Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Lightest small day backpack to carry laptop ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2015, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, past Sky Team Platinum

I am trying one-bagging, using a MEI Executive Overnighter. I need a small extra bag or backpack to carry my laptop and maybe some files to business meetings. This bag/backpack would go inside the MEI EO during check-in and maybe flight, or may serve as light bag to contain my stuff while in the seat during long flights.
Since I am trying to optimize on weight, I have ditched some nice but quite heavy laptop bags, and until now used a small no-name backpack, bought at a BestBuy store for about $10, weighing 370 gr (13 oz). While not at all heavy for a small backpack, it still adds just too much weight.
Which is the lightest such bag (both shoulder bag or backpack recommendations welcome) you are using?
No shoulder strap needed, as I could use the one from the MEI EO. Willing to give up on padding for the benefit of light weight.
I have come across this Tom Bihn bag (9 oz / 260 gr), anything similar or better/lighter? http://www.tombihn.com/backpacks/TB0924.html
Old May 18, 2015, 12:42 am

The New Outlander comes to mind:
Amazon Amazon

Perhaps that one interest you?
Old May 18, 2015, 7:38 am

If weight is the priority, first see if something you are already bringing can do double duty. For example, if you currently travel with your laptop in a sleeve, look into getting a slightly beefier sleeve with handles (or strap attachments) and an additional pocket for files. There are many such examples on Amazon. The packing cube backpack you linked to is another good multipurpose option if you'll be using packing cubes anyway, but I believe the Daylight briefcase or backpack are about the same weight and much more presentable.

If you just want the least possible weight you could go for a silnylon bag. Sea to Summit has several in these category, but due to the fabric they look more like gym bags than office bags. But they only weigh a couple of ounces.
Old May 18, 2015, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkyForce6
The New Outlander comes to mind: http://www.amazon.com/Packable-Light.../dp/B00UNHYXWQ

Perhaps that one interest you?
Thanks for this suggestion, it seems indeed 100gr lighter than what I am currently using.

And, no, I am not taking a laptop sleeve or bag when traveling, as it would only add more weight. The reason I like to take a small backpack is that it can double as city bag when having a day off, or when adding a bit of sightseeing at the end of a business trip.
Old May 18, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
My Travelon Stow-Away Convertible Tote or Backpack Duo is large enough for a laptop and if you can find a lighter one you are cheating
Old May 18, 2015, 2:17 pm

If you need padding for your laptop in whatever bag you choose, you can use one of those bubble-padded shipping envelopes. Customize it by trimming to size and using packing tape to reinforce the edges. Weighs almost nothing, cheap, and actually pretty durable. Not very attractive, but you can leave it inside your bag when you slide out the laptop and nobody will see it.
Old May 18, 2015, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by annieway
If you need padding for your laptop in whatever bag you choose, you can use one of those bubble-padded shipping envelopes. ...
Wow, now that is a tremendously cool idea, and solves the padding issue (I was willing to give up padding for lower weight, but no longer). Why didn't I come up with that myself
Old May 19, 2015, 12:12 pm

Bach Itsy Bitsy for this purpose - well engineered...

I use the Bach Itsy Bitsy for this purpose. Is a really nice, simple but smart design for lightweight travelling.

25 liter capacity, 240g weight. Main compartment, plus an exterior top zip pocket and an interior zip pocket for valuables. When not using, you can fold and zip it up into itself. You could literally stuff it in the pocket of a jacket.

They did a nice job with the shape and then strategically using 500 dn material around the load-bearing parts and then lighter weight ripstop (N260T Mini RS) non the rest. So if you pack it smart, it holds a shape nicely, is strong enough to be able to handle heavy, dense items e.g. laptop, bottles, etc but still super light. Also the shoulder straps are simple, but spread weight nicely and are surprisingly comfortable.

Very low key looks, so is nice for city use. In some pics the material looks shiny, but in real life it is kind of a matt stealth black, even the logo pattern is hard to discern. The pictures on Amazon are closest to how it looks in real life.

I got mine at Camp4 in Berlin, but is available fairly easily online and in Germany in general.

http://www.bachpacks.com/en/home/pro...tsy-bitsy.html

Amazon Amazon

http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/...bachpacks.html

Personally find the Itsy Bitsy to be a near- perfect bag for my mode of use, but if you want to go even more minimalist, Bach also has an interesting model called the the "Fly Weight", which goes down to 85g for 23 liter capacity:
http://www.bachpacks.com/en/home/pro...ly-weight.html

Last edited by osamede; May 19, 2015 at 12:30 pm
Old May 20, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
I've got that exact Tom Binh cube/backpack, but I don't use it for a laptop. Instead and for $30 additional - for a fairly light backpack I use an Osprey Flare (22 liters). It's what I carry along with a RedOxx Skytrain or an Osprey Farpoint 40.

Moosejaw has a pretty good inventory and they ship free. Also right now MJ has a 20% off sale - on just about everything, including packs.

Osprey Flare
Old May 20, 2015, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your great suggestions. I have to say that the Bach backpacks are highly intriguing due to their extremely low weight.
And I love the idea of using bubble-padded shipping envelopes to protect a laptop. In fact, I already made a triple-layered pouch, ready now for my next flight.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:48 am

I use a Chicobag Messenger bag as my "business" case when I travel to places that require RJ flights. It is extremely light, quite tough, folds into a little ball. I keep my 13" laptop in a sleeve and use a plastic folder for papers. www.chicobag.com. They also make a backpack with similar attributes.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:29 am

Can second Chicobag's Daypack and will also offer Alite Designs' Squirrel Mini Pack (294g) or the Notabag (50g in poly, 150g in cotton) as suggestions.
Old May 26, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Osamede, that's one intriguing find. My 14" laptop is Width: 340.5 mm (13.4 in), Depth: 233 mm (9.2 in), Height: 30.1 to 30.5 mm (1.1 to 1.2 in)

do you think it would fit? What about the weight? My current ultralightweight looks nice but I am very worried it will just tear apart -- this is an older laptop around 2kg and I would like to add a geigerrig hydration bladder which is also 2kg w/ the water inside
Old May 26, 2015, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by chx1975
Osamede, that's one intriguing find. My 14" laptop is Width: 340.5 mm (13.4 in), Depth: 233 mm (9.2 in), Height: 30.1 to 30.5 mm (1.1 to 1.2 in)

do you think it would fit? What about the weight? My current ultralightweight looks nice but I am very worried it will just tear apart -- this is an older laptop around 2kg and I would like to add a geigerrig hydration bladder which is also 2kg w/ the water inside
No problem fitting in my MacBook Pro 15" (2015 model), so I doubt there would be a problem with a 14" at 2kg.

As for durability, no I cant see you having a problem with 4kg. I've managed to get approximately double digit kilos of groceries in there before, so it's a solid bag. Like I said above, the material is very strong and they've been clever about how the constructed it.

Last edited by osamede; May 26, 2015 at 1:19 pm
Old May 26, 2015, 1:14 pm

Lufthansa Worldshop also has this interesting product, which I've seen but not tried:
https://www.worldshop.eu/product/Luf...10c37bdb7d9a?7
Lufthansa Foldaway Bags Backpack:
Emergency pack. Exceedingly light, robust nylon. Lufthansa logo on the outer pocket, comfortable padded shoulder straps. Spacious inner compartment with drawstring (43 x 40 x 16 cm). Outer pocket with zip (20 x 25 cm) and top pocket with zip. Weight: 180 g

Image: https://www.worldshop.eu/medias/sys_...?1429860750000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.