Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for Nylon Briefcase

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Recommendations for Nylon Briefcase

For more than 10 years, I've been traveling been with an LL Bean ballistic nylon briefcase which was built like a tank and could accommodate an amazing amount of stuff, including a 17" laptop. Unfortunately, the fabric where the zippers attached to the bags is going and it's time for a new purchase. Here's what I am looking for:

1. A briefcase style bag with a tough nylon fabric that can accommodate a 17 inch laptop.

2. No wheels. I prefer a strap that is attached to the bag with metal fittings. I always want to carry it with me on regional jets.

3. The capacity to hold a good quantity of documents and electronics.

The current LL Bean offerings are not as large as the one I currently have and do not appear to be as durable.

The McKleinUSA WALTON 73985 seems to fit the bill at a good price point.(
Amazon Amazon
) and is priced right. Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

I very much like Briggs and Riley, but a similarly sized bag is in the $300 range and I don't know if I want to spend that much.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by jrak; May 20, 2015 at 9:37 am Reason: typos
Old May 20, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
You should first contact LL Bean to see if they'll replace it, as they're supposed to have great customer service.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Last year, I sent a fairly expensive technical jacket back to them because a zipper had failed and they gave me a credit for a new purchase. I had it for a few years, but thought it should have lasted longer. With the briefcase, I really feel that it surpassed my expectations for longevity and has served me well enough to retire it without asking for a refund.
Old May 20, 2015, 10:47 am

I bought my husband a Victorinox laptop bag/briefcase years ago and it's still going strong.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by jrak
I very much like Briggs and Riley, but a similarly sized bag is in the $300 range and I don't know if I want to spend that much.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Briggs breifcaess are nice but the new generation that they started selling a year ago has couple of big issues:

1. shoulder strap attachment points do not rotate. As such you straps are always twisted (think of your hair dryer cords in the moring)

2. bags don't sit up right. With a lap top it always falls forward. Have a look at the bottom of the bag. The bottom is not even. it's as if they sandwiched different bags together at different heights.

You can try this:
Amazon Amazon

or

Amazon Amazon

the second one if 20% right now. I tried both. They are both nice. Victorinox is more in tune with people used to bigger pockets and bigger slots for things. Tumi is for people who are more efficient at packing and have smaller things to tote around. They both take huge laptops.
Old May 21, 2015, 9:09 pm

Take a look at the Red Oxx Metro or CPA briefcases. Rock solid build with a no questions asked lifetime warranty. Both will hold a 17" laptop and they have built in padding to help protect your computer. The Metro is narrower that the CPA, but it will still hold a good quantity of paper. The CPA is cavernous
Old May 22, 2015, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by OnTheRoad99
Take a look at the Red Oxx Metro or CPA briefcases. Rock solid build with a no questions asked lifetime warranty. Both will hold a 17" laptop and they have built in padding to help protect your computer. The Metro is narrower that the CPA, but it will still hold a good quantity of paper. The CPA is cavernous
Agree completely. I am a bag collector so I rotate around a lot but I have both of these and they are amazing quality. Other options are Waterfield Designs (aka www.sfbags.com), I am currently carrying one of their messengers. They are also superb quality, made in the US and fantastic customer service. I have also been happy with Timbuk2. I just realized I have 7 briefcases/messengers. Well, 8 counting the B&R large expandable briefcase/overnight bag.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
On the road 99 beat me to the redox brand of briefcase. You may want to look at Tom Binh who have a lot of briefcase choices. Both companies make excellent products and have lifetime warranty. Both are made in the USA if that is important to you.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Unless you are always TSA PRE selected, I would be looking for a bag that is also TSA Friendly. Take a look at the Timbuk2 Command Plus Messenger Bag These bags are TSA Friendly, very well made and have a lifetime warranty. They have high quality zippers and are very thoughtfully designed. I have 400,000 miles on mine and it looks like new.

And the messenger style means that you have the option of carrying it with the strap diagonal across your chest, which gives you both hands free. No slipping off your shoulder and no tired arm on a long schlep. Great price too.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. Several were new to me and quite interesting. It's going to be tough decision given all the good choices.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:55 am
Original Poster

I decided to splurge and go with the Briggs and Riley Large Expandable Brief, partly out of brand loyalty (I have traveled extensively with their 22 inch bag and it's performed really well.) and partly because I preferred the more formal look. I also liked that it could be slimmed down for meetings and that it had the storage space for clothes.

Mellonc's observations were spot on. The strap issue does not bother me and I like the strap holder that's built into the bag. The bag does not stand up straight and that can be annoying at times. My LLBean would do that as well and I am used to it.

I like the top outer zipped pocket for cables and the layout of the accessory pocket works well for me. I also like the small outer pocket that can be used for small items such change, keys, and a cell phone when going through security.

The only thing I might have added were a few zippered pockets in the main compartment. One can never have enough pockets!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.