Wiki Posts
Search

Best 3-4 day Business Carry-On

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Best 3-4 day Business Carry-On

Hi there,

I am going to be needing a carry-on bag, as I have just embarked on a new career that requires me to travel Sunday/Monday - Thursday each week.

I need a bag that:
1. Is carry-on (ie fits with most Canadian and American Airlines guidelines)
2. Fits enough business clothes and a laptop for the 4 day period (I am a woman if that makes a difference) - likely 3 dress shirts, 2 suit jackets, a dress/skirt, dress pants, heels, cosmetics
3. Durable
4. "Professional" looking

Any help is appreciated
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
I recently purchased the Rimowa Salsa Deluxe Cabin Multiwheel. I can go a whole week with it. Highly recommended.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Take a look at this one: http://www.tumi.com/na/p/continental...D2?subcat=true
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I use the Briggs & Riley 22 U122cx. It fits in all the overhead bins except on RJ.
It holds a couple weeks of clothes if you need it, and a week with no problem.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:23 am

You need to state your budget and which airlines you frequent the most. If you don't mind, you can even state your size - for men, it helps if you have a taller carry on for larger sized dudes as shoulders get squeezed on shorter carry ons. For ladies I found it's the shoes!!! Nowadays, the stylish ladies carry around 2 or 3 pairs with really high heels which take up ridiculous amount of space.

if ou fall into that "shoe" camp, you would benefit from the "book opening" style of Remowas and Hartmanns. (equal space between each part of the compartment with zipper close on one side and mesh divider) Basically, all the shoes will go to the mesh divided side which will have about 3 inches of depth.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
RedOxx AirBoss.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'm also a woman with the same travel pattern. I'd recommend you travel with a cheap bag from a discount store for a month or so. See how it feels and I'll make you realize what you need and don't need (ie, jackets in a suiter? Multiple compartments?)

For me, I downsized from an Eagle Creek Tarmac 20in to a 14in rolling tote that fits in every aircraft (even tiny regional jets). The eagle creek is amazing and I still use it when I need the space but most of my trips it was too big but I recommend it fully.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I use a Victorinox WT duffle bag in blue for 2-3 day trips, and a 20" Victorinox NXT 5.0 suitcase in navy blue for longer trips.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: AC *G, Fairmont Plat
I would suggest the small Banff Bag Tribe by Roots. It is professional appearing and very durable. It will fit on-board even small planes (Dash 8s). It may not be quite big enough for 4-5 days but Roots does make a larger size. Overall, it is a great weekender+ bag.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Have been traveling at that rate for a while now
I have several bags, but the most versatile bag I have, is this one. And the price is right. And the bag is pretty light at about 4.5 lbs.

Now if you want something that will last, I have this one's grand-daddy from about 16 years ago, and still goes on strong, but it is a bit of an investment... and it is close to 12 lbs.

I really like the Big Oxx and Tom Bihn products and have several of them and Big Oxx's small aviator (modified a tad) is my to go bag when I have a regional leg, but a. you need to make sure that you feel comfortable with a carry and not wheeled bag and b. they are not that "professional". I have seen women colleagues using Vera Bradley duffle bags. They are about equally professional if that makes sense.

One thing that I would invest in, is packing cubes and folders, esp for shirts. Makes packing (and unpacking and repacking much easier.) I really wouldn't jump to a huge bag investment, if I were you, just figure out what you want and what works for you. You will soon realize that one bag does not fit all trips, so budget for subsequent purchases...

Good luck!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I swear by my BR 20 Widebody - I can easily stuff 4-5 days of clothes in there, although it does require me to expand it sometime depending on the bulkiness of the clothes, which while technically out of bounds for airline sizers, still fits just fine in the majority of mainline overhead bins. When not expanded, it will fit on the wide side of the ERJ17x/19x aircraft as well.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:00 pm

Red Oxx Air Boss

http://www.redoxx.com/Shop-by-Gear-I...018/13/Product
Old Mar 13, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, AA AC, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by John Isaac
After using Samsonite and Ogio rolling bags for years, I ordered a Red Oxx Air Boss yesterday. Time for something new...
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by camjr
After using Samsonite and Ogio rolling bags for years, I ordered a Red Oxx Air Boss yesterday. Time for something new...
Welcome to the Red Oxx family. Their products are addictive. Before you know it, you'll have an Air Boss, Sky Train, Gypsy, CPA, 2 Lil Roys, a Gator and an Aviator. Like me.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Deleted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.