Reload this Page >

VOCIER - suit wrinkle-free in a carry-on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VOCIER - suit wrinkle-free in a carry-on

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Vocier - I have been shopping for an understated but luxurious garment bag for several months, but I've been coming up empty handed. I specifically want something made in North America or Europe, and specifically don't want anything made in Asia.

That cuts out all the major premium luggage brands like Tumi, B&R, Hartmann, Victorinox, etc... Rimowa doesn't make a carry on garment bag / suiter.

The ultra-luxury brands are either too ostentatious in design, or simply ridiculously priced (ie. $5,000+).

There are some boutique leather crafters in the USA (ie. Glaser Designs and Frank Clegg) but they all have major compromises, either in design or lead time.

Your product appears to be nearly perfect. I'd like to just clarify: what is the country of origin / manufacture? Hoping it's not China / Asia at your ultra-premium price point.

Also, assuming you're not made in Asia, if you're close to having your 4-wheel spinner out, I'd love to be an early adopter / tester of that new design.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, DL PLT, HH DIA, IHG PLT, Hertz PLT, Bonvoy GLD, Avis Pres Club
Nevermind. $1200 for Made in China. I think not.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Trojanman, thank you for your concern. May I ask you why you dislike anything coming from Asia?
Concerning our product, the fact is, the majority of value added of our product is in Europe. Leather is Italian. Plastic parts are from Austria. These components already make most of the value of the product. Zippers are YKK from Japan.

To tell you a funny and sad, but anyways true story: We first tried to have our product (several components coming from all over the world) sewn together in Italy. I was flying to tuscany, meeting a guy called Luca. Out of the airport I step, being greeted by a Chinese guy who brings me to a Chinese factory. Where all the workers are Chinese, workers who come over to Europe on short term 3-month visas and then go back to China, then come again. This factory made products for Gucci, Prada, and some more. "Made in Italy". What does that mean?
But that was not important to us. The one and only important thing was: Could they make our product?! They could not. Too complicated.

While our product is very easy to use, it is really hard and special to make. The know-how of how to do that stuff (on the industrial scale we needed) is (sadly, from an European perspective at least) now in Asia.
And our goal is always to bring our customers the best possible product. If the know-how for that is now in Asia, we have to do some steps in Asia. If Japanese companies do better Zippers than any other, we buy the zippers from Japan. If Italien family tanneries know better how to do leather, we buy from them.

Our customers come from all over the world. And they use our product to go all over the world. And likewise our products are made from stuff that comes from all over the world. We are proud of that.

As mentioned, if you look at value-added, which in our opinion is the best proxy to the question "where is it made", the majority of that is in Europe.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:32 pm

I have now been using the C38 for a couple of months, pretty much on a weekly basis. Observations:
1) Fewer wrinkles: These past two months have found me packing primarily four shirts and an extra pair of pants - all business-casual - into the C38 suit sleeve. I appreciate that is not the "leading practice" as to how this suit sleeve should be used, but... the shirts, while not wrinkle free, consistently come out with fewer wrinkles than when packed in my old Tumi Alpha.
2) The size is indeed not bin-compliant. This has not affected me yet, as with my status on DL I find myself sitting almost always up front. A day may come though...
3) The name tag... Vocier, what were you thinking? It looks nice, but is antithesis of the otherwise practicality of this bag.
4) The bag had a bit of a wobble for the first 3 weeks or so (as though not all four base points - wheels and feet - were on the same plane). As I hoped, the issue disappeared with wear.
5) The shortcut to the toiletries bag is VERY handy.

Overall, a solid and very innovative bag. I am quite happy.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by blue2002
I have now been using the C38 for a couple of months, pretty much on a weekly basis. Observations:
2) The size is indeed not bin-compliant. This has not affected me yet, as with my status on DL I find myself sitting almost always up front. A day may come though...

I noted to Vocier, earlier in this thread, that for Americans who fly primarily domestically, that they should make a US version of their carry-on, 22x14x9 inches. It's one of the reasons I won't make the purchase.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:41 am
Original Poster

blue2002 and MtlTourist, you are right that the dimensions are slightly different than the US-norm.
Basically, the European & Asian Standard is a bit wider but less deep; the US Standard is a bit deeper but less wide. For international Travel, you may technically need our current Size rather than the US-Size.
Actually, the max size also depends on the Alliance. As far as I know, OneWorld has the US-Standard globally for all Airlines, but StarAlliance has the European size for all Airlines....

This situation is enormously frustrating both for luggage manufacturers and for customers. After all, our customers would need two versions of luggage to work on a global world and that is surely not helpful. This is the same situation for every luggage brand.
Solutions? Well, we could offer a luggage that is both less deep and less wide (the smallest common denominator), but that would seriously reduce luggage space. Not a good solution for frequent flyers who usually go carry-on only.

Other solution? Offer two versions like everyone else does -> yes we want to do that but it is not so easy for a startup both in terms of mold investments and logistics. But we WILL offer that.

The most practical solution?
Actually, the Plane designers are aware of that problem, and so most overhead bins have a real restriction in terms of luggage height (55-58cm), but there is no real close physical limit for the luggage width and depth. And as a result, almost everywhere you fly, you practically could almost always pack a luggage that is like the maximum common denominator of the two standards. Thats not the law, but it is a reality.

