Search

The perfect garment bag- help!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The perfect garment bag- help!

Fellow FTers-

My dad travels once a week- combination of car and plane trips. As many of you know, the perfect bag matters, especially when it comes to carrying a suit. A few weeks ago he described the perfect garment bag, but said he couldn't find it. Apparently Samsonite made something along the right lines about 25 years ago, but it got stolen in Ireland and he hasn't been able to find the same model.

I have searched high and low, but haven't found something that fits most his requirements. I have more faith in you all regardless. The ten features-

-It simply HAS to fit in overhead compartments — he never, never checks luggage
-Lightweight
-Has built-in wheels
-“Garment bag” hang-up space for (at least) 4 button-up shirts and 1 pair of pants
-The entire bag will hang up from one nail/hook, creating a kind of workstation he can “live out of” during his typical week-long trip. He wants it to have a drop down ''shelf'' where you can lay clothes when the garment bag is hung up. Probably the hardest requirement.
-Easy access from the outside so that TSA clear bag of liquids
-A large, open cavity for packing socks, underwear, t-shirts, etc.
-Space for a laptop if I want to reduce to just one carry-on
-Extra points if it has lots of cool compartments and pockets for smaller items.
-Not so expensive that it makes me feel guilty for purchasing it.

Extra feature I am sure he wants is the space to put a pair of shoes in the typical spots most garment bags have.

Any ideas? The closest I have found is https://www.vocier.com/product/c38/ However, the price is absurdly high for a bag with a 2 year warranty.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:52 am

I don't think the Vocier bag is very spacious.... personally it's a no-go whenever I have to use special hangers or special washbags or whatever that is custom for the bag. who has time to replace hangers? I use the Briggs Riley U175 (the older version which was about 1/2 inch longer) whenever I need to carry more than 1 suit. from getting up and out-the-door, I can do it in 45 mins. I don't pack carefully and just throw evertyhing in. And I tried folding suits and other orgami techniques. takes too much time. YMMV.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:01 am

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
Take a look at the Gate8 Trifold Cabin Bag 2.0. I know there is a thread on it.
http://www.gate8-luggage.com/trifold-cabin-bag
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Maybe this is what you are looking for: http://www.tumi.com/na/p/carry-on-4-...D2?subcat=true

It has no compartment specifically designed for a laptop, but one of the front zippered ones is large enough to hold medium size laptops.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:36 am

Smile

Originally Posted by MotownMan
Fellow FTers-

My dad travels once a week- combination of car and plane trips. As many of you know, the perfect bag matters, especially when it comes to carrying a suit. A few weeks ago he described the perfect garment bag, but said he couldn't find it. Apparently Samsonite made something along the right lines about 25 years ago, but it got stolen in Ireland and he hasn't been able to find the same model.

I have searched high and low, but haven't found something that fits most his requirements. I have more faith in you all regardless. The ten features-

-It simply HAS to fit in overhead compartments — he never, never checks luggage
-Lightweight
-Has built-in wheels
-“Garment bag” hang-up space for (at least) 4 button-up shirts and 1 pair of pants
-The entire bag will hang up from one nail/hook, creating a kind of workstation he can “live out of” during his typical week-long trip. He wants it to have a drop down ''shelf'' where you can lay clothes when the garment bag is hung up. Probably the hardest requirement.
-Easy access from the outside so that TSA clear bag of liquids
-A large, open cavity for packing socks, underwear, t-shirts, etc.
-Space for a laptop if I want to reduce to just one carry-on
-Extra points if it has lots of cool compartments and pockets for smaller items.
-Not so expensive that it makes me feel guilty for purchasing it.

Extra feature I am sure he wants is the space to put a pair of shoes in the typical spots most garment bags have.

Any ideas? The closest I have found is https://www.vocier.com/product/c38/ However, the price is absurdly high for a bag with a 2 year warranty.
If I were you I'd tell him to get a Cabin-1 roller bag, as the size is adjustable but it's a carry on bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.