Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have experience with the service DUFL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member

I'm not in any way associated with them, even as a customer. I just learned about them from a web feed I get daily with new iPhone apps, which they are based around. As I understand it, you sign up, they send you a bag. You fill it and send it back to them. Then before your trip you go online, pick what you want from your clothes and send them your travel info. You suitcase meets you at your hotel. At the end of the trip you ship the filled suitcase back to them. They clean the clothes, and store them until your next trip. I'm fascinated by the concept and I would love to get feedback from anyone here with experience with it or even just your general thoughts on it. Here is their website. Thanks.

http://www.dufl.com/
Old May 1, 2015, 7:50 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
An interesting concept... but not sure it makes financial sense. You have the $10 monthly fee.... and the $100 per round trip fee. That could add up.... granted it includes cleaning and storage.

But, I guess I do not want to risk not having my bag when I arrive somewhere... or what if there is a change in travel plans? Or trip in vain? I still have to pay for the round trip.

I also do not want to have to go online to tell them what I want delivered. Then, I still have to pack it up and arrange to have it shipped back.

In addition, many hotel will charge an additional fee to accept and hold the bag.

Could get very expensive.

I could never really see taking advantage of this service.
Old May 1, 2015, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
In answer to the OP's question - no - just saw the same feed today and had the same question.

But I do find the idea intriguing. I have had times where I few multiple back-to-back trips. Sometimes I got off the plane, went to my car and switched bags and then went back in and boarded the same plane I flew in on 30 minutes prior. Other times I used the hotel's cleaning service and, worst case, I shipped dirty clothes via FedEx and received clean one the same way at the next hotel.

I suspect there is limited appeal - but I'll be interested to see if anyone has tried it and can report.
Old May 3, 2015, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't tried it, but have you looked at their user agreement? It is possibly the most customer-unfriendly agreement I have ever seen.

-- It entitles them to change the agreement with no notice at all. "We may revise these Terms at any time by posting an updated version, although we will endeavor to provide you with prior notice of any material changes to these Terms. You should visit this page periodically to review the most current Terms...."

-- It limits their maximum liability to $1,000. Don't send them a good suit!

-- It farms out as much responsibility as they can think of on their unspecified third-party service providers (who handle the shipment, laundry, dry-cleaning, etc -- pretty much everything except the app). Even that measly reimbursement is not in cash but in a service credit. You also agree to be subject to the completely unspecified terms of those third-parties.

-- It prohibits any customer from complaining about them publicly or to anyone else. "You agree not to restrict, discourage or inhibit any person from using the Service."

-- It does not even make it clear that you retain ownership of your own clothes. If they go bankrupt, you may never see them again.

-- If you cancel a trip even before the items are shipped, you owe them a cancellation fee.

-- If you've found something unfair or illegal that adversely affects all customers and want to start a class action, forget it, you have signed that right away as part of the agreement.

And so on!

Oh, it also only runs on IOS. Android users are spared for now.
Old May 3, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$10 a month for storage? introductory pricing? unbelievably bad storage site?

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
-- It limits their maximum liability to $1,000. Don't send them a good suit!
http://www.garderobeonline.com/ started long before "apps" but very expensive

there are/were others as well, cant remember names

for delivery, not storage, there is http://www.luggageforward.com/
Old May 3, 2015, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback everyone. There are also the airline delivery services. I got a free trial from AA I might take advantage of. Have anyone used them? Give them your bag at check in and it shows at your hotel or home. About $30 as I recall.
Old May 3, 2015, 1:51 pm

I guess $30 is cheaper than a FedEx overnight, but still, are we incapable of carrying our own suitcases?

As to DUFL -- stupid, but stupider services have made it big (and, in so doing, become smart) in the startup universe. I think the service would be more useful if they provided clothes instead of tying up your own clothes. You send them your measurements (e.g., 15 neck/33 sleeve/32 waist/30 inseam/7.5D dress shoe) and they rent you generic but well-pressed business attire. They should also partner more closely with hotels so that clothes are unpacked and in your closet instead of in a cardboard box at the front desk.
Old May 3, 2015, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Thanks for the feedback everyone. There are also the airline delivery services. I got a free trial from AA I might take advantage of. Have anyone used them? Give them your bag at check in and it shows at your hotel or home. About $30 as I recall.
AA uses bags inc - interesting >
http://www.bagsinc.com/corporate/about

2006 article - http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/trave...age-usat_x.htm >

Cargo service resellers...Luggage Forward...are resellers. They pick up customers' bags a few days in advance and ship to destinations using cargo carriers, such as FedEx, DHL and UPS.

Remote check-in services...Bags Inc...rely on passenger airlines, not cargo shippers.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 3, 2015 at 2:22 pm
Old May 3, 2015, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355
I guess $30 is cheaper than a FedEx overnight, but still, are we incapable of carrying our own suitcases?

As to DUFL -- stupid, but stupider services have made it big (and, in so doing, become smart) in the startup universe. I think the service would be more useful if they provided clothes instead of tying up your own clothes. You send them your measurements (e.g., 15 neck/33 sleeve/32 waist/30 inseam/7.5D dress shoe) and they rent you generic but well-pressed business attire. They should also partner more closely with hotels so that clothes are unpacked and in your closet instead of in a cardboard box at the front desk.
In general I pay people to do any number of things I am capable of doing myself because it isn't how I chose to spend my time/effort. Cooking comes immediately to mind, as does laundry.
Old May 9, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Clearly an idea stolen directly from The Big Bang Theory - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5pTKqKaElA

Old May 11, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This could make sense for someone who travels so much that they don't maintain a home, provided that one can store a reasonable number of clothes for different seasons and types of destinations.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Popping this thread up again as I just signed up for DUFL using a three trip free promo code from my company. Happy to answer any questions (note I just signed up today so haven't used the service just yet).
Old May 4, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EP
Re-POP - gooseman13 did you use it?

Very curious to hear any feedback. Haven't been on FT in years, but still get the newsletter and bounced on to search and see if anyone here was using DUFL and had thoughts. Found this ancient thread. They are based in my hometown even!
Old May 4, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Edit: Nevermind, thread is very old

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.