So the best thing, no matter what luggage you carry, really is to just smile handsomely to whoever checks your luggage size. Worked for me thus far, also in economy, especially if I travel only with a carry-on, which I always do.
Or buy two sizes, which makes me happy as a manufacturer but sad as a customer.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blue2002
3) The name tag... Vocier, what were you thinking? It looks nice, but is antithesis of the otherwise practicality of this bag.
yes you are soooo right about that, emberrassingly.
good news is that newer bags shipped today have a better, slightly larger name tag already....
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:59 am

Carry on size in North America...

Originally Posted by VOCIER
I have received approval from moderator Wharvey before starting this thread.

We are a small startup from Austria and have developed a unique luggage that can carry your suit essentially wrinkle-free in a carry-on size:

Looking forward to hear from you!
If you can let this group know when you *actually* support international carry on dimensions I would become a customer pretty quick. Love the luggage, hate that fact that it's not "carry-on" size in North America.

Let us know!

.C
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:54 am

Voices carry on suit carrier

I bought one in 2015 and have used it once or twice a year since. Whilst internally very nicely made it has several major functional faults,
1. It is difficult to find a suitable padlock. WHY IS ONE NOT BUILT IN.
2. The internal hanger is too narrow and too slippery so suits tend yo slide off.
2. The magnets holding the side and top handles together are no way near strong enough. Both sets are usually undone at the end of a trip.
3. The main handles seized extended on the last trip. Great force from my chauffeur required.

TIME TO THROW IT OUT.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maldoc
I bought one in 2015 and have used it once or twice a year since. Whilst internally very nicely made it has several major functional faults,
1. It is difficult to find a suitable padlock. WHY IS ONE NOT BUILT IN.
2. The internal hanger is too narrow and too slippery so suits tend yo slide off.
2. The magnets holding the side and top handles together are no way near strong enough. Both sets are usually undone at the end of a trip.
3. The main handles seized extended on the last trip. Great force from my chauffeur required.
Dear Maldoc,

you are right about the faults of your early 2015 model. if you study this thread, we have made numerous improvements since that time, including but not limited to:
-a wider non-slip hanger
-side handle moved to the other side with no need to open them and no magnets
-we also improved the handle quality

please contact us at [email protected], we will be glad to send you a replacement model. As you may not know, we give a 100 day trial satisfaction guarantee to our customers. In your case the 100 days have passed but we will still honor our promise to keep you satisfied.

So yes, your critique of our first 2015 model is warranted, but I am 1000% sure you will like our updated model of today. Please contact us at [email protected] to receive yours.

kind regards,
VOCIER
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longer
If you can let this group know when you *actually* support international carry on dimensions I would become a customer pretty quick. Love the luggage, hate that fact that it's not "carry-on" size in North America.

Let us know!

.C
OK will do!!! It is coming, promised!
Fliar likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:46 pm

Review of bag

I have recently purchased the C38 carry in in u am afraid you can not say that this bag results in zero creases. I used it on a 3 day business trip recently and my suit had creases both times I packed my bag. For 599€ I am very disappointed with this product and regret the purchase. I don't think it's possible for any product to guarantee a crease free suit
Old Feb 18, 2018, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Hi Bagman, please see our tips on how to pack: https://www.vocier.com/how-to-pack/
if you adhere to the tips, especially not packing after it was worn or after it was freshly ironed, you will do remarkably well! We have thousands and thousands of customers by now who are very happy indeed with the results they are getting.

Please remember that if you still do not like it for whatever reason after trying all the packing tips, you can always return it up until 100 days after purchase, even when used and tried on travels, for a full refund!
just write us at [email protected] to receive return instructions. We provide these generous return policies because we are aware that people may want to try for themselves with peace of mind, and because we know it works really well in general.
Old Feb 18, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Bagman788
I have recently purchased the C38 carry in in u am afraid you can not say that this bag results in zero creases. I used it on a 3 day business trip recently and my suit had creases both times I packed my bag. For 599€ I am very disappointed with this product and regret the purchase. I don't think it's possible for any product to guarantee a crease free suit
Welcome to FT!

What an amazing first post!

Get a life!
leftax, blue2002 and Tony_B like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, Emirates Skywards, Hertz President’s Circle, Leading Hotels of the World
I received my F38 today. Shipping took all of one day to New Jersey. I had not expected to get it so soon, but I will put it to use this week on a 5-day trip.

First impression is that it is the most luxurious piece of travel gear I have ever owned, by far. Appears to be extremely well-crafted of very high-end material. I especially like the cloth that lines the suit; it is very soft and smooth. The system is ingenious. I don't need to explain how it works in this thread, obviously, but suffice to say that everything works just like in the video.

I immediately packed a suit according the directions and left it in the bag for 12 hours, rolling it around and carrying it up and down stairs several times. Upon removal from the F38, the suit looked as if I had just pulled it out of the closet. So far, so good.

Two concerns. First, durability. While the structure of the case appears very rugged, I have never had a leather suitcase before, so I'm a little trepidatious about how the exterior will withstand going up and down escalators and sliding around in overhead bins.

Second, capacity. I have been lugging my B&R Baseline Domestic Expandable Upright (Two-Wheel) all over the world for years. It's a very roomy carry-on. The F38 is . . . not. I immediately ran out and bought a large Tumi carry-on duffel with a trolley passthrough (Buckley), because I am so spoiled for space. It doesn't meet the "personal item" size restrictions, but that is never a problem for me.

Over the next 4 weeks, I will be traveling to San Diego, Washington D.C., Los Angeles, Aspen, Luxembourg and Amsterdam. I will report back on the F38's real-life performance when I get back.
DirtyDan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.