrival I have found sitting in the middle of a large room without any supervision, and when I picked up, no one asked me, if I actually have any right to it. Now I had enough, and I am pretty much determined not to take too many chances anymore.
I am not I following your logic here. Are you referring to weight or size? Many international carriers have strict limitation on weight. I was replying to your size comment on the 22 inch Tumi bag. The weight will simply depend on how much you put in there and the empty bag weight.

The OP is dealing with the size of the bags which IATA was trying to impose to very little fanfare.

Weight is a different thing altogether. If you were concerned about weight then perhaps you'd go with an all fabric bag like a Tom Bihn, RedOxx, REI bags, or even a hybrid like a Tumi Super Leger or Lipault.....

Last edited by Mellonc; Aug 3, 2015 at 6:43 pm
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:54 pm

I am not I following your logic here. Are you referring to weight or size? Many international carriers have strict limitation on weight. I was replying to your size comment on the 22 inch Tumi bag. The weight will simply depend on how much you put in there and the empty bag weight.

The OP is dealing with the size of the bags which IATA was trying to impose to very little fanfare.

Weight is a different thing altogether. If you were concerned about weight then perhaps you'd go with an all fabric bag like a Tom Bihn, RedOxx, REI bags, or even a hybrid like a Tumi Super Leger or Lipault.....
Concern is about both, weight and sizes, since both are regulated, and deviation has its consequences. Working for a foreign airline, Japanese are very diligent in performing checks as airline ask them to do, such is my experience.

I am not expert on this topic, however it stands to a reason, that a sizing frame for standard applicable to NA airlines (allowing 22") should not be of the same size as one for LH with a different requirement (21.7 x 15.7 x 7.9). I have my sizes checked in hand, and weighed as any other passenger.
From technical point of view objects aren't perfect geometrical bodies, and together with manufacturing tolerances of sizing frames it stands to a reason, that such gauge has to be large than nominal sizes stated by the airline. How much that is, of course I do not know, and it can somewhat vary from a station to station. Several months ago I send enquiry to Lufthansa, requesting information regarding permissible variances on the luggage, and they responded that I should follow instructions on their website, which of course states one number. Whether it is a nominal or max. limit, I have no clue, but that's what it is, and enforcement of that standard seems depending how it is measured, actual size of the case, actual size of the frame, and if measured in hand, add also perhaps mood of the person who does the check. Definitely it is not a precise process.

Last edited by Sakae; Aug 3, 2015 at 11:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.