Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Looking for carry-on suggestion

Old Feb 28, 2015, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Hello folks- new around here. I started with a simple desire to get a decent carry-on bag, but the more research I've done, the more my head is spinning. I don't do that much traveling, so I thought I'd come here to ask you seasoned pros.

I'm going to be flying Delta out of MSP and SLC this summer. What I want is a carry-on that is as big as possible, but is GUARANTEED to fit in Delta's 22x14x9 sizer, and is preferably light weight. Don't need a lot of front expandability, and I can be swayed either way on the 2/4 wheels. Looking to keep it around $200 or less if possible, but am willing to spend more if necessary.

After looking around at various bags for the last couple of weeks, it gets very confusing very quickly about the actual outside dimensions of these bags. Hopefully some of you road warriors here can point me in the right direction.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:29 pm

Programs: US Gold
I don't think anyone around here but me uses this particular bag, but I've had one of LL Bean's Quickload roller duffles (medium size) for nearly 13 years, and it's been excellent throughout. I don't think you'll find a bag that holds more for its size, and it's one of the lighter-weight bags in its class (about 6lb). I have never had any trouble carrying it on except on one of the smallest regional planes, but I don't fly Delta. Given LL Bean's attitude to returns, however, there's no reason you couldn't buy the bag, take it to the airport, and test it in the sizer.

With any soft bag, it matters how you pack it. The UK was for a while rather obsessive about measurements and insisting people put their bags in the sizer, so I got in the habit of measuring the bag myself before leaving home.

If I were buying a bag now, I'd weigh up between this one and Eagle Creek's 22in and 20in Load Warriors. Capacity wise, this one would win hands down. The Eagle Creek bags are a shade lighter, probably easier not to overpack, and have some neat features.

wg
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:04 pm

I will second a mention for Eagle Creek luggage. I have a Hovercraft 20 which I believe morphed into the Tarmac 20. I fly DL exclusively and have never had an issue with this fitting overhead on DL metal. I know it's slightly more than you were wanting to spend but it's reasonably priced for a very good product. I am a big guy and don't have a hard time using a 20 for my needs but all my travel is leisure.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HHonors Silver, United MileagePlus, Jet Blue TrueBlue
I almost bought this bag a year or so ago and now its on final sale. eBags has 15 and 20% off coupons as well. It fits not only domestic but international requirements and if you can get past the color (I like it) it could be a steal! Excellent reviews too:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/e...uctid=10291925

The domestic carry-on version is about $30 more:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/e...uctid=10287884

Both these bags way under $200!
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

DELETED

Last edited by dberthia; Mar 3, 2015 at 5:28 pm
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

I ended-up buying an Eagle Creek Load Warrior 22 Rolling Duffle. It looks like exactly what I want, and I even got it for under $200 on eBags. Thanks for the guidance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.