Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Light/compact yet rugged backpack for business/weekend trips

Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals

Hello, very new to the 'Travel Products' forum so I apologize if this was posted before:

I am planning to buy a small backpack for domestic trips, mainly weekend trips. I already have a Samsonite Xenon 2 backpack that I got about 3 years ago. But it's bulky, and I really use it mostly for international travel. I also have a Brennan briefcase from Calvin Klein for work, that I have started using for my weekend trips, as it is not bulky, and holds my tablet and a few other essentials well. However, I am considering something in the likes of a Northface Backpack (small, yet holds all the essentials and you can put a combination lock on it, if required) or a Nike Departure 2 backpack. Also, looked at a couple of TUMI backpacks, but not sure that they are worth the price!

So, FT'ers, any inputs in this regard is highly appreciated!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
With that size, looks like this would be a main carry-on bag with the essentials for a laptop. I have a smaller Tumi backpack and it is far from lightweight. In the 41l capacity range, take a look at the Farpoint 40, which in M/L is 41l. It has a laptop sleeve.

Osprey Farpoint 40
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:05 pm

Osprey packs are a good recommendation ! We have three at the house now.

Gregory is another favorite
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: US Gold
I have the Osprey Farpoint 40, and while I don't use it a lot (because I'd rather have a roller bag when possible), I'm pretty happy with it.

wg
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:35 am

eBags' weekend convertible - full or jr size
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Look at Tom Bihn they have a host of backpacks that you can use. I bought a brain bag for my granddaughter for college, and she loves it. They are quite expensive, but will last a lifetime.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Thank you all for the suggestions! Looks like Osprey Farpoint 40 have the majority votes. I would definitely look into it! Gregory and Tom Bihn are two other options that I am considering as well. Now, DECISIONS DECISIONS!!
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:34 pm

I have two North Face bags, a couple no-name bags and some minor designer bags. My suggestion is to go with a Filson or an Osprey bag. I use my NF bags mostly for hunting to haul around a few candy bars and some water. They have a great name and some of their stuff is really good, but I haven't bought a new NF bag in many years. I have friends who backpacked throughout Europe on one of their 60L bags, but that's bigger than you want.

I suggest either a Kelty, a Mountain Hardware or a Osprey pack. I have a Mountain Hardware I use for weeklong hostelling and it does the job without attracting attention or screaming "Pick me, I'm worth stealing".

C
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Thank you all for the suggestions! Looks like Osprey Farpoint 40 have the majority votes. I would definitely look into it! Gregory and Tom Bihn are two other options that I am considering as well. Now, DECISIONS DECISIONS!!
Another vote for the Tom Bihn backpacks. The previously recommended Brain Bag holds a TON and will easily work for many different trips, but it might be a tad "backpackerish" for business settings (though in black it can work). The Bihn Synapse 25 is much sleeker looking at the cost of somewhat less capacity. Both can accommodate laptops of various size in their "cache" sleeves. Well built bags, made in the US... well worth the cost
Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:13 am

For a business setting and with a suite I would recommend the Seiz Urbanpack 01 @ 139 Euro: http://www.seizpacks.com/en/discover/b01

It was designed with business men and a suite in mind. I think it looks elegant and wide straps that will prevent wrinkles on the jacket.

It also comes in a super cool solar kit version (that enables you to charge your devices) 328 Euro so not cheap but very cool...
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:14 am

eBags TLS workstation. I've been using one for 4 years now, every day back and forth to work. No failures, no complaints. Fits nicely overhead and underseat.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.