Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel electronics for entertainment and photo/video solution

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2015, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Travel electronics for entertainment and photo/video solution

I'm trying to figure out what electronics I should carry with me.

These are my needs:
- Save movies/music for in-flight entertainment (enough for long vacations... 3 weeks)
- Manage photos/vides (move from SD cards/iPhone to external HDD)
- General browsing/email/chat/messaging/etc

So this is what I'm thinking of getting but I'd like to hear your take on how you'd approach or do it differently, in case I'm missing something or there's a better way. Also if there are better devices for the same purposes, please feel free to offer recommendations.
  1. iPad [Have already]
  2. iPhone [Have already]
  3. GoPro Black Hero4 [Have already]
  4. AKG K545 headphones [Have already]
    http://www.amazon.com/AKG-K545-BTQ-S.../dp/B00H00P8DW
    Not very travel friendly. I care about sound quality over functionality when it comes to music. Not crazy about noise canceling ones either. This was the only one I found that was cheap enough that I wouldn't mind losing and sound quality wasn't too bad. If I could found one that is more collapsible without compromising sound quality, I would have been happier.
  5. 2TB Hard drive w/ Wifi and power [looking for one]
  6. USB 3.0 SD/SDHC/SDXC card reader
  7. Portable Battery
  8. Bunch of SDXC cards for the GoPro
  9. GoPro extra batteries and charger
  10. Universal Power Adapter
  11. cables: USB, lightning, etc
    Thinking of getting AmazonBasics... or are retractable ones worth it?
  12. bluetooth keyboard for iPad. Need recommendations.

Anything I'm missing? Suggestions/changes... let me know. What do you use?

Last edited by onehitrenegade; May 5, 2015 at 10:30 am Reason: Formatting to make it easier to read
Old May 5, 2015, 12:23 pm

errr....... where is the laptop? all these SD cards, cameras and so forth need to hook up to a computer. Since you have GoPro, I'm assuming you'll record some content with it...... then, you will need to place to hook it up to
Old May 5, 2015, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mellonc
errr....... where is the laptop? all these SD cards, cameras and so forth need to hook up to a computer. Since you have GoPro, I'm assuming you'll record some content with it...... then, you will need to place to hook it up to
Trying to avoid a laptop. Planning to see whether I can copy it over to HDD from SDs via iPad. Not sure whether there's an app that will support that.

Does anyone know?
Old May 5, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA: 1P, SPG: PLT
Originally Posted by onehitrenegade

5. 2TB Hard drive w/ Wifi and power [looking for one]6. USB 3.0 SD/SDHC/SDXC card reader
Anything I'm missing? Suggestions/changes... let me know. What do you use?
For 5 and 6, look at something like: Alternate WiFi drive with SD(XC) reader
Old May 5, 2015, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
WiFi External hard drives are great.. don't get me wrong... but the problem is the battery life. They end up always needing to be plugged in. Hopefully in the next 1-2 years the technology will get better and battery life will be longer
Old May 6, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Originally Posted by onehitrenegade
bluetooth keyboard for iPad. Need recommendations.
Get Apple's Wireless Keyboard. It's compact, sturdy, stylish and comfortable to type on. I have used it with my iPad and even my iPhone(!) while travelling. Of course it also works with non-Apple devices. Only disadvantage I can think of is that it's not cheap (but well worth the price in my opinion).
Old May 6, 2015, 8:33 am

Traveling used to be so simple, a way of disconnecting yourself from every day life, live in fantasy for awhile. Now we travel around like cybernetic living organisms. What will this world end up like?
Old May 6, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Originally Posted by SkyForce6
Traveling used to be so simple, a way of disconnecting yourself from every day life, live in fantasy for awhile. Now we travel around like cybernetic living organisms. What will this world end up like?
Philosopher alert!
Old May 6, 2015, 10:21 am

My loadout is a whole lot less than that when I go to shoot motorsports events. What are you really going to need 2TB of storage on the go for? I'd do a test run of how long it would take to complete an SD -> iPad -> HDD transfer to see if it's workable for your purposes.

My rule of thumb for photo/video-heavy events is 1 fresh card per device, per day. At the end of the day, each card gets its contents dumped onto my Surface Pro 3 before being labeled and set aside. Once the trip's over, the files are backed up remotely and the cards wiped for reuse.

As for entertainment purposes, I usually keep a micro SD card in the SP3 loaded with audiobooks and podcasts, a season or two of a TV show, a couple of movies, and a ton of comic books. It's plenty for me, but YMMV.
Old May 6, 2015, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edcaya
My loadout is a whole lot less than that when I go to shoot motorsports events. What are you really going to need 2TB of storage on the go for? I'd do a test run of how long it would take to complete an SD -> iPad -> HDD transfer to see if it's workable for your purposes.

My rule of thumb for photo/video-heavy events is 1 fresh card per device, per day. At the end of the day, each card gets its contents dumped onto my Surface Pro 3 before being labeled and set aside. Once the trip's over, the files are backed up remotely and the cards wiped for reuse.

As for entertainment purposes, I usually keep a micro SD card in the SP3 loaded with audiobooks and podcasts, a season or two of a TV show, a couple of movies, and a ton of comic books. It's plenty for me, but YMMV.
1 TB may end up being fine. But I need more than 256 GB for sure. Keeping enough movies on disk for those long flights when you're on vacation over 3-4 weeks is kinda important.
Old May 6, 2015, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkyForce6
Ha ha yes. I do make it a point to avoid most tech while I'm at the destination, except maybe the camera. But even that, I don't take as many pics/vids as most people. The goal is to have it down to an art so I can minimize the time spent fiddling with tech and actually enjoy the destination.

So moving a SD card out and have it copy to the external HDD without too many clicks is actually valuable. Gonna try out the WD HDD that grlittle recommended.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
My two suggestions:

For your media, a wireless media drive. I have this one and it works very well including no need for a laptop to transfer media.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Connec.../dp/B00DR8LAE2

For a keyboard, I have one of these on order. I'm hopeful that it will be as good as the reviews have been.

https://waytools.com/hands-on
Old May 12, 2015, 1:28 am

I suggest looking into the Eye-Fi Pro X2 series of memory cardsfor your SD memory card needs. Read this article for using the Eye-Fi with a GoPro.
Old May 12, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I have the Seagate WiFI drive and can get 6-8 hours of use out of it. OK if you want to watch something on a long flight and the inflight offering sucks.

Nowadays I find myself reading a lot more and a Kindle keeps me going.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Does the Surface Pro have to be powered down before takeoff and landing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.