Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

IATA agrees new cabin luggage dimensions

IATA agrees new cabin luggage dimensions

Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by John Isaac
My Goruck GR1 complies with that new standard...
http://www.goruck.com/gr1-black-/p/GEAR-000066.
And not only does it comply size-wise, it also has a "Separate, bombproof compartment".
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:07 pm

What a stroke of good luck that this thread started! So so nearly about to order a Rimowa 55 x 40 x 20 IATA Topas! Thanks BlackberryAddict!

The $64,000 question is will Rimowa be producing a 55 x (new 35) x 20 size Topas or Limbo or Salsa Deluxe?

I guess this answers my thread on "Why the different size and weight restrictions?!" It's taken IATA a long time to make things standard but will this not piss a lot of travellers who already have, say, 55 x 40 x 20 sizes of cabin luggage? When will this new rule be enforced and what will happen to all the older IATA approved sizes? Will the airline companies honour the old IATA sizes? (If they do, I may still get the IATA Topas or Limbo!)
Old Jun 10, 2015, 5:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Should be retitled "airlines' mouthpiece finds one more way to self-serve and enhance airline revenue, causing inconvenience to passengers and harm to luggage manufacturers".

While newer and some refurbished aircraft are coming out with newer, larger bins to take carry-one loaded sideways, these guys are seeing how they can push more passengers who have learned to live with one carry-on and a personal item check bags in for increased airline revenue.

Of corse, this is a preliminary move, and it may yet not be adopted.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
harm to luggage manufacturers".
Agree with everything except the above. Isn't this a plus to manufacturers? Of course existing designs eventually won't be saleable, but this will take a while to go into effect giving them time to unload inventory. It also may point to an eventual replacement cycle that should be a boon to the manufacturers.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by tigerbaby328
What a stroke of good luck that this thread started! So so nearly about to order a Rimowa 55 x 40 x 20 IATA Topas! Thanks BlackberryAddict!

The $64,000 question is will Rimowa be producing a 55 x (new 35) x 20 size Topas or Limbo or Salsa Deluxe?

I guess this answers my thread on "Why the different size and weight restrictions?!" It's taken IATA a long time to make things standard but will this not piss a lot of travellers who already have, say, 55 x 40 x 20 sizes of cabin luggage? When will this new rule be enforced and what will happen to all the older IATA approved sizes? Will the airline companies honour the old IATA sizes? (If they do, I may still get the IATA Topas or Limbo!)
You're welcome. I also have two Rimowa cabin cases, so will be annoyed if they would be too big.

Originally Posted by TravlnD
Agree with everything except the above. Isn't this a plus to manufacturers? Of course existing designs eventually won't be saleable, but this will take a while to go into effect giving them time to unload inventory. It also may point to an eventual replacement cycle that should be a boon to the manufacturers.
Fully agree with this, In fact, I think this was pushed by manufacturers. There was clear evidence of that on the photo in the article on the BBC website, but that photo has now been removed.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:21 am

Hello Everybody,

Already a few statements by Ryanair and the Lufthansa group. They will maintain the sizes they have. For Lufthansa that is 55x40x23 and for Ryanair this is 55x40x20. The idea to have this IATA OK Cabin size for the future is an idea that IATA present to all aviation partners but a lot of the European partners seem to hold on to the older sizes for this moment (115 linear centimetres).

I think this has also to do with Lufthansa working together and having cabins built for the worldstore.

I hope they will stop the debate and come out with an offical update about this.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
IATA being the lobby & mouthpiece for the airlines and not the flyers, this shouldn't be a surprise to most FT'ers that makers like Samonsite & Delsey are quick to lined up and begin production ... afterall, their products survived far fewer trips and have a much shorter replacement cycle.

Just have a difficult time visualizing B&R, Tumi & others upscale brands selling lots of new "OK" pieces unless they plan to offer trade-ins and incentives for these voluntary ?? downsizing by the "annoyed" pax.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
All my carry on bags are Red Oxx and I don't have one of the really big ones. Thus no problems for me about having to make changes.

Due to TSA rules about equipment / tools, I always have one 25 inches bag with wheels to check. eBags brand.

I'll just keep doing what I've been doing since a long while back JDiver put me on to Red Oxx bags.thanks JDiver!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 3:06 am

Unhappy Not good news at all....

IMO here is what will happen:

1. The airlines will hide behind this and gradually (or even quickly) move to adopting this standard as it will clearly line their pockets sticking our old fashioned acceptable cabin bags in the hold.

2. The luggage manufacturers must be laughing all over their faces A completely new market re-tooling frequent flyers with new cabin bags

3. The several hundred pounds I have recently spent on two 'life-time guaranteed' Briggs & Riley cabin bags will be money down the drain. If I need a checked bag they will be too small, and under these guidelines they will be too big.

In short, the airlines are expecting us, the passengers, to pay to solve a problem of their own making.

Many of us, like me, don't carry cabin bags as an 'extra'. Luggage for a business trip of 2 or 3 days can easily be accommodated in a reasonable bin-fitting bag. But take a look at just how slim 7.5 inches is! Even the British Airways additional 'personal item' would not fit this ludicrous new proposed size.

Class action suit anyone?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:39 am

Well we have a official statement of Rimowa:

Rimowa will not support the plans to reduce the standard size of 55x40x20cm and neither have we provided such a recommendation to IATA or any airline company.

Furthermore they say that there is no standardised guideline for carry-on luggage in the past despite previous recommendations from IATA. Airlines are still able (in the end) to decide for themselves which dimensions they permit.

Well this says it all, in my opinion it is the whole British Airways debacle with the 56x45x25cm carry on that will not be going in the new dreamliners of Boeing. Case closed.

Also a official statement from Lufthansa themselves: They signed the agreement that IATA search for a solution for recommended worldwide cabin baggage. They don't say anything about a 55x35x20cm. Also it is stupid to think that Lufthansa is going with this because they have a special Rimowa collection in Size 55x40x23cm for cabin.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA GS slavery, *A Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
When does this take effect? Is there a date or a grace period?
also it seems like mostly the Euro airlines are the ones that are part of this IATA thing.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by eanwebster

Class action suit anyone?
This. +1
Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:35 pm

I hate to say this, but perhaps airlines need some regulation by the Feds. Not that the Feds will do a good job but this is really just getting out of hand. I think, for safety and sanity sake, each passenger deserves some minimal amount of cubic sq ft including a reasonable luggage space.

By the way, I just want to mention that southwest, frontier, alaska, virgin america still have 24 by 16 by 10 carry on size.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 10:00 am

AA website says 22 x 14 x 9
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:05 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
Originally Posted by Barks
I'm bummed. My husband and I were gifted with two Rimowa Salsa Air cases as a wedding gift. They've been on ONE trip (I won't let hubby use one for business travel!) and now it sounds like the lovely cabin trolley may be headed for the rubbish bin.
You should let hubby get use out of them while he can.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.